WG3526 Frequent Website disconnects

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
Nr1864
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

WG3526 Frequent Website disconnects

Post by Nr1864 »

EM20 Firmware: EM20GRUR01A08M4G
WG3526 Firmware: GoldenOrb_2020-05-16

I'm not exactly sure what is wrong. My devices keep loosing connection to websites (not to modem/router). Like one minute I can access all websites. Next minute I can only access some (such as Facebook, Google, YouTube, etc). But then websites like Amazon won't come in. I normally have my WG3526 connected by ethernet to my AC3100, which is my main router. I plugged my laptop into my WG3526, to test connection directly, and it's the exact same. So I know my problem is either with my EM20, or with my WG3526.

WG3526 is with default settings (fresh flash of firmware).

Help would be greatly appreciated! I can't do work or zoom classes with it like this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Didneywhorl

Re: WG3526 Frequent Website disconnects

Post by Didneywhorl »

You have dhcp renew set to every hour?

Have you tried changing name servers?

Which service are you using? Are you losing only certain ports? I think I've heard ATT is starting to shut certain ports, like 80, down after a random period of time.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Sounds like a DNS issue to me. Had this happen before. Set up DNS settings. One way to test this is use 1.1.1.1 app on your phone and if that fixes it on your phone then you know to set DNS on router.
eschmid2

Post by eschmid2 »

I agree it sounds like a DNS name server issue.

When looking at your logs at the bottom you have 3 entries for using nameserver ... one of them looks spot on 8.8.8.8, the other starting with fc00 looks like an IPV6 name server and then finally the third starting with 172.26 that's an IP address and it looks like it would be an IP address on a local network implying that there was a private DNS set up on a server or computer/device on your local network. If your system is pointing to all of these to resolve names it could be getting confused and coming up empty hence the connection issue especially if it cant find anything on the 172.26 .....

Check your custom DNS settings in your firmware for IPV4 , I use a primary 8.8.8.8 and secondary 9.9.9.9 and no IPV6 custom DNS. When I tried other servers that were supposedly faster like Cloudfare 1.1.1.1 I would get the same issues you are describing. so I fell back to the 8.8.8.8 and 9.9.9.9.

Also you don't need custom DNS nameservers as your ISP can do this task so you may want to try not specifying any custom DNS servers and letting your ISP handle it. Usually the custom DNS is to improve performance and privacy as your ISP can sell your browsing history to third parties. if you go with a private DNS server company that doesn't sell your data that might be a preference of yours ... but its not necessary

My suggestion is to go to your network settings and take out any custom DNS name servers for both IPV4 and IPV6. Test things out to see how it goes. Then try using 8.8.8.8 and 9.9.9.9 on IPV4 and nothing on IPV6 and see if it improves things.

Perhaps take pictures of your logs and post them. Look to see if the changes you made show in the nameserver log entries ... mine look like below:

Wed Oct 7 07:07:31 2020 daemon.info dnsmasq[29133]: using nameserver 8.8.8.8#53
Wed Oct 7 07:07:31 2020 daemon.info dnsmasq[29133]: using nameserver 9.9.9.9#53

Hope this helps! BY the way I am using Wg3526 with same firmware as yours with an EP06-A modem
Nr1864
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Nr1864 »

eschmid2 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:10 pm I agree it sounds like a DNS name server issue.

When looking at your logs at the bottom you have 3 entries for using nameserver ... one of them looks spot on 8.8.8.8, the other starting with fc00 looks like an IPV6 name server and then finally the third starting with 172.26 that's an IP address and it looks like it would be an IP address on a local network implying that there was a private DNS set up on a server or computer/device on your local network. If your system is pointing to all of these to resolve names it could be getting confused and coming up empty hence the connection issue especially if it cant find anything on the 172.26 .....

Check your custom DNS settings in your firmware for IPV4 , I use a primary 8.8.8.8 and secondary 9.9.9.9 and no IPV6 custom DNS. When I tried other servers that were supposedly faster like Cloudfare 1.1.1.1 I would get the same issues you are describing. so I fell back to the 8.8.8.8 and 9.9.9.9.

Also you don't need custom DNS nameservers as your ISP can do this task so you may want to try not specifying any custom DNS servers and letting your ISP handle it. Usually the custom DNS is to improve performance and privacy as your ISP can sell your browsing history to third parties. if you go with a private DNS server company that doesn't sell your data that might be a preference of yours ... but its not necessary

My suggestion is to go to your network settings and take out any custom DNS name servers for both IPV4 and IPV6. Test things out to see how it goes. Then try using 8.8.8.8 and 9.9.9.9 on IPV4 and nothing on IPV6 and see if it improves things.

Perhaps take pictures of your logs and post them. Look to see if the changes you made show in the nameserver log entries ... mine look like below:

Wed Oct 7 07:07:31 2020 daemon.info dnsmasq[29133]: using nameserver 8.8.8.8#53
Wed Oct 7 07:07:31 2020 daemon.info dnsmasq[29133]: using nameserver 9.9.9.9#53

Hope this helps! BY the way I am using Wg3526 with same firmware as yours with an EP06-A modem

I'm sincerely sorry for the trouble. But can you please direct me to how I should remove my custom dns name servers? I just removed 8.8.8.8 under Network/Interfaces/LAN. However I can only apply DNS for the interface(?), and not for the IPv4 or IPv6. And regarding the 172.26 address you mentioned in the beginning, I have no idea what/where that is.

I'm using my WG3526 strictly as a modem. My router is connected to it by ethernet. Are you setup the same way? Or are you using the bands on your WG3526?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Try using Modem-->Connection Profile for the DNS entries. Enter there both ipv4 and ipv6 DNS entries and they should supersede all other settings.
eschmid2

Post by eschmid2 »

Hi,

I am using WG3526 as a modem with an access point. I assume you have your router set-up as an access point only. ASUS instructions are here:

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1015009/

Check administration menu and operation mode to ensure this is showing access point mode otherwise the devices will be conflicting each other.

In order to troubleshoot your situation further you may consider disconnecting the router and using purely the WG3526 with its radio (2.4 and 5 GHz whatever you are using) on. Eliminating variables is a good practice when things are getting complicated

Didneywhorl suggestion covers IPV4 DNS settings , go to the same screen and scroll down to IPV6 settings, select ADVANCED and at the bottom of that screen make sure there are no entries for announced DNS servers for IPV6

Here is what my screens look like for reference:

modemlanipv6.JPG

There is also another place in Goldenorb for configuring DNS servers, this additional setting is under MODEM --> CONNECTION PROFILES --> ADVANCED for DNS server entries as I am showing below. I don't know the hierarchy of the menu's so I set my DNS servers in both locations (what Didneywhorl recommended and as shown below):

ModemConnectionMenu.JPG

Another suggestion ... in my menu below you may note I have disabled IPV6 (IPV6 assignment length), I don't find much use for it and it was preventing some of my devices from connecting, You may also try to disable IPV6 to simplify the situation for troubleshooting

modemlan.JPG

Also I assume you are not trying to run a VPN , is that correct?

You can check here: SERVICES --> OPEN VPN, make sure there are no entries as shown below:

MODEMVPN.JPG

Again, trying to simplify for troubleshooting ... if you use a VPN then remove it test without VPN. Re-setup after the system is working without it and see if its related to VPN

After trying no DNS servers, if that doesn't work, do try the 8.8.8.8 and 9.9.9.9 make sure to use both of these DNS servers so you have a primary and secondary specified.

So in summary what I would try:

1. Disconnect the router and isolate the WG3526 to simplify the system

2. Remove DNS name sever designations in both LAN menu and Modem Profile menu

3. Verify no VPN is being used

4. Disable IPV6 (IPV6 assignment length disabled in LAN menu)

5. Test to see if this resolves things

If this does not resolve things ...

6. Add custom DNS servers of 8.8.8.8 and 9.9.9.9 in both LAN and Modem Profile menu's as described above

7. Test again

Please let us know the steps you have taken and test results.

Return to “General and Unclassified”