Tethering Mifi via Ethernet? Other router combo suggestions?

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
SlickWickz
Has thanked: 0

Tethering Mifi via Ethernet? Other router combo suggestions?

Post by SlickWickz »

Hello.
This is my first post here. I am so happy to have found this place and not be alone in my quest for high speed high quality internet over cell tech. What a ride... and the rabbit hole seems to always get deeper haha.

Anyways, my question. So I just got finished with Nomad Internet (nightmare experience) and I've ordered Calyx, which seems to have good reviews. I'm hoping that they're able to continue to provide the service for a while, with the merger with T-Mobile. They don't offer the mifi 8000 directly anymore, so I ordered one off of Ebay. Should have it before I even have the Calyx order (which includes a Link Zone 2, which I know will not suit my needs). I have a unique problem though. I see that people are having an easy time using the usb tether with a RT-68U or better ASUS router. But I have a pair of Gryphon mesh routers that I'd really like to use. Problem with that is that they do not have a usb jack on them (supposed to be more solid for security).

When I got that set, I was living in the city and had access to all of the cable, fiber, etc options. I didn't know I would be moving out to the mountains. So this wasn't even considered at the time. But the Gryphon routers are excellent devices and I'd really like to employ them in my internet setup here. They're not cheap, with a set costing $400.

So the real question here, is, is there a way to use the Gryphon router with the mifi 8000 modem combo? Or am I going to need to buy another setup and build my own modem/router or buy something like the 4000D (which I'm hoping this tower near our place is good. Its supposed to be band 41 Sprint. The tower is unverified on cellmapper and I don't know what that means). Any input towards using the Gryphon mesh routers in unison would be greatly appreciated. I ordered a pair of panel antennas that I will be aiming towards the band 41 tower after I confirm that its there (any tips on how to figure out what bands the mifi 8000 is connected to would be great too, since I'm unsure of that so far).

One thing that I've ordered and have no idea if it will work, is to order this ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AQ ... UTF8&psc=1 ). I kind of doubt that its going to work, but I figured I'd give it a shot. Its just a ethernet to usb jack. I'm not sure that the devices will be compatible though. Any thoughts on this too?

I think thats it. :P I really appreciate you all and any ideas you want to throw my way.

Return to “General and Unclassified”