I have no idea what I'm doing but I want to do it right

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
gscheb

Re: I have no idea what I'm doing but I want to do it right

Post by gscheb »

You got some more steps to get visible to work. So do you have it all put together?
RuralinternetSucks
Has thanked: 0

Post by RuralinternetSucks »

Adm1jtg wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:40 am Possible. I am not on visible anymore as I was able to switch to a true Verizon service. I can give you details on that as well. If you get the imei and phone number info on the modern page then it's usually something to do with the sim being denied. If the sim works properly in another device you may need "refresh" the imei of the ep06 to match that if the device it works in and then retire that device
I will have to try that later. I've been at it almost three hours now so I need to go back to my current house and crash for work tonight 😩
RuralinternetSucks

gscheb wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:42 am You got some more steps to get visible to work. So do you have it all put together?
Yes except for outside Yagi antennas. I'm just trying to get the router/modem working
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

RuralinternetSucks wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:43 am I will have to try that later. I've been at it almost three hours now so I need to go back to my current house and crash for work tonight 😩
Np we will get it all working
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Once it is put together and all that will need to do at commands to get modem to work with visible.
Here is the link to set this up on a Quectel modem.

https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=32 ... lit#p11658
RuralinternetSucks

gscheb wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:14 am Once it is put together and all that will need to do at commands to get modem to work with visible.
Here is the link to set this up on a Quectel modem.

https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=32 ... lit#p11658
I will try that tomorrow morning. Thanks.
RuralinternetSucks

Hey guys I just realized, do I need two runs of cable, one for each yagi antenna? It totally slipped my mind and I only ordered one.

If I only need one cable and I'm doing a mimo setup, how do I connect both antennas to the router? Is there an adapter I need to combine the two antenna? I'm confused lol.

I tried googling a mimo step by step guide but they are all either general information on physical setup or very in-depth explanations of how mimo works.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Two wires
Two antennas
Two sma connectors on the router/modem
RuralinternetSucks

gscheb wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:23 pm Two wires
Two antennas
Two sma connectors on the router/modem
Thank you 👍
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

lol he beat me to it this time.... yes two of everything the idea being basically 2 parallel paths, so 2 antennas, 2 cables, 2 sma adaptors and plug it into two seperate ports on the router
RuralinternetSucks

Adm1jtg wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:44 pm lol he beat me to it this time.... yes two of everything the idea being basically 2 parallel paths, so 2 antennas, 2 cables, 2 sma adaptors and plug it into two seperate ports on the router
Do you know if I was correct on my connectors in the modem? I connected to m1 and D1 bit there was a third. No idea what it's for. Labeled ds2/g I think
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

RuralinternetSucks wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:24 pm Do you know if I was correct on my connectors in the modem? I connected to m1 and D1 bit there was a third. No idea what it's for. Labeled ds2/g I think
Yes sounds right....Ds2/g believe is the gps connector
RuralinternetSucks

All right I'm using speech to text so sorry if some words come out a little funky. I'm currently driving home from my new house I got the router working but obviously the signals garbage where I'm at without any outside antennas. the problem I seem to have is that it's connecting to a different tower on band 5 I would connect to this tower randomly and very rarely and it usually goes back to Band 13 after less than a minute . The reason why I don't like the tower that runs on band 5 is because the data rates are horrible. Is there any way to disable band 5 and make my router pick up band 13? The funny thing is is that my cell phone was picking up band 13 while my router was picking up band 5 and my cell phone was having better signal strength than the band 5.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

RuralinternetSucks wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:24 am All right I'm using speech to text so sorry if some words come out a little funky. I'm currently driving home from my new house I got the router working but obviously the signals garbage where I'm at without any outside antennas. the problem I seem to have is that it's connecting to a different tower on band 5 I would connect to this tower randomly and very rarely and it usually goes back to Band 13 after less than a minute . The reason why I don't like the tower that runs on band 5 is because the data rates are horrible. Is there any way to disable band 5 and make my router pick up band 13? The funny thing is is that my cell phone was picking up band 13 while my router was picking up band 5 and my cell phone was having better signal strength than the band 5.
Very common for the phone not to match the router. As far as restricting bands, yes you can, but I would wait. The nature of the yagi antennas you bought are to point and pinpoint one specfic tower. Unless the 2 towers in question are in the same direction and fairly close together once the antennas are in place and pointed correctly the problem of jumping to the wrong tower should resolve itself. Once you have the correct tower "dialed in" then you systematically test each band... band 5 on the tower you want my actually be a decent choice even if it is not on the tower you dont want.

If what your really saying is, man I am moving houses and dont have time for the antennas right now, please just tell me how to lock to band 13 for now so I have internet and we can mess with the rest a little later, then on the router goto modem > misc and in the AT commands type:

AT+QCFG="band",0,1000,1

That will make the modem use ONLY band 13. You can easily undo this or change bands with another AT command when your ready
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Agree to wait and leave it alone right now. Not sure why you always work on it at new house. Would try it at old house to make it is working.
RuralinternetSucks

Adm1jtg wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:42 am Very common for the phone not to match the router. As far as restricting bands, yes you can, but I would wait. The nature of the yagi antennas you bought are to point and pinpoint one specfic tower. Unless the 2 towers in question are in the same direction and fairly close together once the antennas are in place and pointed correctly the problem of jumping to the wrong tower should resolve itself. Once you have the correct tower "dialed in" then you systematically test each band... band 5 on the tower you want my actually be a decent choice even if it is not on the tower you dont want.

If what your really saying is, man I am moving houses and dont have time for the antennas right now, please just tell me how to lock to band 13 for now so I have internet and we can mess with the rest a little later, then on the router goto modem > misc and in the AT commands type:

AT+QCFG="band",0,1000,1

That will make the modem use ONLY band 13. You can easily undo this or change bands with another AT command when your ready
Ah ok. I'm waiting till Tuesday for my other cord and adapters to come in. Apparently my first set of sma adapters ended up in usps hell and never got delivered. Isn't too big of a deal since it was pouring here from the remnants of delta anyways. Thanks for the help guys and once I get everything up I'll let ya know how it goes.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

Been gone a while you ever get it all working?

Return to “General and Unclassified”