Questions for Telit LM960A18 owners, please!

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
R1250GSA

Questions for Telit LM960A18 owners, please!

Post by R1250GSA »

My current plan:
———————---
Put a 4x4 MiMo class module in a USB-3 enclosure with paddles, start with a virtualized router image OpenWRT/GoldenOrb to bench test, sort out signal strength and antenna placement, then work out the hardware support such as a RPi4B, and finally make the investment in outdoor antennas.
I really like the idea of the portability and flexibility of both the USB enclosure and virtualization.

T-mobile and Verizon are the two possible carriers for me. T-Mobile maybe best tower.

I have found the following online listings of module support of the BIG-3:
———————————————————————————————------------
(I am only interested in LTE-A Pro providing 4x4 MiMo, 256-QAM and better Carrier Aggregation)
https://www.t-mobile.com/business/iot/d ... tification
The only strong module listed is the CAT-18 Telit LM960A18
The only approved 5G Chipset is Qualcomm SDX55, no modules or devices.
The approved devices only go up to CAT-6.

https://opendevelopment.verizonwireless ... dule/10167
Lists (3) CAT-18 devices, Telit LM960A18 and LM960, Foxconn T77W980
Lists (4) CAT-16 devices, Telit LN860A16, Foxconn T77W968(E), Fibocom L860-GL

https://iotdevices.att.com/modules.aspx
Lists (2) CAT-18 devices, Telit LM960A18 and LM960
Lists (2) CAT-16 devices, Foxconn T77W968, Fibocom L860-GL

So my choice is clear, the Telit LM960A18 ?

Please provide any and all feedback.
--------------------------------
Are there a lot of positive experiences with the Telit module?
Any pitfalls or bear traps?
What is the best strategy for a data plan?
I am open to either unlimited or pay as you go pricing models, I just don't want a very frail situation where I am always worried about the floor giving out.
The pay as you go model that Google Fi has was intriguing, but I only found one sliver of hope in their documentation that you could possibly try a data device that was not listed.

Thank you.
toddw

Re: Questions for Telit LM960A18 owners, please!

Post by toddw »

I have tested both the Telit LM960 and LM960A18. The regular 960 worked fine on Tmo and ATT, got 4xCA on both carriers. My issue with the 960 was no band 71. Hence, getting the LM960A18....

Works fine on ATT, though I got info this modem will throttle after 100GB of use on ATT. I haven't run into it yet as I run both ATT and TMO into a load balanced Ubiquiti USG and typically don't trip limits with combined SIMs.

However, you asked about pitfalls or bear traps. I found one working with their technical support last night. The LM960A18 is certified on T-Mobile for data only plans. T-mobile will block registration on this modem unless its on a data plan, and will not register on a unlimited phone plan. I have two different sim/plans to test with, but both had voice enabled and wouldn't register.

I have access to all T-mobile plans and will validate this in the upcoming week.

I am taking an alternate route, I have a Sierra MC7411 on order. It supports ATT Band 14 (which I'm after) and Tmobile Band 71 which I need. This modem supports 3xCA and can be had at the same price as the 7455. It should arrive today and I expect to be tooling on it this evening and tomorrow once I'm done with in the field.
R1250GSA

Post by R1250GSA »

Thanks Todd.

Wow, you are totally committed to maximum wireless having to load balance two carriers.

ATT is not viable for me.
I read that Verizon is as aggressive or worse on limiting data only devices.
Tmo is hopefully the most viable.

Would Tmo throttle a data only plan? May not be cheap, but I would get max data?
And then would Google FI plan, since on Tmo, be viable?

As far at the available modules to choose from...the field has shrunk.
EM20-G is gone, sold out and wiped clean from the Quectel site.
Sierra MC7411 is interesting but not 4x4.
The only CAT18/CAT20 published as approved by the 3 carriers is the LM960A18.
The only other strong module with B71 is the new Sierra CAT20 EM7690.
TechShip has them for the same price as the LM860A18.
But it is not on any carriers approved list, and nobody has mentioned it on the forum.
toddw

Post by toddw »

Verizon is tough, where I am at, I have tested most of their towers and only found one tower where they don't throttle upload. On my Telit LM960A18 they wasted no time banning it and shutting down the SIM. My other units were fine on it. I'm not done with testing on their network though.

I'm out in the country, so even with CAT18 and 4x4, the towers will only yield so much so I get more mileage running a dual sim setup then running CAT18 with 2 panels or 4 26dbi parabolic.

For T-Mobile plans, there is a thread around here regarding all the plans available. Make sure your router is setup 100% before using it on any plan.

Have you looked up your towers on cellmapper?
Binary Cow Pie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Binary Cow Pie »

I've really had my eye on the LM960A18 and you just answered a huge question I had before buying it. Really sad VZW is banning it seems like the perfect card for me. I live in the country as well and VZW is my only option. Been wanting to ditch my 8800L for a dedicated modem with my gUDP.

Really wish the Alex Nguyen v. fcc case was still open so they couldn't pull this BS. Guess the only option is to use a card you can spoof the IMEI? Sounds like we cant talk about that here so if anyone could shoot me a PM if there are solutions I'm not yet seeing, would be much appreciated!
R1250GSA

Post by R1250GSA »

Todd, yes I have been using cellmapper.net, very helpful.

My biggest issue is to decide on which modem module.
There is a lot of FUD, Fear Uncertainty and Doubt!
The only strong module listed by the big 3 is the LM960A18, most likely because it is fairly locked down.
But if they don't actually support it in the field, I may as well get two 7411s and load balance as you have.

The whole unlimited plan game is just another big rabbit hole to fall down into.
Johnsieve
Has thanked: 0

Post by Johnsieve »

Where do people get their firmware? i bought from aliexpress and feel SOL. any help?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Johnsieve wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:49 pm Where do people get their firmware? i bought from aliexpress and feel SOL. any help?
I shot a message out. See what I can find for you. I haven't updated the ones I have since buying them.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”