Questions about building LTE router using WE1326

Topics related to ZBT Routers
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
56387f

Questions about building LTE router using WE1326

Post by 56387f »

Hello,

I would appreciate some advice. I am thinking about getting WE1326 (I am in Europe now using my MOFI4500, extremely pleased with it but going to leave it here not to carry back and forth - so I need a different LTE router in similar to MOFI size and performance, plus I want it to run OpenWrt instead of some proprietary/closed/never updated OS).

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/routers/lte-rou ... te-router/

(contacted The Wireless Haven store but it is not clear if they can ship to Canada). In addition to that I would like to install 2 extra connectors (to have 6 connectors instead of 4 used for WIFI) and I am looking at 698-2690MHz Cisco 4G LTE Antennas and Extension Base (2 Pack)

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/wifi-a ... extension/

It seems those antennas require TNC Female Bulkheads, I want to get TNC Female Bulkhead (Straight), Cable Type: RG178 (1.78mm), Cable Length: 8 inch (20cm) - this is what The Wireless Haven has in stock:

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/cables/pigtail- ... -inch-20cm

Questions:
a) did I choose the correct pigtails (modem side/ Cisco antenna side)?
b) will WE1326 have enough space to install 2 extra TNC female bulkheads?
c) or maybe if it will be too cumbersome setup and I should go with SMA connectors and use typical "paddle" style antennas like MOFI does?
d) may be someone knows what kind of WIFI performance WE1326 I can expect and what kind of WIFI chip is used? (I really like Ralink in my MOFI, but it is only 2.4Ghz)?
e) I have read some reviews on Amazon where people were complaining about overheating problems. Of course I can drill some vent. holes but ideally I would like to avoid doing that.

If you have WE1326 I would be appreciate your feedback.

I am planning to use it with CAT6 modem, btw looking for MC7455 so if you have one for sale I would be interested.

Thanks.
56387f

Re: Questions about building LTE router using WE1326

Post by 56387f »

Not sure what is wrong with my question but it is really surprising that nobody responded so far. Am I going to be the first person who plans to buy WE1326?
delta95521

Post by delta95521 »

Here's what I did with my we1326. Not a lot of room in there, I think they would have fit on the sides too. It has internal lte antennas that you just ignore. Get the pig tails that will fit your antenna choice.If you go em modem you'll need a pcie to m2 adaptor.
It was all very straightforward including going over to wefix firmware. Took about an hour
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
56387f

Post by 56387f »

Thank you very much for the provided info, the router with 2 extra antennas looks great.
As far as I am concerned it seems I have chosen a different path since I was not sure if WE1326 was a right choice.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

56387f wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:39 pm Thank you very much for the provided info, the router with 2 extra antennas looks great.
As far as I am concerned it seems I have chosen a different path since I was not sure if WE1326 was a right choice.
If your still looking for solutions the WG3526 has the same basic hardware but 6 antenna spaces, 4 for wifi, 2 for lte. Mine even came with the pigtails, some are also available with a modem as a package deal. openwrt compatable as well..
56387f

Post by 56387f »

Adm1jtg wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:58 pm

If your still looking for solutions the WG3526 has the same basic hardware but 6 antenna spaces, 4 for wifi, 2 for lte. Mine even came with the pigtails, some are also available with a modem as a package deal. openwrt compatable as well..
I thought about WG3526 but I travel a lot and want to have a small router which I can take with me. Not small-small (with builtin battery / combined with powerbank / flashlight etc) - I need a solid, small device capable of working 24/7 for months.
I am pretty happy with WE826 / MOFI /MC7455 bundle, I don't think that the built in WIFI means a lot of me (btw RALINK WIFI module in MOFI (and probably WE826 - I cannot verify that) is quite good for what it is no matter what others may say) from my experience I can say that the router can be installed in different and quite remote places (attic etc) and my working setup is to use wired connection to a good and powerful, fully fledged router providing WIFI.

I wish I could install MOFI software on WE826-T2 / MC7455 (and I will try when I get the hardware) - that would be ultimately the best possible scenario.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

I had a mofi setup as well but found building my own gave me more flexibility. Specifically I wanted ca AND band 66 for example. Mofi does not have such a configuration. Sim4 doesn't have band 66 sim7 doesn't have ca. Just something to think about when you look at things. If you need/want band 71 the choices are even more restricted.

Also if you look at the dimensions the wg3526 isn't that much larger... Just a little longer
56387f

Post by 56387f »

Adm1jtg wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:37 pm I had a mofi setup as well but found building my own gave me more flexibility. Specifically I wanted ca AND band 66 for example. Mofi does not have such a configuration. Sim4 doesn't have band 66 sim7 doesn't have ca. Just something to think about when you look at things. If you need/want band 71 the choices are even more restricted.
You are talking about the modem itself which can be replaced with another one. I did not try that but I think MOFI software should support different modems.
Adm1jtg wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:37 pm Also if you look at the dimensions the wg3526 isn't that much larger... Just a little longer
Thanks, this is very interesting note, I will check if I can get wg3526 router without a modem to play with it.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

56387f wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:08 pm You are talking about the modem itself which can be replaced with another one. I did not try that but I think MOFI software should support different modems.

Thanks, this is very interesting note, I will check if I can get wg3526 router without a modem to play with it.
I ordered mine directly from ZBT the manf in china as The Wireless Haven was closed at the time. The Wireless Haven store now has the POE version for sale. Oh and since its a metal case no overheating issues.

update: out of stock on The Wireless Haven now

Return to “ZBT Routers”