Please need help setting purchasing new setup

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
ollemar
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Please need help setting purchasing new setup

Post by ollemar »

Hi everybody. I been stuck with century link dsl for 7 years 1 down 0.2 up. Finally got to try nighthawk m1 with att but to get good signal it needs to be way up in the attic. the problem is almost everyday i have to go up there and reset it and its a chore and workout. iI am also using Netgear Orbi with 2 satellites. Nighthawk (no antennas) gets 3 bars up there and around 99-105 db. Also it seems to be most of the time on band 14. Download speeds i seen the most 23/14 normally 12/8. Tower is about 6 miles away. so far this is my shopping list.

Sierra EM7511 CAT12
Mini PCI-e to M adapter
5" pigtails

I would like to get mimo antenna with enclosure for router but dont know which one would be the best for band 14. Also do i need POE adapter and something else . Please advise. Many thanks in advance.
Dr-BroadBand

Re: Please need help setting purchasing new setup

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Have you looked at the MoFi? I have both the Nighthawk M1(MR110) & MoFi 4500 SIM7

On paper the Nighthawk is a better unit, Cat 16 Modem with WiFi-5,AC
MoFi is a Cat-6 Modem with WiFi-4,N
There are Pros & Cons for both units

You can add external antennas (MIMO) easier to the MoFi, it has SMA connectors. The Mofi also has tools so you can do a band scan to look for the best cell band, and the SIM7 model has band lock, so you can lock onto a tower so the modem will not band jump on you.

The MoFi also has Qty-4 LAN ports, so you could hookup to your Netgear Orbi for your WiFi needs or other things like TV, computer……

The MoFi also has a watchdog system that will reboot it’s self if needed and can to program to be rebooted each day for fresh start for the day.

Once you get the MoFi up and running you can get fancy with and add the Sierra EM7511 Cat-12 modem. That is my next move or something like it just for fun.

With a good cell signal I have gotten 50Mbps DL / 20Mbps UL. You only need 5Mbps for NetFlix

http://mofinetwork.com
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089N ... UTF8&psc=1

Good Luck 8-)
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

I Started with Mofi. Most do. They are high priced and don't stand behind there product. Done right abusive and shady company.
Fear the Mofi. :twisted:
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

I would agree, and was thinking the the same thing, their web site does not even have HTTPS encryption. That is why I used Amazon to get my unit. The company has the feel of working out of their garage.
Sure you can built your own unit that is cheaper, but I would argue the MoFi is still a good starting point for most.

You fail to mention anything better than the MoFi as a replacement. 8-)
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

we826 and a mc7455 is a mofi sim 4
we826 and a ec25-af is a mofi sim 7
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

All around great and affordable router is right here:)

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/routers/lte-rou ... fi-router/

You get a product that is supported by not only the thewirelesshaven.com folks, there are many here who also use the WE826.

Have a couple of them and they run without issue. Set mine to reboot early morning everyday using built-in settings. Give me good solid speed on AT&T with tower about 5 miles out.
ollemar
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ollemar »

Thank you so much for your input. For now went with mofi sim 7. I will let you know how it worked out for me. Thanks again.

Return to “General and Unclassified”