AirCard 810s Carrier aggregation

HOTSPOT Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Dasch
Been thanked: 0

AirCard 810s Carrier aggregation

Post by Dasch »

Hello,

I'm using 810s modem combined with a GoPro Hero8 camera to stream IRL content to the streaming platform on Twitch.
The connection is pretty stable when I'm stationary but not so good on the go. I reckon the carrier aggregation feature is not handling it well enough. I read that this modem can support up to 3 carriers at the same time. I assume that without external antennas it can connect only with two carriers at the same time since there are only 2x2 internal antennas installed.
So my question is... Am I right? And what type of antennas are best for moving scenarios in an urban area (Warsaw, Poland). Keep in mind that the whole setup must remain easy to carry in a backpack and not clunky :)

I know the Nighthawk would be a much better option but it's too expensive at the moment and I'd better wait for proper 5G modems to show up to spend that much money on.

Connectors on the device are TS9

Cheers!
Didneywhorl

Re: AirCard 810s Carrier aggregation

Post by Didneywhorl »

Modems in general can only connect to a single cellular provider at one time. They also can only connect to a single tower at one time. Carrier aggregation simply means aggregation or multiple channels over the same connection. MIMO allows for multiple physical pathways over the air.

When travelling you will lose signal from one tower and the modem will then connect to another tower. This is when your losing data connection temporarily.

The voice part is handled by a phones firmware in a way that keeps the modem searching for signal in other towers to hand off to. I believe its even called a "hand shake".

Data modems dont really handle this as well.

Mobility in general is good on these, but constant road movement keeps the modem constantly reconnecting. General stationary use can be handled as well as signal allows.

If you truly move often and need to be backpack light. I would opt for a compact antenna assembly generally made for vehicles. Usually an omni configuration.
Dasch
Been thanked: 0

Post by Dasch »

Thank for your response. So this model https://imgur.com/XwrLzGL is not so good for dense urban environments right? What other antennas would you recommend for my setup?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Honestly its hard to say, hopefully someone here has the same situation and can chime in.

It might just be you have to give it a shot.

Return to “General and Unclassified”