CBA850 no valid i.p. address

Cradlepoint Router Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
motrac

CBA850 no valid i.p. address

Post by motrac »

i had a working CBA850 with an MC400LP6 in an outdoor enclosure.
i moved it indoor to do some adjustments but i could not access the u.i.
when i troubleshoot the ethernet connection on the laptop i get "could not obtain a valid i.p. configuration?
i tried 3 laptops, a chromebook and windows 10 using a usb to ethernet adapter and a windows 10 with built in ethernet connector, all failing to connect and obtain a valid i.p.
i didn't have any of these problems when i first set this up 2 months ago.
i did a factory reset using the reset button and was able to access the u.i. but once i updated the firmware i could not access the u.i. again.
thinking the modem went bad i obtained another MC400LP6 but had the same results.
i then got a MC-400-1200M and still could not get a valid i.p. to access the u.i.
my back up is a ZBT-WE826 (16M) with a EM7455b and have no problem accessing the u.i. or obtaining a valid i.p. address on any of the 3 different laptops.
the lan 1 light doesn't blink like it should, he 4th light blinks green, 4 signal lights are all solid so good signal, the single light above cradlepoint is blue,
but i think it's suppose to be green.
i have an asus RT-AC5300 router with a u.s.b jack, can i plug the modems in there to test them?
maybe the CBA850 itself went bad.
Yipzy

Re: CBA850 no valid i.p. address

Post by Yipzy »

Cradlepoint uses the modem in the usb enclosure so yes you can take that enclosure out and put in it your router to test. Since you fail to get a valid ip address from the CP, have you tried the second LAN port which is set for passthrough?
motrac

Post by motrac »

[quote=Yipzy post_id=12255 time=1600539711 user_id=772]
Cradlepoint uses the modem in the usb enclosure so yes you can take that enclosure out and put in it your router to test. Since you fail to get a valid ip address from the CP, have you tried the second LAN port which is set for passthrough?
[/quote

yes tried lan 2 which is what i would use anyway but when i do the factory reset it turns off access to lan 2.
i tried again, do factory reset, it let me access u.i. and go through set up, then i updated firmware and when it rebooted i lost i.p. address again.
i opened cmd prompt did ipconfig and ip address was blank.
factory reset again, u.i. came up, did ipconfig and ip address was there, this time it lost connection before i could even log in.
did ip config and no address.
does anyone know what color the 4 signal lights and single light above Cradlepoint should be? mine right now are blue but i thought they should be green?
Yipzy

Post by Yipzy »

You could manually set the address to see if it would let you access it. IP: 192.168.0.5 Netmask: 255.255.255.0 Gateway 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.10.5 / 255.255.255.0 / 192.168.10.1

As for the lights, it should be in the CP manual. Look it up for your model.
motrac

Post by motrac »

Yipzy wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:00 pm You could manually set the address to see if it would let you access it. IP: 192.168.0.5 Netmask: 255.255.255.0 Gateway 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.10.5 / 255.255.255.0 / 192.168.10.1

As for the lights, it should be in the CP manual. Look it up for your model.
ok, changed the network card from auto to manual and used the ip's from above.
that gave me the correct info doing an ipconfig but CBA850 still would not connect and open the u.i. without doing a factory reset. i was then able to login to the u.i. but in less than a minute it disconnected and lost connection, it would not reconnect again without doing a factory reset.
per cradlepoint manual all lights are correct.
so now i connected both the MC400LP6 and 1200M to an Asus router and had no problem connecting and going online.
now i know both modems are good outside the CBA850 but not when installed in it?
next step now is to look for another CBA850.
Yipzy

Post by Yipzy »

motrac wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:52 am ok, changed the network card from auto to manual and used the ip's from above.
that gave me the correct info doing an ipconfig but CBA850 still would not connect and open the u.i. without doing a factory reset. i was then able to login to the u.i. but in less than a minute it disconnected and lost connection, it would not reconnect again without doing a factory reset.
Are you sure you updated with the right router firmware? That's a strange problem.
motrac

Post by motrac »

Yipzy wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:44 pm Are you sure you updated with the right router firmware? That's a strange problem.

yes, i updated correct firmware for router and at&t for modem.
after updating and enabling access for lan 2 i removed power to move modem and could not access u.i. again, no valid ip address or blinking lan light..
i'll look for another CBA850 to rule out that mine might be bad and if that doesn't provide an ip address it's back to Comcast,
this lte internet is down more than up!
Yipzy

Post by Yipzy »

You might've bricked your router during firmware update is what I think.
motrac

Post by motrac »

Yipzy wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:10 pm You might've bricked your router during firmware update is what I think.
fixed it, reset to factory again to access u.i.
rolled back firmware to the oldest build that would load.
going to leave firmware as is but updated modem firmware to latest for at&t.
thanks again.

Return to “Cradlepoint Routers”