PagePlus & non-VoLTE devices

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
bannor4023
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

PagePlus & non-VoLTE devices

Post by bannor4023 »

I'm currently running a Mofi4500 SIM4 with PagePlus. All of which seems to be working perfectly thanks to the sage advice on this forum.

When I initially activated the PagePlus SIM, I did so using my iPhone 6S Plus. One thing I've noticed; however, is that once I put the SIM into the Mofi, I start receiving a message on my PagePlus Account page that reads: "Please note that you are using a non-VoLTE device that will no longer be supported by our network partner after 12/31/2020. You can visit www.yourphoneupgrade.com/pageplus to get a phone that works on the new network technology."

Pop the SIM back into the iPhone and this message disappears.

Apparently, PagePlus is actively reading the IMEI's and can detect the usage of non-Phone devices based on this. I'm wondering if others have seen this...? Is this a clear indication that come 12/31/2020, the service will no longer work using router devices?

Thoughts?
iamromulan

Re: PagePlus & non-VoLTE devices

Post by iamromulan »

Yup! I had the same issue. Unfortunately the only way around this is using your pagePlus sim in a device with an approved IMEI..... Google is your friend ;)
am888

Post by am888 »

Well I guess the question is, will they deactivate those devices entirely, or will your "PHONE" simply not make voice calls...
bannor4023

Post by bannor4023 »

am888 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:59 pm Well I guess the question is, will they deactivate those devices entirely, or will your "PHONE" simply not make voice calls...
Fingers crossed that it's the latter.... I've spoken with MoFi Network and they're also aware of the situation. They seem to think that nothing will change to affect the data on 12/31 and that they'd had discussions with Verizon along these lines; however, they were vague about the details.
ruralinternet

Post by ruralinternet »

I have also received the same message. They seem to be actively scanning the IMEI of the device which the SIM is inserted into. Tried to move the SIM to an iPhone and the message went away. I asked the same question about complete disconnection or only voice. The customer service persons (2 in total) told me it would be a complete disconnection.
Then called MOFI tech support to confirm how they plan to deal with this. Seemed not sure, but said they are working on a solution before the deadline. Since this is their only business, I would expect some resolution from them considering they would not sell ANY more in the USA if they cannot be connected and would lose all current customer base if they cannot use the product any longer.
Anyone have an answer to how this could be solved? That question is how I found this forum.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Generally it seems the best course of action is to change plan to something else if you are not willing to modify the IMEI which is technically illegal in the United States, against FCC regulations.

Part of the problem is huge guarantees by companies like the one you mentioned this state that they'll work with any plan or something like that.

These devices are LTE gateway routers, which generally the carriers consider hotspot devices as a broad generalization and do not really allow them on their standard cellular data plans. Even the MVNOs are getting to the point where their accounts are getting canceled if they don't follow this.

It's exactly why The Wireless Haven doesn't claim responsibility for the individual customer's accounts with their cellular carrier. it's impossible to make a guarantee when the carriers are constantly changing things. Seemingly in direct non-support of customers who really need the data, and have no other obvious options.

The carriers make it so hard to have a decent amount of data to be used for people that don't have access to standard high-speed high bandwidth internet, and they seem to constantly change things around to "catch" People using the plan outside of the terms of service.

All of that said, again I believe people have had success by changing the identification of their modem to the identification of a device that they own that is technically within the terms of service of the provider plan.

Sometimes a little APN finess maybe required. :)
am888

Post by am888 »

They're going to get their wish and lose tens of thousands of customers to Starlink.
Didneywhorl wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:46 am Generally it seems the best course of action is to change plan to something else if you are not willing to modify the IMEI which is technically illegal in the United States, against FCC regulations.

Part of the problem is huge guarantees by companies like the one you mentioned this state that they'll work with any plan or something like that.

These devices are LTE gateway routers, which generally the carriers consider hotspot devices as a broad generalization and do not really allow them on their standard cellular data plans. Even the MVNOs are getting to the point where their accounts are getting canceled if they don't follow this.

It's exactly why The Wireless Haven doesn't claim responsibility for the individual customer's accounts with their cellular carrier. it's impossible to make a guarantee when the carriers are constantly changing things. Seemingly in direct non-support of customers who really need the data, and have no other obvious options.

The carriers make it so hard to have a decent amount of data to be used for people that don't have access to standard high-speed high bandwidth internet, and they seem to constantly change things around to "catch" People using the plan outside of the terms of service.

All of that said, again I believe people have had success by changing the identification of their modem to the identification of a device that they own that is technically within the terms of service of the provider plan.

Sometimes a little APN finess maybe required. :)
BillA

Post by BillA »

bannor4023 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:10 am I'm currently running a Mofi4500 SIM4 with PagePlus. All of which seems to be working perfectly thanks to the sage advice on this forum.

When I initially activated the PagePlus SIM, I did so using my iPhone 6S Plus. One thing I've noticed; however, is that once I put the SIM into the Mofi, I start receiving a message on my PagePlus Account page that reads: "Please note that you are using a non-VoLTE device that will no longer be supported by our network partner after 12/31/2020. You can visit www.yourphoneupgrade.com/pageplus to get a phone that works on the new network technology."

Pop the SIM back into the iPhone and this message disappears.

Apparently, PagePlus is actively reading the IMEI's and can detect the usage of non-Phone devices based on this. I'm wondering if others have seen this...? Is this a clear indication that come 12/31/2020, the service will no longer work using router devices?

Thoughts?

You can disregard that message from PagePlus, it only affects VoLTE (Voice Over LTE calls) if you're using the service in a phone. For data purposes you should be able to keep using it even after Jan. 1st. 2021. Doubt that they will disconnect the line, worst might happen is that after the deadline you won't be able to make voice calls in a phone, but data should continue to work (likewise in a modem).
bannor4023

Post by bannor4023 »

BillA wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:29 am You can disregard that message, it only affects VoLTE (Voice Over LTE) if you're using the service in a phone. For the data purposes you should be able keep using it even after Jan. 1st. 2021. Doubt that they will disconnect the line, worst might happen is that after the deadline you won't be able to make voice calls in a phone, but data will continue to work (likewise in a modem).
Thanks BillA! I certainly hope so.
send2steph

Post by send2steph »

Hi all, I wondered if there was any update on this from MoFi or if we are all crossing our fingers?
I'm currently running a MoFi Router and swap between two PagePlus cards (whenever I hit 200GB). Our family has to of us working from home (VPN) and two high schoolers doing remote learning using this set-up since August.
kylesfishin

Post by kylesfishin »

BillA wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:29 am You can disregard that message, it only affects VoLTE (Voice Over LTE) if you're using the service in a phone. For the data purposes you should be able keep using it even after Jan. 1st. 2021. Doubt that they will disconnect the line, worst might happen is that after the deadline you won't be able to make voice calls in a phone, but data will continue to work (likewise in a modem).
Hey BillA,

Just curious if you have heard any more about this? I'm trying to figure out if I should start looking at other options.

Thanks!
BillA

Post by BillA »

kylesfishin wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:35 am Hey BillA,

Just curious if you have heard any more about this? I'm trying to figure out if I should start looking at other options.

Thanks!
I have already addressed that issue, here it is again:

You can disregard that message from PagePlus, it only affects VoLTE (Voice Over LTE calls) if you're using the service in a phone. For data purposes you should be able to keep using it even after Jan. 1st. 2021. Doubt that they will disconnect the line, worst might happen is that after the deadline you won't be able to make voice calls in a phone, but data should continue to work (likewise in a modem).
Now, if they want to be jerks, they could disconnect your service even through it only affects calls, but I doubt it.
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

BillA

Do you think they are tracking IMEI numbers or MAC address
BillA

Post by BillA »

Dr-BroadBand wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:33 am BillA

Do you think they are tracking IMEI numbers or MAC address

Yes, that's how they are able to send those reminder messages, but I don't think they will actually disconnect the line. They are merely concerned that without VoLTE you won't be able to make calls, which is not an issues for mobile router use.... we shall see after Jan 1st. 2021.

Return to “Internet Service Providers”