Antenna Selection

Topics related to wireless broadband antennas
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Iheartspenny
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Antenna Selection

Post by Iheartspenny »

Hello everyone,

I have been using a mofi 4500 with a weboost home booster for awhile now. I am in a unique situation where i live about 1 mile or less from the closest tower but do not have LOS to it. I cannot get my weboost to connect to it at all, but if i walk to the end of my driveway which is roughly 150-200ft from my house i get great reception from that tower. My weboost is pointed at a tower much further away (7 miles) but also does not have LOS with it and does ok. I get about 6-10 mbps down and 20-30mbps up on a normal day. After researching a bit i found that my booster setup is not ideal. I want to buy an antenna(s) to run MIMO directly to my Mofi using 3ft LMR 400 cable. I have been going back and forth on what type of antenna is best for my situation. Would an Omni antenna be best or from what i have been reading on this site would a flat panel antenna work better. I am pretty much surrounded by hills and trees which is limiting my LOS to the towers in my area. Would an Omni reach out that 150-200ft to my road and grab that signal? How far can an Omni reach?

I have verizon prepaid unlimited service. I never experience deprioritization as the towers are not that congested in my area. Looking at cellmapper, the antennas appear to all be servicing the interstate that is fairly close to my house.

What do you guys think would be the best antenna for me to get? I am currently leaning towards the Omni but would appreciate your opinions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gscheb

Re: Antenna Selection

Post by gscheb »

If you want to pick and choose what tower you are pointed at like you are talking about how you did with your we boost will need directional antennas for that. With Omni antennas don't have much to any control what tower you are connected too.
No one can say for sure what antenna would be best for you. Guessing with how don't have LOS and seem to have hills in the way. Say the flat panel type would be a good guess.
ironman_gq

Post by ironman_gq »

I'd check the tower heights, you might have a lot less obstruction than you think if those towers are 150m tall
Iheartspenny

Post by Iheartspenny »

ironman_gq wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:26 am I'd check the tower heights, you might have a lot less obstruction than you think if those towers are 150m tall
yea i'm not sure on the tower heights, those were just the default from the website. I know that i cannot see the tower from the roof of my house or highest point of my property.
Iheartspenny

Post by Iheartspenny »

gscheb wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:02 pm If you want to pick and choose what tower you are pointed at like you are talking about how you did with your we boost will need directional antennas for that. With Omni antennas don't have much to any control what tower you are connected too.
No one can say for sure what antenna would be best for you. Guessing with how don't have LOS and seem to have hills in the way. Say the flat panel type would be a good guess.
Flat panel would be a good option to use for the one i am currently connected to. I was just hoping that an omni would be able to get a strong signal on the tower basically right by my house.

Return to “Cellular Antennas”