Faster phone internet than on Router

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
spixy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Faster phone internet than on Router

Post by spixy »

I just bought a router that has Unlimited AT&T data. It is the Mofi 4500 copy (WE826-T2 w/Quectel EC25). I also have the AT&T Business Wifi router MF279. I tested a few things.
MF279 at Home: 2mb/s
WF826 at Home: 5mb/s
MF279 across the street from a cell tower: 20mb/s
WE826 across the street from a cell tower: 20mb/s
My phone (Verizon) at my house: 50mb/s
What is the issue here? How is my phone getting way better service?
I also would like to know how to install GoldenOrb or DD-WRT on the WE826-T2 to try band locking and cellular aggregation as I would like to lock to Band 12 for my local cell tower.
Thank you.
Didneywhorl

Re: Faster phone internet than on Router

Post by Didneywhorl »

Your phone has amped up 4x4 mimo antennas and atleast a category 16 modem chip inside, that supports 4x, or higher, carrier aggregation. The ec25af modem is a category 3 modem that can only use 2 antennas and cant carrier aggregate. This is why the phone is faster.

Look up tutorials on this site for flashing firmware
spixy

Post by spixy »

Didneywhorl wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:28 pm Your phone has amped up 4x4 mimo antennas and atleast a category 16 modem chip inside, that supports 4x, or higher, carrier aggregation. The ec25af modem is a category 3 modem that can only use 2 antennas and cant carrier aggregate. This is why the phone is faster.

Look up tutorials on this site for flashing firmware
So, could I make a router or buy a router that would have the same speeds as my phone? All while on verizon unlimited or AT&T.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

This helped explain category modem to me when starting out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxsEEDsgM3c

Band 12 more than likely won't be your fastest band.

This is the bootloader method usually needed for allot of Chinese routers.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5
Yipzy

Post by Yipzy »

spixy wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:31 pm So, could I make a router or buy a router that would have the same speeds as my phone? All while on verizon unlimited or AT&T.
Absolutely if you don't mind the cost of investing in a high CAT# modem with 4x4 MIMO capability. It will even outperform your phone's modem due to better antennas than internal ones if you have a setup with router and 4 external antennas. You could find out what modem your phone uses and then get a comparable modem if you want similar performance.
BillA

Post by BillA »

spixy wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:31 pm So, could I make a router or buy a router that would have the same speeds as my phone? All while on verizon unlimited or AT&T.

Sure, you could just tether a phone to the router via USB or WIFi and get the phone's higher speeds. Course no external antennas for the phone, but if it's already fast then you won't need them. Here's how to do it:
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=10303#p10303
spixy

Post by spixy »

Yipzy wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:29 pm Absolutely if you don't mind the cost of investing in a high CAT# modem with 4x4 MIMO capability. It will even outperform your phone's modem due to better antennas than internal ones if you have a setup with router and 4 external antennas. You could find out what modem your phone uses and then get a comparable modem if you want similar performance.
Thanks for the response. Is there any 4x4 MIMO modems that you recommend? I do own a Unlimited AT&T plan for mobile routers, which is just over the sim.
Viper67857

Post by Viper67857 »

I don't think anyone else noticed that your phone is Verizon while both hotspots you tested were on at&t... It's possible your AT&T tower just sucks and won't go much over 20mb no matter what you throw at it.. If it only has band 12 and that's congested then eh...
spixy

Post by spixy »

Viper67857 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:44 pm I don't think anyone else noticed that your phone is Verizon while both hotspots you tested were on at&t... It's possible your AT&T tower just sucks and won't go much over 20mb no matter what you throw at it.. If it only has band 12 and that's congested then eh...
That was one theory I had as the tower is probably pretty old. But, if I can carrier aggregate enough, I think it should be fine. I don't think I can get a unlimited verizon plan off like ebay or anything right? Pretty sure they are mostly scams.
Yipzy

Post by Yipzy »

spixy wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:46 pm That was one theory I had as the tower is probably pretty old. But, if I can carrier aggregate enough, I think it should be fine. I don't think I can get a unlimited verizon plan off like ebay or anything right? Pretty sure they are mostly scams.
Maybe you could put your AT&T hotspot sim in your phone to see if it let you use LTE and test the speed? Some people do resell the grandfathered prepaid unlimited hotspot plan, it was $70 when you could get it IIRC.

Return to “General and Unclassified”