EM7565 firmware AT&T or Generic?

Sierra Wireless AirPrime Modem Card Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
poodad

EM7565 firmware AT&T or Generic?

Post by poodad »

I'll be using it on AT&T. But whenever I see posts about upgrading firmware, I usually see "generic" referenced.
Yipzy

Re: EM7565 firmware AT&T or Generic?

Post by Yipzy »

poodad wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:38 pm I'll be using it on AT&T. But whenever I see posts about upgrading firmware, I usually see "generic" referenced.
Unless generic version gives you problems you always want to use it over your carrier's firmware due to restrictions they could put in place like no phone sim use, limited CA combinations, etc. For example, the tower that I set up for my relative has two 66 bands but the AT&T firmware would not aggregate them together even though the modem supports it and the generic version would aggregate them and boost the speeds tremendously since this was a setup in a rural town in the mountain with a lot of trees.

What I think the AT&T firmware does to the tower is limiting the CA to a certain signal strength and the 66 bands are in the -101 to -115 range which the firmware thinks it will not perform well but in my case it boosts the speed from 20+ mbps to 40-50+ mbps so a lot of improvement over using the AT&T firmware with no CA.

Return to “Sierra Wireless Modems”