Options for plain modem -> ethernet solution (already have a good router)

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
thebosz
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Options for plain modem -> ethernet solution (already have a good router)

Post by thebosz »

Hi, this is my first post in your great forum!

We just moved to a rural location and I'd like to get a better internet connection. Right now we're using a Nighthawk M1 with two giant yagi antennas. We're getting decent speeds, but at least once a day I have to power cycle the Nighthawk.

Since I can't figure out what's wrong with the Nighthawk, I was thinking that I should replace it with something not designed as a portable hotspot.

My ideal solution is to find a plain modem (as in, not a WiFi router) that just provides an ethernet port. My Nighthawk is pretty far away from my router so I have it set as "passthrough" and it uses the CAT5 in the walls to connect to the router.

I'm on AT&T with the closest tower having Bands 2, 4, 5, 12, 14, 17, 30, 66 according to Cellmapper. The Nighthawk says it's connected to band 14.

In my research, I haven't found a plain modem that fits my needs, so these are my current options as far as I can tell:
  1. GL.iNet GL-X750 (with EC25-AF):
    Pros
    • Pre-made solution that seems very customizable.
    Cons
    • Doesn't support bands 17 and 30
  2. WG3526 with (EC20-G):
    Pros
    • Supports all bands.

Cons
    • very expensive
    • not as customizable(?)
  3. NEXG H721:
    Pros
    • can buy whatever I want.

Cons
    • very expensive
    • do I need the wifi modules?
Anyone have any thoughts on what I should do?
BDF1234

Re: Options for plain modem -> ethernet solution (already have a good router)

Post by BDF1234 »

Hi - Just wondering what you decided to do. I have a similar situation and am trying to figure out the best way to approach it. Thanks.
cptskyhawk
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by cptskyhawk »

Hi -- new to this forum, but I'm in the same exact situation (have a good router, just need a modem).

My biggest question (that I can't seem to find the exact answer for...) is: what service/plan do I need with a cell company to get a sim card I can just stick in a modem?

I'm supposing that I can't just take my current SIM card out of my phone and use it, but is it as easy as just getting another, activating it in another phone, and then putting it in the modem?

Or is there something else I need to tell my cell carrier? I'm on cricket currently, and I've seen from somewhere else during a search here that others have successfully used cricket, but they weren't clear about what plan/service they had with cricket.

tl;dr: what do I tell my cell phone company so I can just use one of their sim cards and they won't disconnect me for using their sim card in an "unauthorized fashion"?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Tell the carrier exactly what modem you have and see what plans they offer. Usually data plans for cellular gateway modems are WAY overpriced.

I believe the ATT standalone ipad plan currently works, drop in and go. Just have to set the APN. Visible for Verizon as well.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”