It's been a year...what needs changed in my plan?

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
motoguy
Has thanked: 0

It's been a year...what needs changed in my plan?

Post by motoguy »

It's been about a year since I researched LTE options. Our internet was workable in that time frame, but it's since went to total crap. We barely have connectivity so it's time to implement the LTE option.

I know some things have changed...the biggest thing seems to be the availability of the ATT plans. However it seems like the post-paid plan is still an option. In addition, I'm now an employee of the county Sheriff's dept so I can likely get some type of info on letterhead re: FirstNet.

I've ordered a used Cradlepoint CBA 850...I also have a RPi 3B+ which I'm not using at this point. It's been suggested that the CBA850 w/ modem may be a more reliable source than the Pi...so I'll try it first.

I'm planning on sticking with the ATT setup however I do have access to Tmobile towers if ATT doesn't work. We have Verizon service at the house, but I'm not as familiar with their their offerings.

I had also planned on using a 7565 modem, but I see some folks speaking of new offerings. I'm curious about the 9x series, and the benefits they may offer in conjunction with the 850 or RPi.

Here are my previous threads. I'm curious what hardware / changes you would suggest, based on changes that have happened in the past year.

ATT location / signal / tower thread:

http://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=561&p=3363#p3363

List of components thread for Pi (likely to keep same antennas and such, just using the Cradlepoint instead of the Pi):

http://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=564
Viper67857

Re: It's been a year...what needs changed in my plan?

Post by Viper67857 »

In that thread you mention you get -93 on an AT&T iPhone... That's almost as good as the signal I get with a parabolic grid. You may be better off with just a Nighthawk hotspot and no antennas... Depending on the bands you receive and congestion, you could hit over 100mbps with the internal 4x4 mimo antenna in the Nighthawk. Best buy may have some in stock so it wouldn't hurt to try one out and take it back if it doesn't perform.
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

Viper67857 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:39 pm In that thread you mention you get -93 on an AT&T iPhone... That's almost as good as the signal I get with a parabolic grid. You may be better off with just a Nighthawk hotspot and no antennas... Depending on the bands you receive and congestion, you could hit over 100mbps with the internal 4x4 mimo antenna in the Nighthawk. Best buy may have some in stock so it wouldn't hurt to try one out and take it back if it doesn't perform.
That measurement was with my phone, standing on the peak of roof. I'd really like my device containing the SIM card to be more accessible. I plan on mounting the device in a weatherproof enclosure on the side of the house and running to external antennas up on the roof. I've read too many stories of Nighthawks needing reset, SIMs changed, etc to want to place the sim on the rooftop.

My current train of thoughts. I'm certainly open to suggestions on why I'd be wise to reconsider.
Viper67857

Post by Viper67857 »

Ah, I missed the part about that being on the roof.. Thought it was from an upstairs bedroom. I'll have to reread later when I have more time to review.
thejohnfist

Post by thejohnfist »

I just want to toss in a small tidbit. I have had better service/performance with my 7455 than I ever had with my 7565 before a storm fried it. Speeds are the same, but latency and packet loss is way better with the 7455. -- for me anyway.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”