Recommend antenna for AT&T Netgear Nighthawk Hotspot?

Topics related to wireless broadband antennas
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Swamp_Yankee
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Recommend antenna for AT&T Netgear Nighthawk Hotspot?

Post by Swamp_Yankee »

There are a lot of options out there so its hard to know what to pick. I am in a heavily wooded area with no line of site to any towers. I have four towers within a three mile radius all in different directions. Two of the towers broadcast band 14 but I am told that the Nighthawk supports carrier aggregation. With all of that said should I be going after something wideband/multi-directional? I'd like to mount it on my roof about 40' above ground.
Viper67857

Re: Recommend antenna for AT&T Netgear Nighthawk Hotspot?

Post by Viper67857 »

Right now I don't think any carrier supports aggregation from multiple towers. I'd go with wide-band but not omni-directional. Note wide-band means the bands it supports (ie 700-2700mhz), not the width of the beam. I would probably get a pair of 15dbi flat panels (or a single 15dbi mimo panel if you can find one), since 3 miles is a bit close to be needing a parabolic.
Swamp_Yankee
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Swamp_Yankee »

How about these? I live out in the woods so I'm not worried about appearances. I actually have an old DirecTV satellite dish mounted to my chimney that I plan to remove and use to mount the mast. I'm thinking of mounting two of them, each pointing at their respective closest towers spaced 3' apart on the mast:

https://www.amazon.com/Periodic-Directi ... 777&sr=8-7
Viper67857

Post by Viper67857 »

2 of those should work, but at that price you'd be better off with a parabolic with a mimo feed. You don't want to point at 2 different towers, btw... CA aggregates multiple bands on the same tower, and MIMO depends on having multiple paths to a single tower. No provider is going to bond 2 different connections to 2 different towers from one modem, even if the modem firmware was capable of connecting that way (it isn't).

Return to “Cellular Antennas”