What has the greatest impact on latency for LTE?

This a discussion place for anything related to wireless
ciarlill
Been thanked: 0

What has the greatest impact on latency for LTE?

Post by ciarlill »

Now that I am getting adequate speeds, I am wondering what factors can and do impact latency on LTE connections. Most of the discussions around here are in regards to speed/bandwidth. I have seen latency as low as 38ms and as high as 2000ms. I seem to average ~80ms regularly but there are lots of fluctuations. Is there anything I can do to improve/stabilize this? Do things like 2x2 or 4x4 MIMO, or CA play into the equation at all? I know there is a lot of different things at play and probably nothing I can really do, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask.
BillA

Re: What has the greatest impact on latency for LTE?

Post by BillA »

It depends from the carrier, signal quality/bouncing and of course the phase of the moon ... well maybe not that last one. lol
The average LTE latency is around 50ms, though I've seen as low as 20ms and as high at 2,000ms.
You can try improving your signal with high gain antennas, even with a higher CAT# modem, and that's about it.
Viper67857

Re: What has the greatest impact on latency for LTE?

Post by Viper67857 »

MIMO and CA should improve average latency between you and the tower, even if only by increasing maximum throughput so that you have more available for the overhead. Basically, when your connection is maxed out latency will skyrocket, even on a good hard-line connection. Having a higher speed connection means you can do more stuff without maxing it out, so spikes occur less often. If the latency spikes are coming from the tower's backhaul to the internet, though, there's nothing you can do on your end.

Return to “OPEN | UNCLASSIFIED”