Bridge or pass-through mode on WiFiX-WE826GO

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
freep
Been thanked: 0

Bridge or pass-through mode on WiFiX-WE826GO

Post by freep »

I want to add a Unifi USG and AP to my WiFiX-WE826GO running GoldenOrb_2020-05-16 so I can have a dedicated VPN connection to my home network.

The problem I'm having is figuring out how to put this device in bridge mode, AKA pass through mode.

Do any of you know how to do this? I've been searching for hours and I can't seem to find a definitive answer.
Didneywhorl

Re: Bridge or pass-through mode on WiFiX-WE826GO

Post by Didneywhorl »

I dont believe Rooter based firmwares have a true ip passthrough, but lookup "setting up DMZ mode in rooter"
Viper67857

Post by Viper67857 »

Won't the VPN tunnel bypass both the NAT on the goldenorb router and the CG-NAT of the provider? At that point it doesn't matter that your AP is behind 3 layers of private IPs as the tunnel should have a public IP that punches through all that..
freep
Been thanked: 0

Post by freep »

Viper67857 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:42 am Won't the VPN tunnel bypass both the NAT on the goldenorb router and the CG-NAT of the provider? At that point it doesn't matter that your AP is behind 3 layers of private IPs as the tunnel should have a public IP that punches through all that..
But then it becomes a major pain to try to set up site to site VPN with my unifi hardware.

I'm a data guy and only do as much networking as necessary to set things up and make sure they run. I'd prefer to not run a bunch of CLI commands that I don't understand on any networking equipment if I can help it.
BillA

Post by BillA »

freep wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:49 am But then it becomes a major pain to try to set up site to site VPN with my unifi hardware.

I'm a data guy and only do as much networking as necessary to set things up and make sure they run. I'd prefer to not run a bunch of CLI commands that I don't understand on any networking equipment if I can help it.

To put it in pass-through mode, disable both IPV4 and v6 DHCP on the LAN interface, and under firewall enable DMZ mode to bypass any firewall filtering, and that's pretty much it.
Viper67857

Post by Viper67857 »

Can always revert to stock OpenWrt and install modemmanager and any relevant drivers.... Goldenorb breaks true bridging for whatever reason
WarBeard
Has thanked: 0

Post by WarBeard »

I used this method and finally solved an issue I was having... BUT, can I run the WE826 this way and also run a VPN?
hpark777

Post by hpark777 »

BillA wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:33 am
freep wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:49 am But then it becomes a major pain to try to set up site to site VPN with my unifi hardware.

To put it in pass-through mode, disable both IPV4 and v6 DHCP on the LAN interface, and under firewall enable DMZ mode to bypass any firewall filtering, and that's pretty much it.
@BillA , I just found this post and it's exactly what I need to be able to use my cellular router/modem as a failover attached to my opnsense based main router. The question is how do I turn off IPv4 and also enable the DMZ within the WE826GO? I've been able to disable IPv6 but I cannot find a similar option to disable IPv4. As far as the DMZ I'm not seeing any DMZ options within the firewall tab. I did create an "all" port forward that as I read that would work the same as a DMZ. Unsure if that is true or not as I'm not a network work guy. Anyway, any help would be much appreciated! :D

Return to “General and Unclassified”