MoFi4500 sim7; questions and looking for advice.

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
WildPants
Has thanked: 0

MoFi4500 sim7; questions and looking for advice.

Post by WildPants »

I've been reading for about 4 hours now through this website's forums. I consider myself savvy enough to build PCs, but network stuff like this is new to me.

I thought that I might just explain my situation and my goal and someone can start steering me in the correct direction.

For the record, I searched a ton but couldn't nail down an exact situation like mine.

I'm currently working remotely in a lab, no possible home wifi setup.

I do have a cell amplifier installed (Wilson AG Pro 70). This is mainly to get an LTE signal inside the concrete tomb I am in. Research shows me this is useless as it's sole purpose is for '2g' phone signal.

I ordered at Mofi 4500 sim 7 but it has no shipped yet (open to cancelling if I need to).

I have a Verizon cellular unlimited account and multiple Verizon towers not far from me, and get 5-15mbps on a Pixel 3xl speed test. I also have both a Nord and PIA VPN accounts, if they need to come into play.

So, what can I do for an LTE router in my lab? Will the mofi work with a Verizon "iPad sim card" installed? It seems like they've cracked down, and now I'm unsure if it works in this stage of 2020.

What other options are out there? Thank you in advance.
Viper67857

Re: MoFi4500 sim7; questions and looking for advice.

Post by Viper67857 »

Not a fan of the mofi units... Considering they usually go for $300+ and you can get the same modem and router for closer to $130, I'd probably cancel that and use the savings to add on a mimo (or a pair of single) antenna(s) and the necessary cabling. You don't want your LTE router running on your phone booster. Directly connected antennas are the way.
WildPants
Has thanked: 0

Post by WildPants »

Thanks, this was posted a few days ago but I never got the notification. I have since cancelled my MoFi seamlessly, and I am at the beginning stages of building my lab setup. I'll edit the original as needed.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

WildPants wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:27 am ....

I'm currently working remotely in a lab, no possible home wifi setup.
.... This is mainly to get an LTE signal inside the concrete tomb I am in.....
Concrete tomb for a lab? Why not mount your modem and router outside with an antenna? Powered via POE?

Heres an example build, its modem is dated, like the mofi, but the build is the same for just about any modem to go into it.

[url]http://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=16[/url]

Return to “General and Unclassified”