T-Mobile SIM Recommendations?

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
kclancy
Has thanked: 0

T-Mobile SIM Recommendations?

Post by kclancy »

So I am new to this board and to LTE home internet and I am looking for a recommendation on a provider.

I have two T-Mobile towers within a few miles of my home so I am thinking they will be the best option.

I have a Mofi 4500 SIM4 router and a few Yagi directional antennas to mount so at this point I just need a reliable SIM that won't be throttled with a few hundred GB of data usage per month.

Recommendations?
BillA

Re: T-Mobile SIM Recommendations?

Post by BillA »

Take a look at a list of prepaid carriers here > https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=5790#p5790
If you have a Sierra modem in your MoFi then you should be fine for now, but other modems like Quectel/Simcom and others seem to be blocked by Tmobile/SimpleMobile... just a heads up.
kclancy

Post by kclancy »

Thank you! My Mofi is a Sierra modem so hopefully I don't run into that issue.

What does the SIM activation process look like? Will I need a phone to activate prior to putting it in the Mofi?

Are these plans the same that I would be getting from some of the resellers charging $100+/month?
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

T-Mobile Setup for 55+ people
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=32 ... =140#p7409
BillA

Post by BillA »

kclancy wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:04 pm Thank you! My Mofi is a Sierra modem so hopefully I don't run into that issue.

What does the SIM activation process look like? Will I need a phone to activate prior to putting it in the Mofi?

Are these plans the same that I would be getting from some of the resellers charging $100+/month?

It's always a good idea to test a newly activated sim in a phone first, in fact it's highly recommended to do the activation with the sim inside the phone so that the carrier sees the phone as the initial device and not a router. You can move the sim into the router, but in case it doesn't work in a router at least you'll know it's not the sim that's causing it, otherwise you'll be wasting a lot of time trying to fix something that doesn't need fixing.
lloyd.arms
Been thanked: 0

Post by lloyd.arms »

T-Mobile on Traveldata doesn't work either. I've been waiting for 4 days for a reply from them. Took my money and ran! I had about 4 hours of service. Hasn't worked since and no replies from Traveldata! I do not recommend them!
kclancy

Post by kclancy »

Update:

I went with a BYOD on a Magenta Plus Tmobile post-paid plan. I am about a month in and getting consistent 25mbps down and 10 up in my MOFI4500. Its been life changing with my current work from home situation.

One thing that is confusing me is related to how the data usage is showing in my account for that line. Most of it has displayed as phone data usage but some of it has also registered as Hotspot data usage. Any ideas on why that would happen?

My TTL is set to 64 and it is showing 230gb of phone data and 40gb of Hotspot for the month.
Yipzy

Post by Yipzy »

Does that TTL also apply to ipv6? Maybe increase it to TTL 65 or even 66 to test usage.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

kclancy wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:12 pm Update:

I went with a BYOD on a Magenta Plus Tmobile post-paid plan. I am about a month in and getting consistent 25mbps down and 10 up in my MOFI4500. Its been life changing with my current work from home situation.

One thing that is confusing me is related to how the data usage is showing in my account for that line. Most of it has displayed as phone data usage but some of it has also registered as Hotspot data usage. Any ideas on why that would happen?

My TTL is set to 64 and it is showing 230gb of phone data and 40gb of Hotspot for the month.
Make sure you have ipv6 TTL set as well. There have been issues of "leakage" on the data use for some. It MAY be device dependent but I really am not sure.
kclancy

Post by kclancy »

I will take a look at that, thanks for the suggestions.

I have confirmed that it is only the data used on my Playstation that is getting classified as hotspot.

Return to “Internet Service Providers”