NEXP1GO (WG3526-P) Router w/Sierra MC7455 Modem inside a WiFiX 19dBi Antenna Enclosure

How To Tutorials related to Antennas
Forum rules
This forum is for tutorials only--NOT for help or assistance.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: WG3526-P Router w/Sierra MC7455 Modem inside a DM25X19 Antenna

Post by JimHelms »

ironscuba wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:01 pm
I'll reach out to them, I looked but didn't see it on the site. I either overlooked it (quite possible) or it's out of stock at the moment.
THIS is the wide band MIMO antenna with the large enclosure that we have manufactured. We are currently out of stock but they are on order.
ironscuba
Has thanked: 0

Post by ironscuba »

Thank you!

I'll keep an eye out for it.
lteoptions

Post by lteoptions »

It's been a while sine you wrote this and have presumably been using it.

Can you report back any issues you have had? I am thinking about shoving my mofo or some other LTE to LAN (no wifi) into something like this and back hauling it into the house.

Can you please post an update?

Thanks,
LTEO
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Sure! I used this setup for nearly two years. Near the beginning of the year I upgraded to a Quectel EM20G modem and added a second panel, since the EM20G modem can do 4x mimo. The Quectel has had quirks, but its fast and works well. The MC7455 was great, except the MC7455 does not like to run continuously on Sprint networks. For some reason it loses connection randomly a few times a day. There are workarounds, but I just let it go for nearly 2 years, then I upgraded.

With the MC7455 in the WG3526 using one 2x mimo flat panel narrow band antenna I could get around 100Mbps DL. When I went to the EM20G and added the 2nd 2x panel I maxed out my tower. I always get over 200Mbps in tests. My rough average has been 265Mbps, max was around 388Mbps in a test. Speedtest.com app. I KNOW I can get more, but my tower is managing my speeds.

The antenna is still rocking today. It's a fantastic product. I do, though, warn against using the narrow band antenna unless your absolutely sure you want to limit your band choices (B41, B66) in exchange for very high gain. I personally don't need the higher gain, but I thought I did. I don't regret buying it, but after testing the 8dbi 4x mimo antenna, I know I never needed that high of gain.

I'm currently testing the 4x mimo flat panel antenna that The Wireless Haven has for sale. It's "only" 8dbi, but that is common for a wideband antenna. The 4x panel seems to outperform my 2 - 2x antennas! I've got much more testing to do.
lteoptions

Post by lteoptions »

Did you ever have any issues with heat and or moisture with your enclosure being the antenna panel itself?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

lteoptions wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 5:22 pm Did you ever have any issues with heat and or moisture with your enclosure being the antenna panel itself?

I did not, inside the enclosure. i did though, have moisture in the LAN cable gland. I now use gobs of dielectric grease around all my connections threads and seals. The connector never failed, but it was damaged and would likely fail eventually.

But it lasted for two years before i took that connector apart and found that water damage in the connector.
LTEFix0404
Been thanked: 0

Post by LTEFix0404 »

Didneywhorl wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:26 pm I'm currently testing the 4x mimo flat panel antenna that The Wireless Haven has for sale. It's "only" 8dbi, but that is common for a wideband antenna. The 4x panel seems to outperform my 2 - 2x antennas! I've got much more testing to do.
I'm considering using this antenna, too, with an EM20-G modem. How do you have yours configured? I was thinking of trying to fit that M.2 NGFF to USB 3.0 adapter PCB inside the enclosure, but not sure if it will fit. I plan to house only the modem inside the antenna enclosure, and will have the router indoors. If it won't fit, I think I will try to find a small outdoor enclosure to house it in. I want only one single USB cable coming out of the antenna enclosure - no coax cables unless the modem won't fit.

I assume you're still using your EM20-G with it as well. Are you using it in a standalone enclosure or in a router? If a standalone enclosure, how are you powering it? Just using the USB Micro-B cable, or the aux power, too? And what router are you using with it?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

I run a separate enclosure with both router and usb3 enclosure inside. Em20, and telit LM960 (I have multiple now) The router and usb/m.2 adapter are both sans cases and miunted on pcb standoffs. Router powered via poe, modem powered via cable direct from the router. The modem is interfaced to the enclosure case via mhf4 to type N female bulkhead connectors.

Then just 4 x 5' LMR cables to the antenna
charlesrg

Post by charlesrg »

Do you guys have any trouble with the router overheating inside the enclosure during hot summer months ?
JoshKelly

Post by JoshKelly »

Didneywhorl wrote: Getting started with the Router body. We gut the router...
Awesome read/guide!! Based my setup off this guide!!

Currently I have the WE826 in a box mounted on some 1/2" gas pipe coming off the corner of my house about 3ft high, also has a omni mimo antenna mounted to it.

I am not currently grounded. What is the best way to ground the antenna and router pcb? I plan to tie into the house ground, I just really don't know how to ground the pcb?

Thank You,
Josh
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

charlesrg wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:15 pm Do you guys have any trouble with the router overheating inside the enclosure during hot summer months ?
Has been fine for 2 years in South Texas heat.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

JoshKelly wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:50 am Awesome read/guide!! Based my setup off this guide!!
Thanks!
JoshKelly wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:50 am Currently I have the WE826 in a box mounted on some 1/2" gas pipe coming off the corner of my house about 3ft high, also has a omni mimo antenna mounted to it.

I am not currently grounded. What is the best way to ground the antenna and router pcb? I plan to tie into the house ground, I just really don't know how to ground the pcb?

Any screw hole in the router board that has copper metal around the hole is generally a ground point.
I confirmed this on the WE826 with a multimeter for you. :) Each screw hole on the board is electrocally connected to the ground point on the board and each other.

If you use the WiFiX enclosures, they have a ground wire that passes ground through the case to one of the mount bolts. It's all marked. If you didn't get the greatest outdoor enclosure made, then you gotta figure that part out. ;)
caheobay

Post by caheobay »

Hi
I’m new and intend to build a system with wide band 2x2 MIMO antenna.
I don’t know if the ADM 1DP727X8 RJ which has WiFiX Extra Large (11.5 in x 19.13 in x 4.17 in) enclosure system would be large enough to be fit with WG3526-P LTE Router.
Does anyone know the dimension of the WG3526-P LTE Router board.
Thanks so much.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

It will fit.
This is with a usb3 adapter and an em12G modem.
WG3526-2x2MIMO-panel-outdoor-installation.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
caheobay

Post by caheobay »

It's very nice. ;)
Just wonder did you 3d print the leg / stand for the wifi antenna or it's included when you order the router / antenna.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

caheobay wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:51 pm It's very nice. ;)
Just wonder did you 3d print the leg / stand for the wifi antenna or it's included when you order the router / antenna.
I drew it up and printed it.
DonJuane

Post by DonJuane »

Hi, little ideas grace my head from time to time and this one passed by me this morning and I went searching and was delighted to find your offering here. Thanks! I read most of this but I didn't see anything saying what the dimensions of this board are, and if I missed it I apologize. I'm mobile and been using a 3G USB modem inserted into GL-AR150 Rooter in a canoe box top-side with omni antennas inside the box for several years now and with 3G going away, I am going to have to finally upgrade it looks like. Doing so, I'd like to know if this router will fit in my existing box (I am omni only so no antenna other than stock rubber duckies). Call me old-fashioned a Ludite or whatever but 3G has been fine for me and keeps me from going over plan and from that perspective, what's not to enjoy about it. These guys streaming now, they must know something I don't or have more money to spend. I don't "do" over $100US/month plans and I likely won't even look at Starlink when it goes mobile - I'm retired and "too old for this $%#" and just don't use enough data to warrant it.

Now before I started getting into all this "need for speed" business, to experiment with the new LTE-5G only world, I bought a EM7455, EP06 and also looking at a EM12 (finally figured out the push-on antenna connector size difference, board adapter needs and all that "the hard way".) So with me finding only M-style and P-style modem mostly USB 2.0 boards and the USB 3.0 adapters suggested for these faster speed devices (I assume require USB 3.0) and not many Rooter/routers on the market with USB 3.0, I am guessing this is what is driving everyone to use these routers with the built in P/M module adapters - am I right? If so, I wonder at what line of modem for example I might be over the USB 2.0 or router speed capacity of my AR150 that would force me to go to this modem board router and have to forgo my palm-size GLI rooter and the USB2.0/modem in my current enclosure?

Just a note that the EP06 on a USB 2.0 modem-to-USB interface to the low-ly GLI-AR150 was kicking it up about 20M which is all I would ever need, so do I really need to upgrade? Otherwise the one thing about the EM12-G that caught my eye is it has a lot of bands and is a global version and seems viable for international travel. Still with all this aside and if this is too off-topic, I can ask it elsewhere but I'd still like to know the approximate board size of this router board. THANKS!!!
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

I use a wg3526 and an ep06. Like you I looked at other options and upgrades and realized this setup does all I need. Anything "upgraded" in my case would be a "want to have" not a "need to have"

The EP06 has carrier aggregation and supports band 66 thats all I need

The em12 is definitely a step up, faster more bands and all

As I have said in other threads if you looking for more speed you might do better to get external antennas then a new modem. Most external antennas can be adapted to hook into the smc ports of your modem device. They replace the whip antennas on your unit.
jbweston

Post by jbweston »

This may be a total newb question, and thread may be dead, but will give it a shot anyway. Because you please give an overview as to the advantages of this type of setup versus just running an antenna cable (s) into the house. Either performance wise or convenience wise or otherwise?. Thank you and very detailed and helpful tutorial by the way.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

jbweston wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:01 am ... please give an overview as to the advantages of this type of setup versus just running an antenna cable (s) into the house. Either performance wise or convenience wise or otherwise?.
The advantages of this setup:
  • Since there are no antenna cables you eliminate the loss associated with the cables and connectors
  • CAT6E is a lot cheaper than LMR200/LMR400 cables, and a lot easier to plumb
The disadvantages of this setup:
  • Since the unit is self-contained and usually mounted on a mask of some sort, it is more difficult to swap out the modem and/or SIM card. This can be somewhat mitigated by using a SIM Card Extender to easier swap the SIM Cards.
I personally ran this setup for nearly 3 years without a single issue.

Return to “Tutorials”