T-Mobile seems to be throttling connection

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
Greenday1

T-Mobile seems to be throttling connection

Post by Greenday1 »

Has anyone else on T-Mobile Simply Prepaid Unlimited Plus plan suddenly getting throttled? My connection seemed to be running fine up to about mid last week then now my connection speed tests never get past 1 Mbps. Ranges from .5 to 1 continuously.

Is there anything else I should be doing to verify this? If I'm correct ismy only option to switch to another carrier provided I can get signal from someone else?

WE1026-5G Router
EM20-G Quectel Modem

Thanks
gscheb

Re: T-Mobile seems to be throttling connection

Post by gscheb »

I personally never think been throttled on T-Mobile post pay.
BillA

Post by BillA »

Greenday1 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:54 pm Has anyone else on T-Mobile Simply Prepaid Unlimited Plus plan suddenly getting throttled? My connection seemed to be running fine up to about mid last week then now my connection speed tests never get past 1 Mbps. Ranges from .5 to 1 continuously.

Is there anything else I should be doing to verify this? If I'm correct ismy only option to switch to another carrier provided I can get signal from someone else?

WE1026-5G Router
EM20-G Quectel Modem

Thanks

Maybe you went through a huge amount of data? Check your usage in your online account, and let us know the amount used. It may seems like a lame suggestion, but try restarting your router, then test gain. Also, if you test the sim card in a phone and if the speed is much higher, then it's possibly throttled due to the router/modem usage. Alternatively you could go with SimpleMobile (Tmobile based), I never got throttled in the past 5 years with an average usage of 400GB/month.
Greenday1

Post by Greenday1 »

I did and it's barley over 40GB I've been averaging between 200 - 250 GM per month. I have restarted it but haven't pulled out the sim card yet and tried it in a phone as I have to take the thing apart with the WE1026 to get at it. But that will eb my next step.
BillA

Post by BillA »

Greenday1 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:24 pm I did and it's barley over 40GB I've been averaging between 200 - 250 GM per month. I have restarted it but haven't pulled out the sim card yet and tried it in a phone as I have to take the thing apart with the WE1026 to get at it. But that will eb my next step.

The phone test should tell you where the issue is. If it's still slow, then it has to do with your account, contact support while leaving the sim card in the phone, do NOT put it back into the router or tell them you use it in one. It's also possible that you have a local tower outage, or it's being upgraded/worked on at this time.
If it's fast in a phone then I'm afraid they are throttling due to the router/modem usage by slowing it down after the hotspot data has been used up. I might have a solution for that using custom DNS/MAC addresses.
Greenday1

Post by Greenday1 »

Ok. I have an update finally. I removed the SIM and tested my connection with the phone I used to authorize the SIM and I get the same speed results. Fluctuating between .5 - 1 Mbps. I called customer service and they told me it's a known issue that has been ongoing for the last three days. However I know it's been going on since last week so not sure if I was getting a straight story or not. They said to call them back in a few days if it hasn't improved. When I asked why customers weren't notified if it was an ongoing outage she told me they would be if it went on longer than a couple of days. She just didn't seem to be giving me a straight answer.
BillA

Post by BillA »

Greenday1 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:29 pm Ok. I have an update finally. I removed the SIM and tested my connection with the phone I used to authorize the SIM and I get the same speed results. Fluctuating between .5 - 1 Mbps. I called customer service and they told me it's a known issue that has been ongoing for the last three days. However I know it's been going on since last week so not sure if I was getting a straight story or not. They said to call them back in a few days if it hasn't improved. When I asked why customers weren't notified if it was an ongoing outage she told me they would be if it went on longer than a couple of days. She just didn't seem to be giving me a straight answer.

There you have it, just saved yourself a bunch of time trying to diagnose the router when the issue is in the network.
One of the best ways to narrow down an issue with any electronics/service is by the process of elimination, to save time and your sanity. ;)
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Hello,
Had outage on my local tower for almost a week. Just here recently too. My service is post pay and don't believe have ever been throttled. But for what ever reason since their update maintenance can't get carrier Aggregation anymore. Tried 3 different modems. (EP06, EM12, MC7455)
Now there is a tower in another town and it will do the Carrier aggregation.
Just think this is odd!
Greenday1

Post by Greenday1 »

Here's another update. Nothing has improved since last week. I called T-Mobile back for an update just now. The guy started asking what I was doing that made me think I had a speed issue as opposed to phone hardware issue. Couldn't get him to answer what the update was to being told the last time that is was a service issue in my area. Finally stopped answering his questions and asked him repeatedly to answer if there was or wasn't a service issue in our area. He then said yes there was still an issue. He said he couldn't see when it was reported and it should be repaired in a couple days. When I told him that was what I was told last week he said this wasn't something that could be fixed over the phone and to wait a couple days. Can't say it was a positive call and will have to continue to wait apparently.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Greenday1 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:27 pm Here's another update. Nothing has improved since last week. I called T-Mobile back for an update just now. The guy started asking what I was doing that made me think I had a speed issue as opposed to phone hardware issue. Couldn't get him to answer what the update was to being told the last time that is was a service issue in my area. Finally stopped answering his questions and asked him repeatedly to answer if there was or wasn't a service issue in our area. He then said yes there was still an issue. He said he couldn't see when it was reported and it should be repaired in a couple days. When I told him that was what I was told last week he said this wasn't something that could be fixed over the phone and to wait a couple days. Can't say it was a positive call and will have to continue to wait apparently.
Sounds like my experience with them when I went thru it. Finally just pointed mine at a different tower until they said it was repaired. When they promise to email you or call when it is completed don't believe it. They told me that over and over. One day called again and was told it was repaired three days ago.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

gscheb wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:27 pm Hello,
Had outage on my local tower for almost a week. Just here recently too. My service is post pay and don't believe have ever been throttled. But for what ever reason since their update maintenance can't get carrier Aggregation anymore. Tried 3 different modems. (EP06, EM12, MC7455)
Now there is a tower in another town and it will do the Carrier aggregation.
Just think this is odd!
Now at sisters house she has post pay TMobile same tower. But maybe different sector antenna and hers does carrier aggregation. Just odd
Greenday1

Post by Greenday1 »

Posting another update.
Called T-Mobile again today as my connection has never improved. The woman on the phone said T-Mobile is upgrading their network but if I am showing any bars and LTE then I am getting their high speed network access. Was told If my connection seems slow then it's probably my phone and went into a list of having me reset my phone network connecting, making sure my wifi was off and restarting my phone. She said she'd call me back in an hour and make sure my connection issue was solved. Nothing she was asking made any difference when she called back. She said she directed my phone to another tower and that could take a couple hours. She said she also submitted a ticket to their tech support team although she wasn't able to make her self clear as to what that was for.
lloyd.arms
Been thanked: 0

Post by lloyd.arms »

Yes. I am using T-Mobile through traveldata. They even canceled my plan without notification and only when I contacted them did they reinstate and claimed a technical issue. I had internet for 4 hours. Died after that. Not impressed with T-Mobile or traveldata.

Return to “Internet Service Providers”