Looking for ATT LTE Vendor Review - AC Communications and Others

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
consciencecon

Looking for ATT LTE Vendor Review - AC Communications and Others

Post by consciencecon »

Hello fellow Wireless Joint members and gurus! LTE has been my only option for the last 10 years at my house and this site has been a huge help over the years. So Thanks!!!

As we all know, ATT cut some of us off. I'm trying to decide on a new LTE vendor and was hoping other folks had some feedback. Ive narrowed my choices down to: Bix Wireless, Nomad, Viper and AC Communications. Ive found some feedback and Youtube info on Bix, Nomad and Viper. They all seem to have fairly positive responses. Bix seems like the best price but Nomad support and website has been better so far. Viper has a lot of positive feedback on Reddit. Anyone have any info on AC Communications? Their service is reasonably priced at $100 for a 1TB a month plan (they have unlimited for $120 but I wont go over 300-400 a month with me and my 2 kids) but they also have the option to get a static IP for $20 which I might want in the future.

One of my main issues is that I already own an MF279 and also an AC313U attached to FGT 60E and Id rather like to use one of those rather than investing another couple hundred into new gear (i know they are old but they were working just fine for me up until a couple months ago). Bix straight up says they wont support the MF279. Viper didn't say no, but suggested that they were old and no refund if they didn't work. Nomad and AC have said that they would work. Ive seen some other posts that ATT may be restricting the MF279. Anyone have any details?

Any feedback on service, equipment or support for these vendors would be appreciated!!! Thanks!
LoveMeSomeCALTE

Re: Looking for ATT LTE Vendor Review - AC Communications and Others

Post by LoveMeSomeCALTE »

I would simplify your inventory even if it meant buying some new handware.

I can't point you to sources but ATT is targeting $13/GB this quarter.

I have no idea how you are being offered $100 for a 1TB a month plan - I have a very strong feeling this is going to go away sooner than later.

If you have some quality information on what these resellers are doing and how they are working around the $13/GB metric, I would appreciate it.

To be direct, I am actually telling you that you should call them and say that there's this guy on the internet (me) saying ATT is targeting $13/GB this quarter, culling accounts, even if they are on reseller lines, that don't meet that criteria and that you are afraid your line is going to be at risk so how will they mitigate that risk.

Get them to commit that your line is risk free atleast until Sept.

Also, here's a simpler route I propose:

Pick up a Archer C7 for $10 - $15 at your local marketplace. Here are tips: https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=32 ... =10#p10232

Install GO and use your favorite ATT compatible android phone with USB tether on and enjoy life.

If you don't have a ATT compatible android phone that USB tethers, take your pick of $30 - $60 Quectel LTE modems while ensuring TMobile bands are covered too.

Once you have it working on your current plan, we will get you moved on to a much better, redundant setup using PagePlus and Simple Mobile, both through BillA and then a mix of TMobile 4 for $100 and Cricket 4 for $100 plans if you want more bandwidth/redundancy.

For the same $100 - $120 you now have load balancing/redundancy.

If this does not end up working for you, you can always go back to what you have and you only spent $100, or less, giving a superior solution a shot.

Say what, I will even buy the C7 and modem off you, if it does not work out, because I am personally pretty miffed at these resellers putting people's fundamental internet connectivity at risk, misinforming them, just to make a quick dollar, so I want to make this as risk free as possible for you.

My objective is for you to realize you have control over your fundamental internet connectivity needs and have happy posts like this: https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=32 ... =10#p10808

Again, if your reseller has accurate, verifiable information, I would love to hear it!

I am not afraid to be corrected. I am a user just like you who has been screwed over enough times to say I cant defal with this nonsense any longer.

I can tell you that I have the responsibility of providing fundamental internet connectivity of a few hundred people in my community and if there was a reseller out there who would commit, they would already have had our business.

Take it easy!
consciencecon

Post by consciencecon »

Thanks for detailed and honest feedback. I appreciate you taking the time.

Currently my internet is coming from Hotspot enabled on my Android phone (through ATT). The problem is that I don’t get very good signal at my house. The only ways Ive found to get decent service is to attach an external antenna (I get 1-3 Mbps with just the phone and get 20-30 Mbps with the antenna) or with the MF279 it just got better service without the antenna (no antenna hook up ports on that device). When my previous service was cut off, I transferred my ATT plan to the Unlimited Elite. I was able to use my AC313U for about a week and then I got an email that the device was too old and I needed to purchase something newer. Not sure if that was BS, but since then the device only runs at 1-3 Mbps.

In the scenario you were proposing, Im guessing theres no way to hook an antenna up to an Android phone? If not, then my only option is a modem with an antenna port. But wouldn’t that run into the same issue as before since its not running through Hotspot? Or is there a way to adjust GO to convince the device its using Hotspot data?

When looking at coverage maps, ATT is the only provider that seems like I get service. Maybe Verizon, but I haven’t been able to test. Sprint/TMoblie/Cricket/etc. doesn’t seem to come out this far, but maybe that’s not true? Does it just depend on the Bands Im getting from the Tower Im connected to? ATT/TMobile both use 2/4/12/66 and Verizon uses 2/4/66. Although Im pretty sure Verizon uses CDMA versus GSM on ATT and that makes a difference?

Im willing to invest in new equipment if that’s the best option going forward. I can look for a C7, or I have a couple of routers that may be able to support GO. For a modem, would I want to get an EC25-AF? Would I want to find a device that already has one of those built in, or buy the modem and find a case t convert it to USB?

Thanks for taking the time to help me understand my options!
LoveMeSomeCALTE

Post by LoveMeSomeCALTE »

consciencecon wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:04 pm Thanks for detailed and honest feedback. I appreciate you taking the time.
Thanks for taking the time to help me understand my options!
My pleasure. I am not doing this for free. The expectation is you won't suddenly abandon this thread were you to either get stuck or solve your problem. Either way, you mention how this journey ends (or begins!) for you.
consciencecon wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:04 pm In the scenario you were proposing, Im guessing theres no way to hook an antenna up to an Android phone?
Theres always a way. This just would be pretty invasive and complicated when you have easier options. Not worth your time if you get paid min wage in the U.S.
consciencecon wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:04 pm If not, then my only option is a modem with an antenna port. But wouldn’t that run into the same issue as before since its not running through Hotspot?
Not quite
consciencecon wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:04 pm Or is there a way to adjust GO to convince the device its using Hotspot data?
Yup!
consciencecon wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:04 pm Does it just depend on the Bands Im getting from the Tower Im connected to? ATT/TMobile both use 2/4/12/66 and Verizon uses 2/4/66. Although Im pretty sure Verizon uses CDMA versus GSM on ATT and that makes a difference?
Just think of everything to be LTE. Dont think in terms of CDMA versus GSM in 2020. Those are no longer relevant except from a standards POV.
consciencecon wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:04 pm Im willing to invest in new equipment if that’s the best option going forward. I can look for a C7, or I have a couple of routers that may be able to support GO. For a modem, would I want to get an EC25-AF? Would I want to find a device that already has one of those built in, or buy the modem and find a case t convert it to USB?
That's right on the money.

Please begin at and make copious note and ask detailed questions:

http://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1495#p10118

Return to “Internet Service Providers”