Poynting XPOL-2-5G Antenna (A-XPOL-0002-V3-01) Review

Topics related to wireless broadband antennas
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
prideauxx

Poynting XPOL-2-5G Antenna (A-XPOL-0002-V3-01) Review

Post by prideauxx »

Hi all,

I did a brief search for this on the forum, but as of yet have no real details on someone's real-world use regarding one of these (soon to change). I just bought this with plans for a high wall mount (bought the swiveling antenna mount as well). Specs look decent, and it will be my first true outdoor antenna that is actually mounted outside (have several Wilson outdoor flatpanels mounted in my attic currently, because...reasons).

Will be trying it out using TMobile/AT&T setup. If I like it, will likely buy another.

BillA seems to think highly of the brand, which to me says a lot (and enough). Guess we'll see. More to come. Link to details below: Justin
docderwood

Re: Poynting XPOL-2-5G Antenna (A-XPOL-0002-V3-01) Review

Post by docderwood »

I've got one, been happy with it using ATT. Not sure how it compares with the The Wireless Haven as I have different setups for the two (Poyning with a 25 foot cable run, LTE extremely short with outdoor router).
prideauxx

Post by prideauxx »

docderwood wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:17 pm I've got one, been happy with it using ATT. Not sure how it compares with the The Wireless Haven as I have different setups for the two (Poyning with a 25 foot cable run, LTE extremely short with outdoor router).
Glad to hear.

I just did (another) amateur tower survey. It would appear the reason I'm not getting CA via TMobile is that I may have access to only one tower with one band (2). But it's a good signal using the stock omni's on a WG3526 (strange). The AT&T setup does get CA (2 & 12), but struggles a bit more to get through the foliage (flat-panel Wilsons in an attic, also strange).

Both carriers appear to be on the same tower, which is about 1 mile away almost due East, but no LOS due to forest. I may be able to push my luck a little with the TMobile setup and hit a tower a bit to the North through a valley (and about 1.5 miles away), but I think I may have a mountain in the way (worth a try). I likely will not have the same luck attempting to hit an AT&T tower due South, no LOS, about 6 miles away.

All the same, this is fun. Depending on how things go, results may push for more outdoor antennas after using something that is quality, or it may reinforce that I have what I have and should be happy with that.
Viper67857

Post by Viper67857 »

I've seen better signal with stock omnis in the right spot inside the house than I have with even my parabolic grid in the attic.. There's just too much attenuation up there.. It's probably even worse for me because of the radiant barrier, but getting the antenna outdoors was a solid 25dbi gain.
BillA

Post by BillA »

They also have a full 4x4 MIMO all-in-one unit with the proper cross polarization. including 4 cables/connectors.
It's not cheap ($200-300), but it's a great one piece unit, mostly sold in international shops.
It's model# A-XPOL-0001-V2-41
Here are some quick searches:
https://www.solwise.co.uk/5G-XPOL-1/
https://rfshop.com.au/product/xpol-1-om ... o-antenna/
Viper67857

Post by Viper67857 »

4x4 in one unit looks great, especially at that price, until I realized it was an Omni with 3dbi max gain 😔
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Viper67857 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:59 am 4x4 in one unit looks great, especially at that price, until I realized it was an Omni with 3dbi max gain 😔
That is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. You can get that from plastic SMA router antennas for $6 each. $24 for 4. lol
prideauxx

Post by prideauxx »

Antenna kit arrive today. I really like the wall/pole mount swivel antenna. Order placed from https://store.nwtowers.com --they were quick to ship and send tracking (happy).

The antenna:
antenna.jpeg

The mount:
mount2.jpeg
mount1.jpeg

More to come regarding the wall mount I intend on using this with as well as performance characteristics (my perspective, at least).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ciarlill
Been thanked: 0

Post by ciarlill »

Bummer that is is SMA connection. I picked up one of these too while waiting for The Wireless Haven to restock their 15dBi flat panel. Need to see about adapting it to N-type connectors in order to use it with my lightning arrestors.
BillA

Post by BillA »

ciarlill wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:28 pm Bummer that is is SMA connection. I picked up one of these too while waiting for The Wireless Haven to restock their 15dBi flat panel. Need to see about adapting it to N-type connectors in order to use it with my lightning arrestors.

Something like this might work, just make sure it needs SMA regular or SMA-RP connectors.
https://store.nwtowers.com/collections/ ... male-cable
prideauxx

Post by prideauxx »

ciarlill wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:28 pm Bummer that is is SMA connection. I picked up one of these too while waiting for The Wireless Haven to restock their 15dBi flat panel. Need to see about adapting it to N-type connectors in order to use it with my lightning arrestors.
There is an N-Type connector version available, please see below. Also, I'll be writing up a review on this shortly. For the money spent on this unit (11dB max gain), there may be better options. However, it being somewhat futureproof by supporting 5G frequencies may be its saving grace.

Link:
https://poynting.tech/antennas-and-acce ... xpol-2-5g/

Select 'Product Options' on this page, and refer to model 'A-XPOL-0002-V3-02', which ships without cables, but with female N-Type connectors.
BillA

Post by BillA »

prideauxx wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:01 pm There is an N-Type connector version available, please see below. Also, I'll be writing up a review on this shortly. For the money spent on this unit (11dB max gain), there may be better options. However, it being somewhat futureproof by supporting 5G frequencies may be its saving grace.

Link:
https://poynting.tech/antennas-and-acce ... xpol-2-5g/

Select 'Product Options' on this page, and refer to model 'A-XPOL-0002-V3-02', which ships without cables, but with female N-Type connectors.

I just wish they had a high gain 4X4MIMO all-in-one unit available. Supposedly they make one as a custom order but being housed in one box, due to the lack of separation distance between the two antennas, its gain is below 10db. Guess that's why the two piece units are more popular.

Return to “Cellular Antennas”