Leaving MOFI off to bigger and better things

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
TwoEightZero

Leaving MOFI off to bigger and better things

Post by TwoEightZero »

I'm glad I stumbled across this wonderful forum, I've been browsing for 2 weeks and have been overwhelmed with information.
I would like to ask a few question and clear a few things up before dropping some money on a new setup.

Short back story to start. For 8 years I paid Verizon DSL $59 a month for a 1-3 MB dry loop connection with a router that had to be reset daily. One day while searching YouTube I noticed a fun new product called a WIFI pineapple. I started my fun in LTE with a WIFI Pineapple from HAK5 and a tethered Galaxy s4 with a T-Mobile unlimited family plan which I've had forever.

In 2018 I switched to a MOFI4500 SIM 4. 2 weeks ago It just stopped working. (The SIM works in other devices it's the router for sure). I tried the horrible tech support option many times with nothing but rudeness from them. Basically I was told your device is out of warranty. The reset option doesn't work it's trash buy another one. I was floored, Here I though they were a big company, now I believe they are 2 guys living together in a house making bank on over priced equipment. I will admit it was simple and has worked well for what I needed so I can't completely fault them for my ignorance. They wont see another penny from me or anyone I talk to.

I used the MOFI with 25' of LMR240 and a Proxicast yagi for the primary antenna outside 6' off the ground and the supplied paddle antenna on the secondary. With the router inside sitting on my mantle and averaged 20-50MB Down 8-14MB Up. It's still faster than anything offered locally today.

My cell service through my house is all over the place from none to alot. On the mantle I use downstairs for the router I average a ping of 53ms 20MB down and 2 up on my Oneplus 7pro. The couch 6 feet away about 2MB down and barely an UP. When I moved here I walked around with selfie stick and the open signal app looking for the best spots to place everything. Surprisingly enough the Yagi outside 6' off the ground was somehow more optiomal than any other height I tried.

This is what I have thus far for my new journey:
T-Mobile Simple Choice Unl Family line i've been using for about 4 years
A broken Mofi4500 V2 SIM4 with the upgraded paddle antennas (Only Internet and WAN light stuck on)
A T-Mobile Branded ASUS TM-AC1900
A Proxicast 11 dBi Yagi (698-2700 MHz)installed outside my window on a 6' Pole.
A Wilson 10.6Dbi Yagi
25' Low-Loss LMR240 Size Coax N Male to SMA Male Jumper Cable
60' of Wilson 400 Weboost cable

I'm torn between three options:

I currently have my TV, TIVO OTA and NVIDIA Shield plugged into LAN Jacks. A roku, 2 wireless Amcrest cameras, 2 more smart TV's and 2 laptops along with 2 cell phones when home connected to WIFI.

1. Remaking a MOFI like setup again and basically just rebuilding what I had?
I believe I can do this with a Sierra Wireless MC7455 and A NEXQ60Go and that's all I should have to purchase? I believe the NEXQ is capable of speeds faster than the MOFI? I wouldn't mind trying the Wireless card from my MOFI and only being out $50 but i'd surely hate to burn up the NEXQ60 if that's what somehow failed in the first place.

2. The WG3526 is newer and faster yet? Whats the benefit of upgrading from the NEXQ60? I could possibly install a better card in the router itself? Then using it on my mantle like the MOFI? possibly with one External antenna outside on the 6' pole?

3. Mounting a weatherproof box outside with the correct adapter enclosure. I believe I can put any Modem inside the adapter enclosure? Then run a Ethernet cable inside to my T=Mobile branded ASUS TM-AC1900. The ASUS router also has USB 3.0 so would there be any benefit to running a USB Extension into the house from the roof? Would the T-Mobile router have to be flashed and running different firmware? or is all of that handled in the enclosure outside? I would also need 2 external LTE antennas and equal length coax? the biggest benefit to a setup like this is distance correct? IF I did this i could technically put my router inside my house anywhere?
BillA

Re: Leaving MOFI off to bigger and better things

Post by BillA »

You can extend the mobile router's ethernet or usb port, it's a matter of personal preference.
The advantage of the usb port extension is that you can leave the mobile router indoors for easier tweaking, diagnostics, and protection from the heat or cold. It also allows you to use the mobile router by itself as your main router, or connect it to the Tmobile Asus if you wish. The mobile router needs to be flashed with GoldenOrb/WiFix for the important TTL settings.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

TwoEightZero wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:55 pm I'm torn between three options:

1. Remaking a MOFI like setup again and basically just rebuilding what I had?
I believe I can do this with a Sierra Wireless MC7455 and A NEXQ60Go and that's all I should have to purchase? I believe the NEXQ is capable of speeds faster than the MOFI? I wouldn't mind trying the Wireless card from my MOFI and only being out $50 but i'd surely hate to burn up the NEXQ60 if that's what somehow failed in the first place.

2. The WG3526 is newer and faster yet? Whats the benefit of upgrading from the NEXQ60? I could possibly install a better card in the router itself? Then using it on my mantle like the MOFI? possibly with one External antenna outside on the 6' pole?

3. Mounting a weatherproof box outside with the correct adapter enclosure. I believe I can put any Modem inside the adapter enclosure? Then run a Ethernet cable inside to my T=Mobile branded ASUS TM-AC1900. The ASUS router also has USB 3.0 so would there be any benefit to running a USB Extension into the house from the roof? Would the T-Mobile router have to be flashed and running different firmware? or is all of that handled in the enclosure outside? I would also need 2 external LTE antennas and equal length coax? the biggest benefit to a setup like this is distance correct? IF I did this i could technically put my router inside my house anywhere?
1. Yes you could build a mofi like device with mc7455 and nexq60. Have you tried to install Rooter/golden orb firmware on it since you have nothing to loose. Realize you say it isn't responsive but you could try the boot loader method.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5
About the NEXQ router to my understanding it has better wifi abilities. The we826-t2 (mofi router) is legendary for its wifi issues. People me being one of them use them with the wifi turned off and another router plugged into its lan port for a internet connection.

2. The wg3526 has better wifi than the we826-t2 and it also has two wifi channels (2.4 & 5) like a more modern routers do. Also if you disable the the wifi on a wg3526 its lan ports get out put more speed. Most people report with because of the lan limitations on a we826 most you will see is 85 down.

3. Yes if you went the box outside method you would need to have some kind of firmware on a router to run the modem. Rooter / golden orb / openwrt/ etc. With this lte stuff you need something to communicate with the modem. Using the usb extension method (which i personal never have done) the idea is that you only need one router then instead of two.
You speeds and connectivity is all about signal strength and quality. A higher gain antenna get you more strength. But as you run longer and longer coax you start to loose some of that strength.
Yes having 2 matching antennas outside is best set up in a mimo type fashion. They also sell these mimo antennas all in one with very similar gains as your Wilson. Proxicast mimo actually have couple of these laying around if you wanted to by one.
Yes could technically put your router anywhere in your house that you wire from the outside box ran too.
Here is a link to look at signal loss calculator in coax wire.
https://www.timesmicrowave.com/Calculator

Tried the best I could to asnwer your questions. With all that being said would start out small. First just try that bootloader mode recovery method. It is free!
If that don't work by a router or modem enclosure and use the router you have and see if the the MC7455 modem inside the mofi still good!
If you your happy with your speeds before just going to an outside mimo antenna set up should be just fine for you in my opinion for an upgrade. Can't make definite promises but odds are in that favor.

Further more if you decide to try the bootloader meth will need to get a copy of the firmware on your pc as well.
And the directions say to hold the reset button and watch the lights and you can't do that with your maybe. So I use the 30 30 30 method and it seems to work every time for me. Basically hold reset button for 30 seconds, then unplug power continue to hold 30 seconds, plug power in hold for 30 seconds then release.
TwoEightZero

Post by TwoEightZero »

BillA wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:11 am You can extend the mobile router's ethernet or usb port, it's a matter of personal preference.
The advantage of the usb port extension is that you can leave the mobile router indoors for easier tweaking, diagnostics, and protection from the heat or cold. It also allows you to use the mobile router by itself as your main router, or connect it to the Tmobile Asus if you wish. The mobile router needs to be flashed with GoldenOrb/WiFix for the important TTL settings.
Hi Bill thanks for taking the time to read my post and respond.
To make sure i'm on the same page a mounted outside setup would include The USB3 to Mini PCI-E adapter enclosure https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/pcie-m-2/mini-p ... card-slot/
The wireless card would be installed in this enclosure. Also the antennas on this enclosure would be unscrewed and I would screw my 2 external antennas pointing at the tower here to the enclosure?
I would then run the USB 3.0 of any length cable into the house and connect it to a router specifically one with goldenorb installed like the NexQ60go, or ZBT-WE1326 or WG3526. I wouldn't need a modem installed in this router I would clearly be using it to run the enclosure outside? The three mentioned would also be the final router broadcasting the signal in my home? If I wanted to use the ASUS Tmobile router to save money i would have to flash it to run goldenorb and eliminate the Nexq, we1326 and the wg3526.
TwoEightZero

Post by TwoEightZero »

gscheb wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:26 am 1. Have you tried to install Rooter/golden orb firmware on it since you have nothing to loose. Realize you say it isn't responsive but you could try the boot loader method.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5
Wow thanks Gsched for reading my post and replying. I tried the method multiple times over multiple days. I tried all the button combinations wwith times, I tried pinging it waiting for a change. Both lights stay lit the whole time. Nothing ever changes with that status.
gscheb wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:26 am 3. Yes if you went the box outside method you would need to have some kind of firmware on a router to run the modem. Rooter / golden orb / openwrt/ etc. With this lte stuff you need something to communicate with the modem. Using the usb extension method (which i personal never have done) the idea is that you only need one router then instead of two.
You speeds and connectivity is all about signal strength and quality. A higher gain antenna get you more strength. But as you run longer and longer coax you start to loose some of that strength.
Yes having 2 matching antennas outside is best set up in a mimo type fashion. They also sell these mimo antennas all in one with very similar gains as your Wilson. Proxicast mimo actually have couple of these laying around if you wanted to by one.
Yes could technically put your router anywhere in your house that you wire from the outside box ran too.
Here is a link to look at signal loss calculator in coax wire.
https://www.timesmicrowave.com/Calculator
I thought that was the case. I would try to leave the antenna cables chortest possible then run the usb or ethernet cable into the house due to the no loss of that style of cable. I really like the idea of everthing installed in the 2x2 or 4x4 mimo enclosure for the clean look. I mostly need to just get back connected to the net then experiment and play later :)

Tried the best I could to asnwer your questions. With all that being said would start out small. First just try that bootloader mode recovery method. It is free!
If that don't work by a router or modem enclosure and use the router you have and see if the the MC7455 modem inside the mofi still good!

I hope I don't put the Wireless card in my new modem and it lets the smoke out.. Surely the router went up and hopefully the card is still good. maybe ill start with the NEWq6go for that reason. then work up to a better router like the WE1326 or the WG3526.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Yes good idea. It is good to have a back up. Several times needed one here or someplace else when something goes squirrely.
BillA

Post by BillA »

TwoEightZero wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:20 pm Hi Bill thanks for taking the time to read my post and respond.
To make sure i'm on the same page a mounted outside setup would include The USB3 to Mini PCI-E adapter enclosure https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/pcie-m-2/mini-p ... card-slot/
The wireless card would be installed in this enclosure. Also the antennas on this enclosure would be unscrewed and I would screw my 2 external antennas pointing at the tower here to the enclosure?
I would then run the USB 3.0 of any length cable into the house and connect it to a router specifically one with goldenorb installed like the NexQ60go, or ZBT-WE1326 or WG3526. I wouldn't need a modem installed in this router I would clearly be using it to run the enclosure outside? The three mentioned would also be the final router broadcasting the signal in my home? If I wanted to use the ASUS Tmobile router to save money i would have to flash it to run goldenorb and eliminate the Nexq, we1326 and the wg3526.

If you go with a modem in an external USB enclosure, you would extend its usb port to the router indoors.
If you go with a WE826-T2/Q as a modem enclosure (in bypass mode, not for routing purposes), you would extend its ethernet port to the router indoors. There's really no reason to put the main router outdoors and expose it to the heat and cold.
In the case of the external USB modem, you would flash your main router (Tmobile Asus) with GoldenOrb/WiFix to be able to control the TTL settings.
In case of the WE826 used as a modem enclosure, you could leave the stock firmware on the main router, since the WE826 has the TTL settings built in.
Basically there are many ways to skin a cat (don't do it! lol), it's a matter of personal preference/budget.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

BillA wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:53 pm If you go with a modem in an external USB enclosure, you would extend its usb port to the router indoors. There's really reason to put a perfectly good router outdoors and expose it to the heat and cold.
In the case of the external USB modem, you would flash your main router (Tmobile Asus) with GoldenOrb/WiFix to be able to control the TTL settings.
Hello BillA.
I have always got your logic of not putting a router in the elements. And don't have to have two routers this way so be cheaper I likey cheaper. Honestly I have been going the Ethernet route. My question is if you go the USB route how do I power the modem? Now using POE thru the Ethernet wire.
BillA

Post by BillA »

gscheb wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:07 pm Hello BillA.
I have always got your logic of not putting a router in the elements. And don't have to have two modems this waybso cheaper I likey cheaper. Honestly I have been going the ethernet route. My question is if you go the USB route how do I power the modem? Now using POE thru the ethernet wire.

Using a UBS3 extension cable should supply enough power to the modem and also carry data.
In case the modem draws too much power you can connect an inexpensive powered USB3 hub to the main router's usb port then connect the USB3 extension cable to the hub running to the modem.
You could also use a cheap Android phone as a modem, course with no external antennas.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

BillA wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:14 pm Using a UBS3 extension cable should supply enough power to the modem and also carry data.
In case the modem draws too much power you can connect an inexpensive powered USB3 hub to the main router's usb port then connect the USB3 extension cable to the hub running to the modem.
You could also use a cheap Android phone as a modem, course with no external antennas.
Think it has enough power for like a Telit LM960 ir the Quectel EM20? How many feet can you run of USB before you are too long?

You know don't think I have seen this setup on this forum at all. Typically see the POE ethernet set up. Have you seen this done on here?

I definitely need antennas for sure.
Viper67857

Post by Viper67857 »

BillA wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:53 pm In the case of the external USB modem, you would flash your main router (Tmobile Asus) with GoldenOrb/WiFix to be able to control the TTL settings.
I'd find out exactly what model that router is before making any decisions. If it's an Asus rt-ac1900p (aka Asus rt-68u), then the wifi won't work at all under OpenWrt/Goldenorb. They will work w/o goldenorb, and there's even ways to control ttl, but mine didn't like operating with a 30ft usb3 extension cable, even a quality one with external power. It worked, but recognized the cable as a USB hub instead of a modem, and speeds were like 5mb instead of the 50mb+ I get otherwise. Basically, if it's a 68u variant, stick with stock or Merlin firmware and go PoE instead of USB.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Viper67857 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:38 am I'd find out exactly what model that router is before making any decisions. If it's an Asus rt-ac1900p (aka Asus rt-68u), then the wifi won't work at all under OpenWrt/Goldenorb. They will work w/o goldenorb, and there's even ways to control ttl, but mine didn't like operating with a 30ft usb3 extension cable, even a quality one with external power. It worked, but recognized the cable as a USB hub instead of a modem, and speeds were like 5mb instead of the 50mb+ I get otherwise. Basically, if it's a 68u variant, stick with stock or Merlin firmware and go PoE instead of USB.
Was considering doing this with a WG3526 does that make things different? Would need like a 30 foot USB wire.
Viper67857

Post by Viper67857 »

gscheb wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:31 am Was considering doing this with a WG3526 does that make things different? Would need like a 30 foot USB wire.
That should work fine as long as it's a quality cable.. BillA has reported success with that setup. You might want to ask him what brand of cable he has.
BillA

Post by BillA »

Viper67857 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:45 am That should work fine as long as it's a quality cable.. BillA has reported success with that setup. You might want to ask him what brand of cable he has.

It's been working perfectly fine at high speeds with an 20meters long quality Tripplite USB3 cable (can also be daisy chained) which can carry high speed data and power at the same time. Cheap stuff won't work.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=6586#p6586

If for some reason the router's USB3 port doesn't supply enough power to the modem, you can connect a powered USB3 hub to the router's port then connect the USB3 cable into the hub (just like an ethernet POE injector but for usb).
TwoEightZero

Post by TwoEightZero »

BillA wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:14 pm You could also use a cheap Android phone as a modem, course with no external antennas.
My hunting cabin is directly under a tower. I've only been able to use PDANET and things of the like to directly tether the phone to a computer. Could you direct me to a link on the site explaining how to Tether the phone to the USB port I assume on a router and broadcast that signal for a wireless connection?
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

http://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1337#p8938
TwoEightZero

Post by TwoEightZero »

Hello everyone
Thanks to Everyone here and Richard I am now using the NEXQ6GO-U and my original MC7455. Everything is currently working i've had some TTL hiccups hopefully I got it figured out now.
My ASUS router is a TM-AC1900 FCCID MSQ-RTAC68U So I thinks it's one I can't flash or whatever. It's also older so probably not as good as the WIFI im currently using. I am happy with the WIFI from NEXQ6GO but still debating moving it to shorten the antenna cables and have the inside router installed in a better spot than the NEXQ currently is VIA Ethernet cable.
Technically it would be the modem router installed on one side of the house and the ASUS or whatever installed in the center.
Can the 4 lan ports be used on each router if I was using the NEXGO as a passthrough to the router downstairs? That way I would have 4 ethernet ports upstairs then the 4 downstairs on the wifi part of the setup?
BillA

Post by BillA »

TwoEightZero wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:09 am Hello everyone
Thanks to Everyone here and Richard I am now using the NEXQ6GO-U and my original MC7455. Everything is currently working i've had some TTL hiccups hopefully I got it figured out now.
My ASUS router is a TM-AC1900 FCCID MSQ-RTAC68U So I thinks it's one I can't flash or whatever. It's also older so probably not as good as the WIFI im currently using. I am happy with the WIFI from NEXQ6GO but still debating moving it to shorten the antenna cables and have the inside router installed in a better spot than the NEXQ currently is VIA Ethernet cable.
Technically it would be the modem router installed on one side of the house and the ASUS or whatever installed in the center.
Can the 4 lan ports be used on each router if I was using the NEXGO as a passthrough to the router downstairs? That way I would have 4 ethernet ports upstairs then the 4 downstairs on the wifi part of the setup?

Once you put the NEXQ6GO into bypass mode, it's no longer serving as a DHCP server.
On the original WE826 you could only use the LAN1 port as an output in bypass mode, not sure about this new version.
If the other LAN ports happen to work, you could only connect it to another router which served as DHCP, not to any other devices.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”