Mofi 4500 Input power

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
Ogmixer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Mofi 4500 Input power

Post by Ogmixer »

I’ve been using my mofi 4500 for awhile and recently added two outside Omni directional antennas. I am a truck driver so that’s my only option, but I was wondering how much of a booster (dB gain) I could put in-line with my mofi and not burn it up with too much power. I’ve seen a couple people use WeBoost’s boosters but then others say they will burn a router up because of the increased dB. Just not too sure what to try.
Viper67857

Re: Mofi 4500 Input power

Post by Viper67857 »

For LTE modems, in-line boosters tend to amplify the noise as much as the signal, so you don't really gain anything. Better antennas is about all you can do.. Are those nice 10dbi whip omnis or smaller 5dbi ones?
TwoEightZero

Re: Mofi 4500 Input power

Post by TwoEightZero »

Adding a booster doesn't necessarily mean that you're amplifying the carrier signal. When trying to amplify a weak incoming signal, a booster can and will amplify the noise as well. So while your dbm levels are good, the actual signal quality may not be. You said you're driving a truck. I would suggest mounting some kind of raisable pole to the back of the cab. When you stop for a period of time you could raise the antenna as high as possible. Height is your best friend. Even adding à 2 way switch with a LED light to remind you the antennas up before you take off to the next stop.

Return to “General and Unclassified”