Mofi4500 losing internet.... Kind of

Topics related to MoFi branded routers
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
gave20
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Mofi4500 losing internet.... Kind of

Post by gave20 »

For the past month and half like others who have posted here I'm having internet issues with both my sold nighthawk and now new mofi4500 router. I have an att unlimited hotspot family plan, not a iPad work around however I'm losing internet on some of my connected devises. I use a linksys wifi router for the home internet and the hotspot as the modem and for some reason I can stream TV just fine however if I'm using the tablet I'll lose service on the tablet but not the tv. If I restart the mofi4500 all devices will work if not, any device outside of one won't connect... Any thoughts? I'm at a loss on this one. The mofi isn't stable enough to have several devices connected but not sure if this isn't a wifi issue.
catcatcat

Re: Mofi4500 losing internet.... Kind of

Post by catcatcat »

This sounds very similar to what's been happening to some users on the iPad plan, where only tcp traffic on ports 80 and 443 (typically used for web browsing, but not streaming video services) gets blocked.

Here's a way to check if this is what's happening to you. When you lose service on your tablet, try and visit http://portquiz.net:80/ and then http://portquiz.net:8888/ If the second link works, but not the first, then port 80 traffic is being blocked and you have the same issue as people on the iPad plan. This is highly unlikely to be a problem with your mofi or linksys.

Assuming your usage of the hotspot is within the TOS, then I think you have a reasonable chance of getting AT&T to fix it if you explain to them what happens when you try to go to these portquiz links. It will likely take several attempts to get through to a knowledgeable tech support person who will understand the problem.
gave20

Post by gave20 »

thanks I tried the links today when it happened and it is being blocked on port 80. I'm not sure why I can continue to stream with the one connected devises and others won't connect but I'll contact Att and see what they say.
jmatthew

Post by jmatthew »

Take a look at [url=http://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1403]my thread here[/url], and you can see what fixed it for me:
ps0ps

Post by ps0ps »

The most recent mofi firmware (4.2.8) has solved these AT&T port blocking issues for us. Upgraded a week ago and it's not gone down since.
acnebs

Post by acnebs »

This has been happening to me for like a year now, with constant rebooting of the router being the fix I've been using.

My issue is confounded by the fact that the Access Point I have (plugged in to Eth1) hates my Mofi 4500, so if it is plugged in when the Mofi is trying to reboot the Mofi usually craps itself on startup (some weird DHCP thing I think). So I need to turn off my AP, reboot the Mofi, then turn back on the AP when Mofi has finished rebooting.

The **VPN solution** has worked for me in the interim, though I'm still hoping to find a "real" solution to this problem.

Definitely does seem to be something weird with AT&T, as usually when this happens I can still access 1. Google 2. Anything over HTTP (not HTTPS). For 2, I discovered this by going to sites like http://captive.apple.com and http://neverssl.com, which always serve an HTTP connection. Apparently you can also use portquiz.net to test the same thing.

If it was the router doing something I don't think this would be the case. My first guess was that AT&T was trying to MITM my SSL connections in a way that was completely breaking the connection itself. After reading this forum, maybe it is just that they're trying to throttle abuse or something. I'm on **Ubifi**, so I don't think I should be hit with that if true.

As an additional note, I've noticed that when stuff starts to act up, the ping times to my Mofi go crazy (500-2000ms and timeouts), as tested by running `ping 192.168.10.1` when on the Mofi's wifi network. **However** (and this is a big and weird however that I don't understand), if my computers are on the wifi network being provided by my Access Point (which is just bridging to the Mofi's network), the ping times remain normal (1-10ms range). Both networks suffer from not being able to access HTTPS and connecting to a VPN fixes both. But ping times remain silly on the Mofi's network. My best guess is that AT&T is messing something up, which is causing the Mofi to overcompensate somehow and mess up all the traffic so that I end up with terrible ping times on the Mofi network.

Things that kinda helped:
* I was having a different issue with DNS I think, and switching my Mofi to use Cloudflare's DNS servers (`1.1.1.1` and `1.0.0.1`) seems to have helped with that issue.

Things I've tried that don't seem to have helped:
* Upgrading to latest firmware (on 4.3.0-std now)
* Bandlocking (currently bandlocked to B5 and B12 as those are the best in my area, and I want carrier agg. as I have SIM4 model).
toddw

Post by toddw »

Have you tried using a static IP on the AP that is outside the default dhcp on the mofi, maybe give it 192.168.10.8. That way you have no DHCP packets flying around during boot up.
undertowzen

Post by undertowzen »

"My issue is confounded by the fact that the Access Point I have (plugged in to Eth1) hates my Mofi 4500, so if it is plugged in when the Mofi is trying to reboot the Mofi usually craps itself on startup (some weird DHCP thing I think). So I need to turn off my AP, reboot the Mofi, then turn back on the AP when Mofi has finished rebooting."

If your router attached to the MOFI has STP or Spanning Tree Protocol option available try either enabling or disabling this to see if it helps any, I had this issue until I messed around with it. On some routers enabling helped on others disabling helped. Sometimes you'll find this under LAN options or other times its just scattered about in various places.

You can also take a look at my most recent post here to see if its of any assistance

https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=8& ... 887#p13887
BillA

Post by BillA »

toddw wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:44 am Have you tried using a static IP on the AP that is outside the default dhcp on the mofi, maybe give it 192.168.10.8. That way you have no DHCP packets flying around during boot up.

Good point.... another method is to leave the access point's WAN port on auto/dynamic IP, and assign a static IP address on the mobile router by entering the access point's MAC address along with a static IP at the bottom of the page (Static Leases). This method can be used to assign static IP's to all your devices on your local network for easier access, and less random craziness.

http://192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/luci/admin/network/dhcp

Fill in the following:
Hostname: <blank>
MAC-Address IPv4-Address: 192.168.1.2 (or another last digit which hasn't been assigned yet)
Lease time: 1h ("1h" will rescan it every hour for reliability)
DUID: <blank>
IPv6-Suffix (hex): <blank>

Return to “MoFi Routers”