Any cheap options for backup internet service?

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
tvecell
Has thanked: 0

Any cheap options for backup internet service?

Post by tvecell »

I have a DSL, which is fine, unless the power goes out 'cause the head-end dies seconds after the power... So I've been running LTE as a backup link on Verizon, using US-mobile pre-paid refilling a 1GB SIM (now 1.5GB) monthly for under $15. Due to power pole replacements we've had around 16 day-long power outages in the past 12 months (don't get me started) and I don't see that ending... We usually can get by on 1GB for a day and it's easy to add another GB or two using US-mobile's interface if we really need to. Problem is that even though you can get the SIMs with only data you're supposed to only use a phone. I'm wondering whether anyone has recommendations for similarly priced options that are more legit for routers.
MattB29

Re: Any cheap options for backup internet service?

Post by MattB29 »

Both Red Pocket and Cricket offer DATA only sims on AT&T as the carrier. I presently am on the Cricket 20GB for $35/mo with a Netgear LB1120. Previously I was using Red pocket of 5gb for $25/mo. on the same device. Cricket does require that your IMEI is approved and I had to visit their store and pay the connection and service fees ($30 IIIRC). Been working excellently for me. Red pocket does not have any additional fees but you might have to deal with getting LTE working through customer service. AT&T sometimes wants to assign 3g only to non phone use of sims. Red Pocket does offer a 1GB plan for $10.

This is my only home internet.
LoveMeSomeCALTE

Re: Any cheap options for backup internet service?

Post by LoveMeSomeCALTE »

MattB29 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:05 pm Both Red Pocket and Cricket offer DATA only sims on AT&T as the carrier. I presently am on the Cricket 20GB for $35/mo with a Netgear LB1120. Previously I was using Red pocket of 5gb for $25/mo. on the same device. Cricket does require that your IMEI is approved and I had to visit their store and pay the connection and service fees ($30 IIIRC)
Is this specifically for Cricket's Simply Data plan (I assume you're talking about them?) or any of their plans?

Return to “Internet Service Providers”