Setting TTL on the WG3526 with an EC25 Modem

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
prideauxx

Setting TTL on the WG3526 with an EC25 Modem

Post by prideauxx »

Hello!

I've been stalking the board for some time. I have a rural setup that currently consists of a Mofi4500 using Ubifi.net MVNO's data plan. My background is computer science and electrical engineering, and I've worn a few hats over the years with a few different places.

When I first joined early this year, BillA was extraordinarily helpful in giving advice for a quality failover setup (intend on using 2 cellular ISP's--At&t and TMobile) that improved greatly on what I was working with (wife runs a business, children will need it for school, I need it for work/VTC). I was about to pull the trigger when the unexpected happened and I lost my job (needed to circle wagons and this fell off the list). Fast forward to now, all things resolved jobwise, and it would seem due to many factors I won't go into (obvious ones), I could not get my hands on a WG3526 in a timely fashion--my first choice of business is/will be thewirelesshaven.com, but I missed the boat.

After doing a good amount of searching and research, I was able to locate a used WG3526 with a Quectel EC25 modem. I was very lucky to notice when it arrived today that is has the WiFix firmware on it, and appeared to be a unit sold from thewirelesshaven.com!

I first had to figure out how to get admin access back on the device tonight (last resort was reflashing, using the Chinese-language failsafe mode, to 'openwrt-WiFiX-WG3526-GO2020-05-16-upgrade.bin'). All good, I had access. I next used a spare At&t SIM I have from my At&t cellular data plan (from an old, loaner IPhone SE) and got Internet access on the device. This testing complete, I know the device is functional!

The next steps are to order a Mini PCI-E to M.2 adapter kit and a Quectel EM20-G CAT20 M.2 modem (hopefully from thewirelesshaven.com) and get the current setup modernized for what I plan to do next.

The questions I have (and I apologize for being dense if I am):
* Top or bottom slot Mini PCI-E to M.2 adapter for the WG3526?
* How to set TTL on the WG3526? I've googled and checked the site out regarding this. The only option that seems close is Modem-->Connection Profile-->Advanced-->Connection Delay in Seconds. Am I close?

Thank you much--I welcome any advice, and I will start posting details/photos of my wiring cabinet, the equipment I am using to do load-balancing/fail-over, etc. Very excited to be part of this group, and being able to actually do something to help with the Internet woes!

Best,

Justin
prideauxx

Re: Setting TTL on the WG3526 with an EC25 Modem

Post by prideauxx »

Set TTL on WG3526 running 'openwrt-WiFiX-WG3526-GO2020-05-16-upgrade.bin':
* Network --> Firewall --> Custom TTL Settings
* Check 'Enabled'
* Set TTL as desired from textbox 'TTL Value'

Likely perform a device reboot afterwards--not sure if necessary, but it ensures the settings take effect.

This was on wirelessjoint.com after all. Just needed to keep looking--hope this helps (link to details below).
* https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?t=233
prideauxx

Post by prideauxx »

Answering this question myself as well, in hopes of helping others.

For the WG3526, it would appear that the Mini PCI-E to M.2 adapter to use is the one with the top-mounted SIM card tray. Link below, thank you, and sorry.
* https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=832
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Your all over it :)

Top SIM is the go to. The green adapter board.

The items you're looking for are available on the The Wireless Haven temp proxy shop at https://Facebook.com/netsolution.shop/shop/

If you don't use Facebook, you can email me for help.

I prefer to use the "Custom Rules" section next to the "Custom TTL" page and simply enter in:

#start TTL rules Change all the values of "65" to any you choose, maybe 64, or 117 seems popular for Verizon
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65

#Start IPV6 TTL (hl) rules … usually onlyneeded for T-Mobile and sometimes Verizon, not recommended for ATT
#ip6tables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 65
#ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 65
#end TTL rules

Under Network-->Firewall-->Custom rules.
After entry click the "Restart Firewall" button. No reboot required
prideauxx

Post by prideauxx »

This is excellent. Thank you! iptables approach is a good alternative—I can muck through it if I spend enough time researching what it is I’m trying to do due to lack of often/common use (my fault/problem, not iptables fault). It’s a bad excuse, but the one I am currently using. Thank you again.

Return to “General and Unclassified”