Very Strange Speed Throttling

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
MLGResolve
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Very Strange Speed Throttling

Post by MLGResolve »

So, I currently my setup is a standalone Nighthawk M1 device. I have ordered a router and I am going to install dd-wrt on it so that I can have the TTL set across the board and also use my VPN...rather than have to do it on each device. But I am writing this because I am getting throttled and it is quite weird.

So I have an unlimited plan with Simple Mobile, the 50$ plan. Aside from my Nighthawk M1 device, I also own a MOFI4500 sim7 that I purchased and after only an hour - two of having the sim card in the MOFI, it was detected as an unauthorized device and my plan was deactivated. After calling I got it reactivated with a slap on the wrist. For some reason having the sim card in the Nighthawk is no problem at all. But just yesterday I hit about 10GB of device data usage on my account (I already ran out of my 5GB hotspot data because my TTL was not spoofed) Since yesterday, I have noticed that my speeds are consistently being limited. However after playing around and taking the sim out and sticking it into my phone for 10 min, I tried again afterward and I was back to normal speed of 20down and 5up!

I have tried using my VPN to get around the throttling to no avail. I am not sure why this is the case, I have not had a chance to try this again... I was just wondering if anyone else had similar experience and what could possibly be done to resolve this heavy throttling. I am not sure how the provisioning for throttling work, if its done to the account, device, sim...But like I said, after pulling the sim out and putting it in a regular iphone 7....I was back to normal speeds, until 24hrs later where I am right back to where I was yesterday.

Below I have attached an image of a speed test that I just ran (behind my personal OpenVPN) it is the same whether I am connect to it or not.

Thanks for any advice/help! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BillA

Re: Very Strange Speed Throttling

Post by BillA »

Basically what's happening is that in the Nighthawk M1 has used up the included 5GB hotspot data, and it got throttled after that. Obviously if you stick the sim into a phone it's fast again since it's not using hotspot data. A VPN won't bypass it, the only way is by setting the TTL to 65, unfortunately you can't do that on the M1. A workaround would be to connect the M1 to an OpenWRT router which has TTL settings.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”