Mobile Citizen Hotspot Sucks (Help me build a better one)

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
shirtsvegan
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Mobile Citizen Hotspot Sucks (Help me build a better one)

Post by shirtsvegan »

Hey everyone, I'm surprised I haven't seen these people mentioned:

https://connectall.org/internet.html

As they have the cheapest hotspot I can find, $110.95, with a monthly bill of $11.95. However their hotspot device absolutely SUCKS, they use the Coolpad Surf Hotspot which is the absolute worst piece of junk I have ever used. It is terrible, frequently disconnects, speeds are whacky, and battery life is a joke. Now, I've used Mobile Citizen resellers in the past with the Franklin R850 which was a step above this, but I cannot take it anymore.

Can someone help me, or recommend to me an alternative to their hotspot device, which I can take with me on the go? Something that I can either plug into a battery bank, or something that has it's own battery.

Thanks!

**I already have a Sierra MC7455 so we can start there.
MattB29

Re: Mobile Citizen Hotspot Sucks (Help me build a better one)

Post by MattB29 »

Taking a quick look at the Terms of Service over at Mobile Citizen I see this,
2. Equipment
You must purchase all necessary Equipment through Reseller. Rental arrangements are not permitted without Mobile Citizen’s prior written consent, nor is the use of third-party equipment. You agree not to tamper with, modify, reverse-engineer or interfere with the Equipment.

Not that means that a different device might not work out for you. They may not enforce their terms. Just something to consider.

As mobile devices go the Netgear Nighthawk MR1100 mobile hotspot is about as good as it gets.
sjura10

Post by sjura10 »

If you’re strictly wanting to have a mobile hotspot that has built-in battery than one option I can think of is the upgraded hotspot from Sprint called the MiFi 8000. Out of the box that will work with all of Sprint’s network. I have read good things about it.

However I tried it at my house and could not get over 2 MBPS and most the time it would not even connect to Sprint even when the cool pad surf could get 5 MBPS reliably. It’s supposed to have really good capabilities with MIMO and 5x CA so maybe it will work better for you ??

You’ll need to buy it outright for $240+tax. Sprint has a 30 day moneyback on the device to try it out (60 days if you have business account). You may need to purchase a data plan with it but that could be canceled at any time and can also be refunded if you’re not happy with it. But use that data plan first to test out if you’re even happy with the device.

If you’re satisfied, you would need to call Sprint and talk to hotspot department and ask them to provision your SIM card (from Mobile Citizen) to the new device. Don’t tell Sprint it’s with Mobile Citizen, just give them least amount of information as possible. All they need is IMEI number and Sim card number. That should replace your junky cool pad surf.

Which I agree, coolpad surf sucks and marketing is very deceptive. It says up to 150 Mbps download but I’ve stood by the tower and max is between 5-10 Mbps

Best of luck,
Silas
sjura10

Post by sjura10 »

MattB29 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:30 pm Taking a quick look at the Terms of Service over at Mobile Citizen I see this,

Not that means that a different device might not work out for you. They may not enforce their terms. Just something to consider.

As mobile devices go the Netgear Nighthawk MR1100 mobile hotspot is about as good as it gets.
Somebody correct me if I’m wrong but I believe this does not work on the Sprint network. It does not support any of Sprint’s bands but yes I agree it’s probably the best hotspot modem for the carriers it supports
sjura10

Post by sjura10 »

shirtsvegan wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:48 pm **I already have a Sierra MC7455 so we can start there.
You could install your cellular modem into a router enclosure such as this over at The Wireless Haven: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/routers/lte-routers/nexq6go/.

Then just connect it to a battery bank. There are tutorials on this forum how to install your modem into that model.
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

sjura10 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:14 am Somebody correct me if I’m wrong but I believe this does not work on the Sprint network. It does not support any of Sprint’s bands but yes I agree it’s probably the best hotspot modem for the carriers it supports
I did not notice that this Mobile Citizen was a Sprint service. My error. Hard to say what bands may work going forward now that Sprint and T-Mobile are one.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”