Help interpret AT!GSTATUS report

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
bartman99
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help interpret AT!GSTATUS report

Post by bartman99 »

I have a Cradlepoint CBA850 with a LP6 modem. I have 2 700-2700MHz 15dBi 4G LTE Directional Antenna (Linear ± 45°) antennas and use AT&T. My internet significantly waxes and wanes all day. I get max speeds of about 25Mbs all the way down to <1.0Mbs (or nothing). Though 25 is not great, it's probably the best I can do.

I have tried using AT!GSTATUS to see what the modem is connecting to, but I need help interpreting it. I also need help setting up the modem to lock onto specific bands (if that would help.)

Here is a decent download speed (22Mbs)
22MBPS fast.PNG

Here is another decent download speed (27Mbs), but almost no upload speed (doesn't even register on test)
Screenshot 2020-07-17 at 12.08.35 PM.png

Significantly slower, but I still get some download speed (5.1Mbs)
5.1 Fast.PNG

No internet connection at all (0-<1Mbs)
Unable to test.PNG

Another time-No internet connection at all (0-<1Mbs)
Unable to test fast.PNG

It looks like B2 is usually better (what about B12?) and B4 is bad. Any other conclusions I can draw from this data?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Viper67857

Re: Help interpret AT!GSTATUS report

Post by Viper67857 »

How high have you mounted those antennas and have you fine tuned the angles for max signal? Your signal strength, even on the 'good' end, is barely usable...
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

Numbers don't look good for reception. Being AT&T you most likely would want to have Band 12 as your primary LTE band. One thing I have a question about is what AT&T plan are you running? Also do you have a TTL value set on the Cradlepoint?

You might have to repoint your antenna until you get in Band 12 perhaps from a different tower with a RSRP better than -112db and a RSRQ of better than -12db.
bartman99

Post by bartman99 »

Viper67857 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:53 am How high have you mounted those antennas and have you fine tuned the angles for max signal? Your signal strength, even on the 'good' end, is barely usable...
Yes, I have spent a lot of time on the roof. The antennas are about 35' up. That's the best I can do.

Would there be any benefit trying to lock B2?
bartman99

Post by bartman99 »

MattB29 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:10 pm Numbers don't look good for reception. Being AT&T you most likely would want to have Band 12 as your primary LTE band. One thing I have a question about is what AT&T plan are you running? Also do you have a TTL value set on the Cradlepoint?

You might have to repoint your antenna until you get in Band 12 perhaps from a different tower with a RSRP better than -112db and a RSRQ of better than -12db.
I am running the At&T Mobi plan. There are no other AT&T towers nearby, unfortunately. I am not sure what the TTL value on the Cradlepoint is. Can you clarify? Would there be any benefit to lock Ch2?
Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 2.36.23 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 2.36.34 PM.jpg

Here is a view from the roof at the level of the antennas in the direction of the tower. A lot of trees!
IMG_20200503_102332.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Viper67857

Post by Viper67857 »

I wouldn't lock into band 2 as you probably won't get any CA, but I might lock out band 4 since it's really bad in your case. Maybe look into a parabolic grid with at least 700-2700mhz support, those have a bit more gain that your flat panels (~26dbi on the high end) and are more directional.

Also, do you have the modem in an enclosure up there with the antennas or do you have a long run of cable? Long runs give a lot of loss, especially if it isn't lmr400.
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

In regards to your signal strength though you might have to go to a signal booster. Don't buy the cheap Chinese ones. Not worth the money. You can find a rundown on the best boosters over at https://www.ubersignal.com/4g-lte-signal-boosters

*Doing some searching I see that you can not set TTL in a Cradlepoint. Sorry about that.
bartman99

Post by bartman99 »

Viper67857 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:04 pm Also, do you have the modem in an enclosure up there with the antennas or do you have a long run of cable? Long runs give a lot of loss, especially if it isn't lmr400.
Thanks!
My modem is at the end of about 25' of LMR400.
How do I lock out B4 on this modem?
bartman99

Post by bartman99 »

MattB29 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:16 pm *

In regards to your signal strength though you might have to go to a signal booster. Don't buy the cheap Chinese ones. Not worth the money. You can find a rundown on the best boosters over at https://www.ubersignal.com/4g-lte-signal-boosters

*Doing some searching I see that you can not set TTL in a Cradlepoint. Sorry about that.
Thanks!
It looks like most of these boosters increase signal to a cell phone. Do they also connect directly to my modem? Do any do 2x2MIMO?
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

Cell phones, mobile hotspots, wireless modems routers. All run from cellular signals. They get assigned a phone number even if you do not have voice service.

Your wireless modem would not need a direct antenna connection. Just its own antennas to pick up the piped in signal from the booster antenna setup. If you read up on the Number 2. ( Cel-fi GoX ) listed booster on the link it will go into how it all works and what antennas that you might need.

Note: I am not recommending it as such since I do not own this device. I luckily have fair reception where I live. Not good but usable.
Viper67857

Post by Viper67857 »

Boosters work fine for getting usable phone service... They are not so hot for LTE modems...

As for band locking, there are plenty of threads on these boards with those commands... I'm not familiar enough with that modem to know them off-hand.
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

Viper67857 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:36 pm Boosters work fine for getting usable phone service... They are not so hot for LTE modems...

Could you explain why? A LTE signal for your phone or a device is the same radio frequency signal. If you have real world experience in this or can point to something that explains it I would be interested in reading it.

Thanks.

ETA: I found a rather interesting video explanation of it at https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... fDUC_UogLM

Based on the distance the OP is from the cell tower a booster may be better than MIMO.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Cradlepoints cant do TTL.

On the CBA850, to set the band you have to open the CLI terminal and run the command:

Code: Select all

ATTERM
Then run band lock commands according to :
[url]http://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=364[/url]

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”