EM7455 PLEASE HELP !

Sierra Wireless AirPrime Modem Card Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Longreen

EM7455 PLEASE HELP !

Post by Longreen »

Hello people.

I have a Dell branded EM7455 that did show up in Windows Device manager(as Qualcom LTE and status is OK) but could not find any net connection with my 4G card inserted (either in the USB adapter or on my x86 SBC that has modem slot and sim slot integrated)

So i downloaded Ubuntu LTS 18.4 and followed this post : https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=72

It can see modem and also reset it and reboot but fails on the download of the newest firmware and says something like "download failed on server file is too small" and so does not get flashed the firmware to general.

Now when i test it again under windows i get 3 times yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager and the modem can not be started.

How do i get it back like it was before, or more importantly how do i get correct script from before mentioned post so i get the modem updated to latest general firmware correctly ?

Im totally lost here so much appreciate Your help guys !

Thank You
terryjett

Re: EM7455 PLEASE HELP !

Post by terryjett »

This is only a temp fix I made on a forked version and it worked for me. Made a change to bash script recommended by another user.

It will only work for current firmware release 02.33.03.00_Generic_002.072_000. Just a temp fix until Mr Woods can update his:

Code: Select all

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/qiksoft/sierra-wireless-modems/master/autoflash-mod-7455.sh && sudo bash autoflash-mod-7455.sh
Longreen

Post by Longreen »

Thank You Terryjet !!!!

This worked and the EM7455 is now flashed to generic firmware

Back in WIndows 10 its now listed as Generic EM7455 under Network cards and has 2 COM ports as SNapdragon under Com ports (in Device Manager)

However when i look under network connections it does identify my Carrier in Sweden (Telia) and I have inserted my SIM card (which works if i insert it into any of my tablets or phones) but it says "No Service" in the WIndows Tray Icon status.

Should i install any Generic Win10 drivers from Sierra ? will this enable the modem to get connection with my carrier ?

Or what is needed for it to connect to the LTE network at my carrier under Win10 ?

Much appreciated all Your help

Thank You again
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

Longreen wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:07 pm Thank You Terryjet !!!!

This worked and the EM7455 is now flashed to generic firmware

Back in WIndows 10 its now listed as Generic EM7455 under Network cards and has 2 COM ports as SNapdragon under Com ports (in Device Manager)

However when i look under network connections it does identify my Carrier in Sweden (Telia) and I have inserted my SIM card (which works if i insert it into any of my tablets or phones) but it says "No Service" in the WIndows Tray Icon status.

Should i install any Generic Win10 drivers from Sierra ? will this enable the modem to get connection with my carrier ?

Or what is needed for it to connect to the LTE network at my carrier under Win10 ?

Much appreciated all Your help

Thank You again
I have always had issues with Windows 10 + Sierra Wireless cards and spent time banging my head on desk. Makes me want to drink too much whiskey :) Seriously, I have nothing but heartache with SW cards and Win 10. Seems windows wants to decide what is best...

I had some luck using an old laptop running Win10 and the GenericDriverSetup_4836.exe. Sadly the old laptop finally died and not positive where the GenericDriverSetup_4836.exe is downloaded (got to be on Sierra Wireless though).

You might try the Generic Drivers. But afraid I am not much help on the subject.
Longreen

Post by Longreen »

I already tried generic drivers etc no luck.

Ok so lets say i dont use win10 for this EM7455 which is now flashed with latest generic firmware (after You helped me with the script)

What OS then can i make it work and get celullar connection ?

Is it working with Ubuntu 20.04 for example ?

and if so any tips or guides to make it work with Ubuntu and the EM7455 ?

Thanks
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

Longreen wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:23 pm I already tried generic drivers etc no luck.

Ok so lets say i dont use win10 for this EM7455 which is now flashed with latest generic firmware (after You helped me with the script)

Thanks
Had some luck during my "experiments" with Ubuntu 18.01 desktop. Using a USB adapter, setup using this as general guide:

https://www.maketecheasier.com/setup-usb-modem-linux/

Was able to get working with AT&T in USA. I would think it is similar worldwide.

Not sure what type of USB adapter you are using, but mine just a simple one like https://amzn.to/32voGsj
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

Just remembered...

Also got working with usb adapter and old ASUS RT-N56U. There are many routers out there that can take a USB modem :)

Something to keep in mind as backup plan...
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

Longreen wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:23 pm I already tried generic drivers etc no luck.

Thanks
Curious if you ever got anywhere on this?
Longreen

Post by Longreen »

Hello Terry and thank You again for your kind help !

I will try to look at Linux this weekend.

But have to say I never thought getting LTE to work on an SBC would be this complicated or riddled with unknowns.

Still dont understand why its so hard to get it working under Win 10
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

Longreen wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:00 pm Hello Terry and thank You again for your kind help !

I will try to look at Linux this weekend.

But have to say I never thought getting LTE to work on an SBC would be this complicated or riddled with unknowns.

Still dont understand why its so hard to get it working under Win 10
No worries, hope you get it working!

I am older. SBC = "single board controller" in my world. Not sure about yours...

It will work on Windows 10, never said it would not:) Just saying it is very difficult and has caused me many issues. I have disabled many auto config rules (hours of searching on the net) on Win 10 and be damned every other update, Win 10 resets them to default which destroys the modem settings.

Windows 7 seems to work better and think so because it not near the control freak as Win 10. Microsoft has built 10 to control it's users as it sees fit. But, catch 22 as Windows 7 has reached it's end of life.

My best luck is finding routers that "Men of Modems" support and attaching USB adapter to the router USB https://ofmodemsandmen.com/routers.html

Return to “Sierra Wireless Modems”