What should the modem settings be in GoldenOrb?

Topics related to ZBT Routers
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
MattB29

What should the modem settings be in GoldenOrb?

Post by MattB29 »

I don't see a Tutorial here for modem setup other than rather basic getting started. What I have is a WG3526 with a Sierra EM7565 cat 12 modem running GoldenOrb firmware.

My question is based on I notice when I power on the router/modem it does not seem to connect to the wireless carrier until I bring up in a browser the control panel at 192.168.1.1 I also notice that if I let everything sit idle for a while and than come back my browser will not immediately serve web pages until I go again to 192.168.1.1

What are the settings that will cause the modem to connect upon boot, without user intervention, and keep the connection active. Is this a part of the connection monitoring area, and if so, what are good values for the various settings? At the moment I have it enabled with modem reconnect. Ping interval of 10 minutes and ping tracking ID address of 8.8.8.8

Any advice welcome. Thanks!
LoveMeSomeCALTE

Re: What should the modem settings be in GoldenOrb?

Post by LoveMeSomeCALTE »

I have the GoldenOrb_2020-03-01 (OpenWrt 18.06.7) rolled out and the modem experience is absolutely hands off and exactly what you want it to be
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

That is the firmware I am using. It may be I will need to reflash it. I did a complete reset of the Chinese supplied firmware by holding the reset button as detailed here on the Forums Tutorial and than installed the GoldenOrb.

The problem may be more due to Red Pockets AT&T implementation. Certainly I am not getting as good as speed as I am getting from my other setup.
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

I do notice one interesting difference after reflashing the firmware. Before I did I could not get a speed reading from OOkla just the latency number. I had to use testmynet to have that. Now after the reflash Ookla is working normally. I will see if this bodes better for how things work. One other curious difference I see is in the connection profile APN set area. Previously it kept setting "root" as Connection user name no matter me trying to leave it blank. Whereas after the flash it now stays blank.

My speed is reasonable at 6.5mbps down and 4.3mbps up. Nothing fantastic but that may be the best I could do in my remote location.

I guess no one so far has any recommendations about the connection monitoring settings. In my LB1120 it has a 15 minute and pings 8.8.8.8 to stay up. I will attempt that on this setup if I am back to having the connection go idle.

ETA: Seems to be working better now after the reflash. it might have fixed the problem. Thanks Calte for pointing me in the right direction

Return to “ZBT Routers”