Antenna suggestion

Topics related to wireless broadband antennas
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Scrooge
Been thanked: 0

Antenna suggestion

Post by Scrooge »

Hello I am looking for an antenna recommendation for a Mofi4500 that I recently set up due to the lack of internet availability at our home due to limitation at the pole. I am currently setup on T-Mobile band locked to 71 as it seemed to work the best with the stock antennas. I am hoping to do better with signal strength and speed since it may be more of a permanent solution. Upon scanning, I also have access to band 2 and 12 in my area. Appreciate any comments as I am new to this forum and process. Thank you.
Didneywhorl

Re: Antenna suggestion

Post by Didneywhorl »

In general the highest dBi gain antenna you can afford is best. I prefer flat panel directional antennas. If you have a direct Line of Sight, Yagi style directional antennas are inexpensive and work well. If you cannot see your cell tower directly from where the antenna will mount, then Flat panel antennas and parabolic grid antennas seem to do well. They are pretty forgiving when aiming, and do better when trees and so forth are obstructing the direct sight line.
Nothing can shoot through mountains and solid structures.

Omnidirectional antennas have a place, but usually only if you truly do not want to aim an antenna. They tend to do better when spaced apart properly based on their size and specs. They also tend to be lower powered.

thewirelesshaven sells a Flat panel antenna that is 15dBi and is super popular. Two antennas for your router will allow the full capability of the modem inside using 2x2MIMO. I always recommend filling out all antenna ports for the modem (LTE) with matched pairs of antennas.
internot
Been thanked: 0

Post by internot »

Didneywhorl wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:38 pm thewirelesshaven sells a Flat panel antenna that is 15dBi and is super popular. Two antennas for your router will allow the full capability of the modem inside using 2x2MIMO. I always recommend filling out all antenna ports for the modem (LTE) with matched pairs of antennas.
What would happen if they paired a single directional antenna with one of the paddles that comes with the Mofi?
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

internot wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:29 pm What would happen if they paired a single directional antenna with one of the paddles that comes with the Mofi?
Hello,
In my past experiments with one antenna instead of two basically got about half of the potential speeds. About 40% to 60% of what your true potential is. Don't recommend doing this but if you do make sure you hook it to the antenna labeled main.

Return to “Cellular Antennas”