How Tmobile screwed us over and moving to Teltik didn't really help. MAYBE Verizon saves us?

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
LoveMeSomeCALTE

How Tmobile screwed us over and moving to Teltik didn't really help. MAYBE Verizon saves us?

Post by LoveMeSomeCALTE »

I am going to link to this but I would like to hear from the rest of you if you noticed this too:

I am in rural California and without access to traditional internet - LTE is the only way to go without forking over hundreds of dollars a month to one specific provider and then risking getting throttled/booted after all that.

Over the last few months, I have been using Tmobile/Teltik and ATT/iPad, both with ~30Mbps speeds but recently, the good plans I have had access to on Tmobile through Teltik are going away. We are Tmobile heavy in our area because of a "ISP" drive Tmobile did in our rural area where they gave us free modems to try.

It seems like, after the merger, Tmobile is rethinking what it wants to be but it has kinda decided that provided rural USA with internet is not it.

A lot of us here used to have hotspot plans from Tmobile with the Coolpad hotspot provided by Tmobile themselves as part of a "home ISP" drive they started in late 2018. A lot of us moved to Tmobile then and that pushed some of the local mom-pop WISPs out of business. Soon after they upgraded us to another hotspot for free, saying the Coolpad was not compatible. We should have suspecting something was up then.

In early 2020, Tmobile cancelled our plans, enmasse, saying they were going to "reboot" their "home ISP" drive with "better and faster 5G" . The thing is, until their grand plans actually happen in reality, we don't have an internet connection in the meantime!

The few WISPs that remain, and are willing to service our area wants hundreds of dollars a month for a 30 Mbps line burtstable to 60 Mbps with an expectation that no single customer will consume more than 200GB/mo and a min 18 month commitment.

There's a lot of us working from home now and while 200GB/mo was understandable when we were not working from home, right now, that's unreasonable and unrealistic.

We scrambled to look for alternatives and while it was too late to go back to the WISPs we had been using for decades before, their owners and staff, with their technical chops, got us LTE modems and plans to quickly bring us up to speed.

Unfortunately, the only real data plans Tmobile has, are for phones and they have all kinds of limits in place for detecting tethering. It's a matter of time before we are shut down or we play an ever lasting cat and mouse game.

Anyways, looking at how Tmobile is going the way of ATT, I specifically would like to replace Tmobile with something else in the meantime, until atleast, things calm down a bit at Tmobile.

Which is why I am trying out Verizon. More posts to follow.
Didneywhorl

Re: How Tmobile screwed us over and moving to Teltik didn't really help. MAYBE Verizon saves us?

Post by Didneywhorl »

Sprint not an option? I have some customers out in the farmlands of Cali, and they love their Sprint.
LoveMeSomeCALTE

Re: How Tmobile screwed us over and moving to Teltik didn't really help. MAYBE Verizon saves us?

Post by LoveMeSomeCALTE »

Sprint has 1xEV-DO only here, not even 3G. No 4G LTE of course otherwise we would have been all over it with Calyx and what not.

However due to merger, I am thinking whether signing up for Sprint in the city a few miles away and then moving back home would allow me to roam on TMobile for cheaper!.
Mcons
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Mcons »

Didneywhorl wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:00 am Sprint not an option? I have some customers out in the farmlands of Cali, and they love their Sprint.
What plan are you signing them up on im trying to look into sprint st my location
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

I use t-mobile post pay phone plans. Far as I know Verizon is a hard one to do. If you see one for Verizon let know
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

LoveMeSomeCALTE wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:10 am Sprint has 1xEV-DO only here, not even 3G. No 4G LTE of course otherwise we would have been all over it with Calyx and what not.
You don't even have a tower within 15 miles you could point a directional at? I don't remember your topology from previous posts.
LoveMeSomeCALTE wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:10 am However due to merger, I am thinking whether signing up for Sprint in the city a few miles away and then moving back home would allow me to roam on TMobile for cheaper!.
I've heard of direct official Sprint phone plans already getting on Tmo bands. But the MVNO plans dont seem to be allowed just yet.

Return to “Internet Service Providers”