PagePlus+Jetpack

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
necor23
Been thanked: 0

PagePlus+Jetpack

Post by necor23 »

Hey guys I have been lurking for a bit and trying to figure out the best solution for me.
I am on the road alot and tethering to my sprint phone on SWAC just wasnt covering it.
I bought a PagePlus account and a JetPack 7730L and activated it with an old Verizon iphone.
I swapped the sim and it seems to be working well. I just wanted to ask if anyone had any hiccups with this setup with Jetpack? or is there another router that would be better for this situation?

Thanks
BillA

Re: PagePlus+Jetpack

Post by BillA »

There seems to be a 200GB limit/month after which is slows down till your next billing cycle starts. Turns out that it's not PagePlus which puts the limit on, but Verizon themselves limit all prepaid accounts. So just a heads up if you go over, it could come to a crawl. There is a workaround to get the high speed data back without having to wait. Also YouTube and other video is throttled at 480p, and can only be disabled at the time of activation.
necor23

Post by necor23 »

BillA wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:06 am There seems to be a 200GB limit/month after which is slows down till your next billing cycle starts. Turns out that it's not PagePlus which puts the limit on, but Verizon themselves limit all prepaid accounts. So just a heads up if you go over, it could come to a crawl. There is a workaround to get the high speed data back without having to wait. Also YouTube and other video is throttled at 480p, and can only be disabled at the time of activation.
Thanks Bill for getting back to me, Is there any other Carriers/plans you would recommend? Also If I wanted to do another PagePlus account how could I get rid of throttling and 480p?
BillA

Post by BillA »

necor23 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:04 am Thanks Bill for getting back to me, Is there any other Carriers/plans you would recommend? Also If I wanted to do another PagePlus account how could I get rid of throttling and 480p?

I can turn it off through my dealer account, but only at the time of new activations, can't be done on existing lines.
As of now, looks like all Verizon based prepaid resellers have a 200GB limit on high speed data, only ATT and Tmobile have truly unlimited plans. Here's a comprehensive list of prepaid carriers > https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=5790#p5790
LoveMeSomeCALTE

Post by LoveMeSomeCALTE »

BillA wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:54 am I can turn it off through my dealer account, but only at the time of new activations, can't be done on existing lines.
As of now, looks like all Verizon based prepaid resellers have a 200GB limit on high speed data
Including Visible?
necor23

Post by necor23 »

BillA wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:54 am I can turn it off through my dealer account, but only at the time of new activations, can't be done on existing lines.
As of now, looks like all Verizon based prepaid resellers have a 200GB limit on high speed data, only ATT and Tmobile have truly unlimited plans. Here's a comprehensive list of prepaid carriers > https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=5790#p5790
Could you PM me? I might want to start a new account to get that feature back.
LoveMeSomeCALTE

Bill, if PM's are back, I would like to try that plan too, please. (I do have some Verizon tower issues I'm struggling with)
BillA

Post by BillA »

LoveMeSomeCALTE wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:42 pm Including Visible?

Can't do it on Visible, they use their own servers on top of Verizon's to slow down all data not just video, and also introduces a pretty high latency >150ms which makes gaming, voip and other time sensitive application useless.
You can get a PagePlus (Verizon towers) or SimpleMobile (Tmobile towers) sim card from your local Walmart, Target, BestBuy, Dollar General or online from Amazon, Ebay, etc. If you'd like, I can hep you activate it remotely with video throttling disabled, just click on the contact icon below my profile pic. FYI, all Verizon based based prepaid services seem to have 200GB/month high speed data limit, then it slows down till the next billing cycle starts. The way around it is to do an early restart of the monthly cycle which will get the high speed data back immediately.
LoveMeSomeCALTE

BillA wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:01 pm Can't do it on Visible, they use their own servers on top of Verizon's to slow down all data not just video, and also introduces a pretty high latency >150ms which makes gaming, voip and other time sensitive application useless.
I think, using OpenWRT load balancing, I can route latency in sensitive traffic (regular browsing, youtube, ...) over Visible and voip/zoom over the 20GB iPad plan I have.
BillA wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:01 pm You can get a PagePlus (Verizon towers) or SimpleMobile (Tmobile towers) sim card from your local Walmart, Target, BestBuy, Dollar General or online from Amazon, Ebay, etc. If you'd like, I can hep you activate it remotely with video throttling disabled, just click on the contact icon below my profile pic
That is very generous - just to clarify, first I need to purchase one of those PagePlus or SimpleMobile SIM with $60/90 day plans from eBay and then, instead of letting the eBay seller know, I let you know instead and you activate the plan and then the eBay seller just refills the account?

OR do you too have access to those $60/90 day plans - I can email (is PM working?) some links. I would prefer working with you.

I do already have a SimpleMobile SIM card. It was from an experiment to see if a Tmobile plan can be activated on these cheap $1 SimpleMobile SIM cards (for some reason, still not understood by me, they can't)
BillA wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:01 pm FYI, all Verizon based based prepaid services seem to have 200GB/month high speed data limit, then it slows down till the next billing cycle starts. The way around it is to do an early restart of the monthly cycle which will get the high speed data back immediately.
I barely reach 120GB/month combined. Of that, ~20GB of voip/zoom traffic goes over the iPad plan.
BillA

Post by BillA »

LoveMeSomeCALTE wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:52 pm I do already have a SimpleMobile SIM card. It was from an experiment to see if a Tmobile plan can be activated on these cheap $1 SimpleMobile SIM cards (for some reason, still not understood by me, they can't)
I barely reach 120GB/month combined. Of that, ~20GB of voip/zoom traffic goes over the iPad plan.

All you need is a new non-activated sim card, click on the contact icon/bubble below my profile pic.
By the way, Visible's overall speed is so slow, that most users can't even go over 200GB/month even if they tried, which is their way of controlling usage. Some users have tried a VPN which slows down data even further but at least can bypass video restrictions. Nothing wrong with using Visible as long one can live with lower speeds and higher latency, while it's cheap, you get what you pay for.
ascalise
Has thanked: 0

Post by ascalise »

I have been running a new verizon pudp then a pageplus acct for a customer first on a 7730l. I then replaced that with an 8800l. Both were no good. Speeds on both plans were ok, ping 30-50ms download 15-40mbps and upload 5-12mbps. The problem was with these devices. The 7730L seemed to get hot and reboot itself, or just drop the data several times a day, and the 8800l would reboot itself about 20-30 times a day rendering it useless. I even tried turning wifi off on the 8800l and tethering to the router with usb. I ended up giving up on it after reading countless threads about this being a known issue with these devices. The $55 pageplus line (much cheaper than verizon pudp that I was paying for through a reseller) that I activated is just at 200gb and is still working fine. I do know that the verizon pudp saw about 500gb in the first few weeks with no issues. I have since pulled the pageplus sim and put it back in my phone. For some reason, the speeds were consistently faster around my area using the 8800l hotspot over my iphone 11, this I can not explain. I was hoping the personal hotspot would work on my iphone so I could take it way over 200gb with my pc to see what happens. I have to send this 8800l back, otherwise I would have a few days before my cycle is up. I guess I need to find an em12 modem and usb enclosure to try with this account to see if that is a bit more reliable.
ascalise

Post by ascalise »

Update, when I wrote the prior post, i was at 198gb and change. Just surpassed 200 by .02 and the service stopped entirely. It was not throttled, transfers NO data. So, pageplus is a no go for me.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Im hearing all Verizon based services are being killed at 200GB
OklahomaSooner

Post by OklahomaSooner »

Hello Bill.

I have a 7700 series MiFi jet pack on Verizon. I was going to sign up for the PP $55 plan that caps at 200 GB. Obviously I would have to put in a phone IMEI and activate....but then swap sim to my jet pack.

However, I’m wanting to disable throttling for video so I can get HD video...even tho it will burn data faster.

You said you can flip this setting but only at activation. Can you help me? I’m new here and I do not see any way to PM you. Maybe because I’m new?? Please let me know if you can help. Thanks!
OklahomaSooner

Post by OklahomaSooner »

BillA wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:01 pm Can't do it on Visible, they use their own servers on top of Verizon's to slow down all data not just video, and also introduces a pretty high latency >150ms which makes gaming, voip and other time sensitive application useless.
You can get a PagePlus (Verizon towers) or SimpleMobile (Tmobile towers) sim card from your local Walmart, Target, BestBuy, Dollar General or online from Amazon, Ebay, etc. If you'd like, I can hep you activate it remotely with video throttling disabled, just click on the contact icon below my profile pic. FYI, all Verizon based based prepaid services seem to have 200GB/month high speed data limit, then it slows down till the next billing cycle starts. The way around it is to do an early restart of the monthly cycle which will get the high speed data back immediately.
Hello Bill. I would like to go with the page plus option for a Jetpack and have video throttling disabled at activation. 200 GB would be more than enough for me.

I don’t see any icon below your name to push to PM you. Can you tell me how I contact you? Thank you very much.
BillA

Post by BillA »

OklahomaSooner wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:07 pm Hello Bill. I would like to go with the page plus option for a Jetpack and have video throttling disabled at activation. 200 GB would be more than enough for me.

I don’t see any icon below your name to push to PM you. Can you tell me how I contact you? Thank you very much.

Honestly I wouldn't recommend going with Jetpack since you have no control over the TTL settings and some other parameters, which can lead to suspension/disconnection of your account down the line. If the Jetpack has an ethernet port, I would connect it to any OpenWRT flashable router to gain full control over TTL/etc. Check if any of your routers may be flashable here > https://www.ofmodemsandmen.com/firmware16.html
Otherwise consider getting an-all-in-one OpenWRT router to ensure that the service will work perfectly.
Click on the contact icon/bubble below my profile pic, and I will send you the contact info for the hardware guru Didneywhorl/Richard.
ascalise

Post by ascalise »

Hate to dig up an old thread, but it seems like i may have the need for this again. Bill, how do I go about obtaining another pageplus line to use in one of these jetpacks? I let the one I had lapse.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

If you have AT&T service I have had luck with Jetpack MiFi and AT&T Tablet plan.
ascalise

Post by ascalise »

I have an iPad with the old, now $35 plan, but don’t want to risk losing it, I’ve done it before and it died on me when using in a negrear hotspot. Only way to get it going was too put it back in iPad. Last year I was running a 7730l Verizon jet pack with the Pageplus plan, and while the device is buggy, it was a good backup connection. I let the plan lapse and need to get it going again, I’m assuming I’ll need to start from scratch with a new sim, etc.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

I have at&t POST PAY tablet plan. Haven't heard of anyone being shut down on it
ascalise

Post by ascalise »

Yup, seems to be what everyone is doing. After taxes and fees, that would end up costing more than I pay for my old prepaid iPad plan with att. Not willing to do that, Thanks for the info, though.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Mine is under $25 per month with taxes and all.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”