WE826-GO random reboots

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
foolhardy
Been thanked: 0

WE826-GO random reboots

Post by foolhardy »

I have a one month old WE826-GO that seems to reboot itself randomly. I use LTE for internet, via MC7455, and it is not that the internet disconnects, but the router reboots. The WiFix network is not visible from PC for about two minutes and then when the WE826-GO boots back up it reconnects.

System Uptime confirms that router rebooted.

This has happened since the day it arrived. Initially, I thought the issue was the used MC7455 that I purchased. I've since returned that MC7455 and purchased a new one and the problem persists after installing the new one.
Sometimes it will work fine for hours before rebooting itself; sometimes 10 minutes.

Firmware Version: GoldenOrb_2020-03-07
Kernel Version: 4.14.167

I have this issue using the stock 12V 2A PSU as well as using a 12V 3A PSU.

Are random reboots a known issue and how should I address it?

Thank you for your input.
Didneywhorl

Re: WE826-GO random reboots

Post by Didneywhorl »

Not a known issue I've experienced. Where did you purchase it?

You may want to flash the firmware fresh from the firmware recovery / boot loader method. I like to load it 2 more times after this from the web UI as well, before I even set any settings in place.

https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?t=5
foolhardy

Post by foolhardy »

I purchased it from The Wireless Haven about a month ago.

I have successfully updated firmware to GoldenOrb_2020-05-16 and the reboots persist.
BillA

Post by BillA »

foolhardy wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:51 am I purchased it from The Wireless Haven about a month ago.

I have successfully updated firmware to GoldenOrb_2020-05-16 and the reboots persist.

There are a couple of possibilities for the rebooting.
The most common is an under powered router due to a weak or failing power adapter, so try a new one with at least 2Amps.
A less common cause could be that your have Connection Monitoring enabled (under Modem > Connection Profile > Default Profile) or Reboot enabled (under Services > Scheduled Reboot or Services > The Wireless Haven Ping Test > set it to Enabled). Make sure they are both turned off.
foolhardy

Post by foolhardy »

I confirmed that Connection Monitoring, Scheduled Reboot, and Pint Test are all disabled.

BillA

Post by BillA »

foolhardy wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:18 pm I confirmed that Connection Monitoring, Scheduled Reboot, and Pint Test are all disabled.

In that case, try another 2amp or higher power adapter to eliminate that possibility.
foolhardy

Post by foolhardy »

I'm currently using a 12V 3A PSU, but per your suggestion I will try a second upgraded PSU.
foolhardy

Post by foolhardy »

I've tried a new 3.5A PSU and reboots persist.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

This is the third PSU.
56387f

Post by 56387f »

foolhardy wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:40 pm I have a one month old WE826-GO that seems to reboot itself randomly. I use LTE for internet, via MC7455, and it is not that the internet disconnects, but the router reboots. The WiFix network is not visible from PC for about two minutes and then when the WE826-GO boots back up it reconnects.

System Uptime confirms that router rebooted.
This is important to figure out what causes the reboot /crash (if there is any) - the hardware or software.

>>A less common cause could be that your have Connection Monitoring enabled (under Modem > Connection Profile > >>Default Profile) or Reboot enabled (under Services > Scheduled Reboot or Services > The Wireless Haven Ping Test > set it to Enabled).

This the great hint, as I understand you have checked and the answer is "No, the router does not reboot because it is a scheduled reboot".

I wonder about the following:

a) how random are those reboots?

b) are we talking about reboots or reboots and shutdowns (i.e. the router does not come back to life automatically)?

c) if you have a chance to watch the reboot process (for example you can run InternetConnectivityMonitor
(does not require installation but needs a certain version of Java), it pings up to 2 dif. websites and if the connection is lost it will immediately notify you (voice))) to see how it happens i.e. is it clean reboot or just a reboot;

If the reboot is caused by a software crash then this link should help:
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/crashlog-re ... ps/19731/3

It seems to be for a different CPU but it is still OpenWrt therefore it would be interesting what are the last lines in the log before the router reboots.
BillA

Post by BillA »

foolhardy wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:50 pm I've tried a new 3.5A PSU and reboots persist.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

This is the third PSU.

It wouldn't hurt to reflash it from the bootloader menu, to eliminate any firmware/configuration issue.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=6007#p6007
foolhardy

Post by foolhardy »

56387f wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:57 pm a) how random are those reboots?

b) are we talking about reboots or reboots and shutdowns (i.e. the router does not come back to life automatically)?

c) if you have a chance to watch the reboot process (for example you can run InternetConnectivityMonitor
a)The period the router runs correctly varies between 4 minutes and 4 hours.

b) Indeed, the router reboots and comes back up by itself. System uptime (in the router ui) resets after every reboot.

c) I made a batch script to netsh the router (to check router connection) and ping google, every second, and log failures. That tool you supplied would have saved me some scripting time. :roll:

Return to “General and Unclassified”