Firmware and living a little wild

Topics related to OpenWRT, LEDE, GoldenOrb, Linux and other firmware
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
swagr

Firmware and living a little wild

Post by swagr »

I’m done pulling my Gary out with a firmware base by a company that sees nothing wrong with telnet root access being open.

I have WRE826-T2 and want to install GO over this factory firmware. I only have the router and a mobile iPhone and just squired a chrome book. What none of these things has is an Ethernet port.

The company I bought this from sacred to have me try to update their firmware which I did. Hi ever, when in the boot loader, I don’t think WiFi comes up so I have no way to interact.

Is this current in that I need Ethernet lan or am I doing the 10 second dance wrong?
Viper67857

Re: Firmware and living a little wild

Post by Viper67857 »

Do you have any other router laying around that you could connect to that one? Wifi to the 2nd router, ethernet between the two.
swagr

Post by swagr »

I do. Interesting idea. This is going to be fun :-) thanks for sparking this idea good thinking.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Get a usb to ethernet adapter off amazon, chrome book has usb, no?
swagr

Post by swagr »

The Chromebook has usb but I hate the Chromebook for the hardware and find the trackpad so non-useable I’ll be getting a MacBook like I’m used to. The Chromebook cane about because of the pandemic. My laptop was stolen. I was ordering a replacement in a few days. I find myself in a WalMart listening to the computer guy talking about how of 40+ display laptop’s, tablets, smartphones, etc., in the entire store only ONE laptop remained.

This was when toilet paper and paper towels were scarce, so to were certain other items apparently. The one remaining; an Asus Chrombook Intel 4GB 15” that was $99.00 off for $249.00. I bought it then and there, not that there were any internal changes possible. I had no idea if shipments were happening, driving, etc. To play it safe I wanted more than a smartphone as my only computing device. I didn’t even consider Ethernet, but coming from the Apple camp, I would have expected there to be a missing Ethernet port.

If I knew it to be rock solid reliable and valuable I think I would actually get a Ethernet adapter for iPhone like the one from Red Park, as it has more potential to be useful to me. I wonder if I get a Thunderbolt to Ethernet from Apple for a future MacBook and also a USB C to thunderbolt adapter allowing use on the Chromebook, could it work.

I’ll order a plain adapter nice to get safe. Going to try the dual router regardless.

Thanks.

Return to “Firmware”