WE826 and issues with factory firmware

Topics related to OpenWRT, LEDE, GoldenOrb, Linux and other firmware
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
swagr

WE826 and issues with factory firmware

Post by swagr »

I have the WTE826T2 which shipped to me with an old firmware and has been referred to here as the manufacturers firmware. Blue in color, logs in with password only. Is actually WRT but heavily modified.

If I nuke this FW for the Golden Orb here I will no longer get support from WiFiX.com. Im not entirely certain how valuable support is as so far, this is what I would call a buggy POS with security vulnerabilities set as default. Not for this place I would have been crying bad hardware and simply not known better. WiFix affords me a money back refund for 30 days, I’ve got maybe 10 left.

Do you guys feel I should just keep this and go golden orb? Current issues are log file has 2019 and 2020 dates and is sorted on random making it impossible to see latest log stamps in order. The ones I do see are the router rebooting up to a few hundred times in under 5 minutes. In 10 days of trying to have uptime its never beat a couple hours.

I can’t enter in AT commands and the logging it does have is very limited. My apn settings are:
[wwan0]
apn = broadband
country = US
isp = AT
onboot = yes
proto = qmi
wwan_first = yes

I am getting the below error non stop now. Reboot, right to this error. I don’t think I’m even given an IP, it has a strange internet connection. Not fully dead but mostly. Never seen I link down behave this way.

[06-26_19:01:28:185] requestRegistrationState2 MCC: 310, MNC: 410, PS: Attached, DataCap: LTE

Is that a message from AT&T stating “hey, your over your data cap!” If it is, I’m not sure what to do. I bought a grandfathered tablet unlimited account and the SIM card guy says he has no idea what to do to help me. If it’s not data overage, what might I do to correct it?

How much does the connection of the cellular radio matter to down and upload speeds? Can one calculate their theoretical max up/down assuming no load based on some lesser than 100% radio link? For example,, 50% radio link and 50 down 50 up at 100% link do I just double? Or is it non linear or completely non-correlatable?.

I have the old Jenky antennae’s and the chipset that Maher WiFi garbage. I’ll pop a good MIMI WIFI router in place abs just use this as my WAN Internet eventually. Given the antennae I currently have can someone explain to me how to best point them if I know where the tower is? Are the round poles Omni directional and tx/rx in a donut pattern around the poles? What us the scale?or are they maybe only 240 degrees of tx/rx I would love to jeer. How to set antennae’s up.
Didneywhorl

Re: WE826 and issues with factory firmware

Post by Didneywhorl »

We'll start with the firmware. On the bottom of the UI pages it states the firmware version. Can you paste it here? Also this forum has the latest versions of the firmware. There may be an issue with something simple, that reflashing it may fix.

Where are you getting the APN and other setting info from? How are you setting it? These routers only need the APN entered and maybe the system time syncc'd, to get the modem to connect. Sometimes you need to set some TTL changes to the iptables, the rest is security and preferred features to setup.

Also you never said what modem you placed inside. Which modem did you get for it?
swagr

Post by swagr »

I emailed support, it’s KUWFI, I typed it Incorrectly in my initial post. Among many questions one was two part, what us the reason there is an sshd listening on 2222, as well as a cloud gateway that is preconfigured to log into this router from the public outside IP space. It’s enabled, and a password is set. I noticed it because I had two users logged into my to my router. I bet that password is the same in all firmware’s.

The reply?
port 2222. you want to use Port forwarding?
I think I may just wavy to go to Golden orb and stop wasting my time on manufacturer.

Product model: WE826-T2 IP address: 192.168.1.1
System version: 19.1101(2019-11-01 23:35:31) System working mode: Router

The modem is a cat 6 Quectel EP06

APN was given to me verbally from the SIM card supplier and I searched it out on google. But regardless of that in the web admin where I select connection method to QMI or allow it to auto determine QMI is correct, then APN, Country, Disking Mode, and ISP are pre-populated.

This router also does some strange stuff with setting up of static routes. Sometimes 2 others 3. This is one area of networking I don’t at all grasp.

Thanks so much!
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Huh. I've never messed with the Ku firmware. How did you find the Hacks site, btw?

Honestly, from all I've read from your posts on this Ku unit, I would try to get my money back and just put one together myself, one with the Qualcomm WiFi chip in it. Then add any modem you want up to a cat12 modem.

That or say to heck with it and load up the GoldenOrb based WiFiX firmware, or straight r00ter, then and be done with that janky firmware from Ku
swagr

Post by swagr »

I have wanted to but I need something and no one knows when this site will be back up so I can order.

Is the hardware that borked? I mean yes we all know WiFi is junk and I suppose for $30 or so I can replace the case. Is there anything I need to know about the modem I use now? I’ll keep the modem.

Then just antennae? I may go a different board as I now need your this gear up on a pole outside so things changed a bit.

I found this site by google searching a specific error string and the 826T2 model name. It’s pretty saturated in these sites.

Something is up with the future. Header steaming in from pho but still posts.
swagr

Post by swagr »

Look what i can do after a ip range scan looking for the Ku admin headers.

telnet 23
Connection success
[2J[;H[0;0HWelcome to MQWrt@WE826-T2 [192.168.1.1]
login:
admin
password:
admin

root:~#

I can now issue AT commands lol
--
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

The site is selling through a facebook shop temporarily.

The hardware is generally ok, I'm just guessing that Ku firmware is jank.

This forum has been going through a server move I think. I'm guessing we are seeing the pains of doing so.

AT commands, nice!

That modem, the EP06A is a good modem. I like the Quectels.
walrusmcd
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by walrusmcd »

Did you ever get this modem + firmware working out of the box? I also just received a WE826 with that software, and hit the same issues with AT&T that you did.

any solution?
swagr

Post by swagr »

walrusmcd wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:39 am Did you ever get this modem + firmware working out of the box? I also just received a WE826 with that software, and hit the same issues with AT&T that you did.

any solution?
Sort of. I think I must have more than a month into this. The manufacturer will only take a return if the kidneys broken. They only consider a broken router to be bricked. Otherwise it’s working, it’s a software issue, and it’s your problem. Because they can get one router working in their software that applies to all. It works as far as they are concerned. That there is a sshd running by default with default hashed root password if admin in root of the routers file system. Because they have had no issues with root ssh exploits then no one else will either. Their logic has had me so frustrated I had to bring out the big guns. This only lasted in one email before I was frustrated again.

Threaten to post a detailed but honest and accurate review of this router on the Amazon product page. For some reason only a 100% perfect amazon product review page is acceptable.

Here is where I’m at:
Signal strength is imperative to be above 60% but I’d try to get 80% or better. With the Quactel modem Dialing Mode is QMI Network Selection is Auto. That’s it. With those two settings and no other changes it should boot up and get an IP. If not a bad SIM it improperly seated SIM has shown to be the trouble more often than not.

Of course, this is garbage. It reboots every couple hours. Support says that’s ok but also doesn’t know what locks up means. They have one firmware update. It took me two weeks if back and forth to get them to understand that I don’t have Ethernet ports on my hardware so how can I update the firmware. My usb to Ethernet adapter should arrive by Friday. Once they found out that indeed, I can’t get Wi-Fi to work if booted into the recovery mode.

The second the usb to Ethernet adapter arrived in getting golden orb on it. I have got speeds of 70Mb/s as the top end. Nowhere near the 150 or 300 technically possible but I’m using sub par antennae, terrible location, less than ideal. I’ll get there.

Get the firmware updated to The Wireless Haven and don’t look back. Post a honest review on Amazon
wdwilson99

Post by wdwilson99 »

I just bricked my KuWfi we-826 router from Amazon. It’s going back. It was running, briefly on a Cricket data only sim plan. Running Speedtest.net bricked it or it decided to just fail right then. I could never get an answer from them on whether you could load standard OpenWrt on it. The problem is, I can’t seem to find a store in the US that sells stock ZBT we-826. I posted on another thread before I found this one.
swagr

Post by swagr »

I would be willing to bet it is not bricked. What makes you suspect it is? If you places that sell these in the United States on ebay. Support in China with a WE826T2 is absolutely abysmal. It’s comical it’s so bad. I have an open SS HD port on the thing with a hard to put a password in the config file that shipped out everything in person they sent it to you and they don’t seem to care in the slightest.
swagr

Post by swagr »

Here’s a few I found in eBay as buy it now with a local listing. Not sure where you are geographically.

Already has openWRT I installed in New York.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133472138369

Here is a Mofi that is a little grandiose in its standing and is in Massachusetts.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264825399441

And this is New Jersey but it looks like he has other stuff too:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/114328859344

Keep in mind the great folks at Kuwfi won’t admit the thing is borked all. I too could not get an answer if it would take a new firmware. It took a week to confirm that when booted into the boot loader Wi-Fi would not be up and I had to use a hard wired Ethernet connection. They also refuse to admit the PSU it ships with is underpowered which may be why you think yours is bricked. And they think Wi-Fi is more than adequate. They think the antennae are better than the Cisco ones everyone else has moved toward. And mine reboots every couple hours with 7 hours uptime bring snout as good as I have seen it.

I’m sure you can com one of the sellers to next day air. You can swap out the modem if the carrier is not correct for you. How come you don’t order one from this site or are they still not shipping.

Hope you have success I’m getting this all sorted.
wdwilson99

Post by wdwilson99 »

I just want to follow up, I returned this router and replaced it with a gl.inet x750 from Amazon. It appears that The Wireless Haven and the Facebook replacement store are still down. I would much prefer to buy from here., but that’s not possible. Thanks for the eBay links, I did a search on eBay before but was wary of the sellers.. I got the gl.inet running easily and it’s been on for 24 hours so far. Using it for this post on cricket’s data plan right now.

I will follow up in another post, but am not sure this is the best solution.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

wdwilson99 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:39 pm I just bricked my KuWfi we-826 router from Amazon. It’s going back. It was running, briefly on a Cricket data only sim plan. Running Speedtest.net bricked it or it decided to just fail right then. I could never get an answer from them on whether you could load standard OpenWrt on it. The problem is, I can’t seem to find a store in the US that sells stock ZBT we-826. I posted on another thread before I found this one.
Hopefully the thewirelesshaven.com store will open very soon. They are working hard to come back up.
werouterguy

Post by werouterguy »

I have a WiFiX-NEXQ6GO and having problems trying to get connected. I see a mention of wifix.com but when I try that site ti goes to wifirst.com . Is this wifix still valid?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

WiFiX is thewirelesshaven.com firmware. I believe a new firmware update is coming soon.

I think rooter firmware will work on it. Rooter firmware for the We826Q

Return to “Firmware”