MC400LP6 in ASUS AC68U Router

Sierra Wireless AirPrime Modem Card Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
mvhammo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

MC400LP6 in ASUS AC68U Router

Post by mvhammo »

Hi all - new around here but was wondering if someone has been through this before. I just got a Cradlepoint MC400LP6 in to replace my LB1120 Netgear modem. I was thinking it would essentially be plug and play since the AC68U supports USB modems natively but it is evidently not. Has anyone done this before successfully? I remember reading a comment where someone was running a MC400 behind a Linksys router so I feel like I must be missing something.
Didneywhorl

Re: MC400LP6 in ASUS AC68U Router

Post by Didneywhorl »

It all comes down to compatability. Your host device needs to have the drivers for the usb modem in order to use it. You might have success messaging the ASUS support about it.

There may be workarounds. I myself dont have experience with your cradlepoint or the asus
Viper67857

Post by Viper67857 »

Did you go into the usb programs in the router config and enable the USB modem? I know the ac68u works with ZTE hotspots and some sierra/quectel modems in USB enclosures, but I've no experience with cradlepoints. They seem a bit pricey for low-cat modems.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Viper67857 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:01 am Did you go into the usb programs in the router config and enable the USB modem? I know the ac68u works with ZTE hotspots and some sierra/quectel modems in USB enclosures, but I've no experience with cradlepoints. They seem a bit pricey for low-cat modems.
Your paying for their autoconfig capability and enterprise level software and support. Most diy types dont need it though.
mvhammo

Post by mvhammo »

Viper67857 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:01 am Did you go into the usb programs in the router config and enable the USB modem? I know the ac68u works with ZTE hotspots and some sierra/quectel modems in USB enclosures, but I've no experience with cradlepoints. They seem a bit pricey for low-cat modems.
Yeah, I enabled the USB modem in the router config (running AsusWRT Merlin) but it still doesn't seem to be working. Is there a way to check what the modem is doing? While I agree that the Cradlepoint products are somewhat overpriced, I was able to snag the MC400LP6 for 125 bucks so I couldn't pass it up.
mvhammo

Post by mvhammo »

So - I changed the mode of the modem to 1009 (MBIM) and voila - the modem is now plug and play with the router. However - I am getting wicked slow speeds (1 to 2 mbps down) compared to 15mbps I was getting with the LB1120. Still searching how to use AT commands while the modem is attached to the router to get an idea what band I am connected to and get an overall idea what the modem is doing.
mvhammo

Post by mvhammo »

Ended up just connecting the modem back to my Windows 7 laptop. Running AT!GSTATUS? in Huawei Terminal returns the following information. I'm concerned that it is in system mode WCDMA instead of LTE. Does this mean anything?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Viper67857

Post by Viper67857 »

There should be an AT command to force it to 4g only, though Idk what it would be for a cradlepoint.

As for sending AT commands through the Asus, it's doable, but is a bit of a PITA. You have to ssh into the router and run comgt. There's a script for comgt to run custom AT commands but it's broken so it has to be edited to work, and the main file system is read-only so you have to copy it to /jffs to be able to edit it. I'll have to dig back into my router later to find the script again and what I had to edit...
mvhammo

Post by mvhammo »

Thanks Viper. The modem is not connecting to ATT while connected to the Asus but I presume it has something to do with the firmware/APN that is being loaded. I ran an AT command that showed it was loading Verizon firmware as a standard. It would be more helpful to troubleshoot while connected to the ASUS because it is connecting fine in Windows after changing the APN (albeit in WCDMA mode).

As for forcing the modem into 4g mode only, would the AT command be different than for a regular MC7455? I wouldn't think it would be.
Viper67857

Post by Viper67857 »

Idk, is it an mc7455 inside of it? Wouldn't hurt to try.

Anyway, the script for sending at commands is /etc/ppp/3g/command. The line that needs changed says "send $x" which needs to read "send $c".

cp that file to /jffs, make the edits with nano, then run

Code: Select all

comgt -d /dev/ttyUSB3 -s /jffs/command
You may need to change the USB3 to match whatever port your router is assigning the modem. I also made a file called 'at' in the jffs folder with just the above command line so that whenever I ssh in, all I have to type is /jffs/at and I'm in.
mvhammo

Post by mvhammo »

Yeah - it is a MC7455 inside.

Thanks for the instructions for getting AT up and running on the router. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Ill also review AT commands to see what else I can try. I tried locking bands/selrat to LTE only but that prevented the modem from connecting.
mvhammo

Post by mvhammo »

Just an update - I never was able to get AT commands up and running for the router but was able to get the modem up and running by taking it back to the laptop, running IMPREF, updating to generic and then inputting the APN using AT commands for both IP and IPV4V6 (using at+cgdcont=1,"IP","broadband" and at+cgdcont=1,"IPV4V6","broadband). I did all that to find out that I'm not happy with my modem or antenna setup. I need a modem that supports band 66 and preferably 3xCA with some combination of bands 2,4,12,66. My phone speed test is 50mbps or more downlink but am only able to pull 10 to 20 with the modem :( Thinking of investing in a 4x4 Mimo panel but not sure which one. Also unsure about a modem because I think getting a cat 20 modem is likely overkill for my towers. Any suggestions from anyone?
mvhammo

Post by mvhammo »

As for antennas - currently running 2 Wilson directional antennas in MIMO with 15 ft LMR240 for each run. This setup improved my dbi by around 10 (from upper 90s to lower 90s/upper 80s) but very little improvements in speed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BillA

Post by BillA »

mvhammo wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:34 pm Just an update - I never was able to get AT commands up and running for the router but was able to get the modem up and running by taking it back to the laptop, running IMPREF, updating to generic and then inputting the APN using AT commands for both IP and IPV4V6 (using at+cgdcont=1,"IP","broadband" and at+cgdcont=1,"IPV4V6","broadband). I did all that to find out that I'm not happy with my modem or antenna setup. I need a modem that supports band 66 and preferably 3xCA with some combination of bands 2,4,12,66. My phone speed test is 50mbps or more downlink but am only able to pull 10 to 20 with the modem :( Thinking of investing in a 4x4 Mimo panel but not sure which one. Also unsure about a modem because I think getting a cat 20 modem is likely overkill for my towers. Any suggestions from anyone?

Pyonting has some great high gain 2xMIMO antennas, and they are currently working on an all-in-one 4xMIMO unit.
Till the 4xMIMO becomes available, you'll need two 2xMIMO's for your EM20. It comes with standard SMA connectors, so no adapter is needed.
https://www.amazon.com/Poynting-XPOL-2- ... B0883HFKKJ

On a side note, when sending both AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","broadband" and AT+CGDCONT=1,"IPV4V6","broadband" one after the other, only the last one will take affect since it's overwriting the same APN slot. In this case IPV4V6 will be active.

Return to “Sierra Wireless Modems”