Looking for mount recommendations

Questions and Support related to Antennas & Cables
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related issues PRIOR to posting for assistance.
LTEFix0404
Been thanked: 0

Looking for mount recommendations

Post by LTEFix0404 »

Could someone please recommend a mount to me? I was surprised how heavy my boxes would be, but this Wilson mount was pretty awful. I thought the plate the would be made out of steel, but it’s aluminum and you can see it’s bending under weight in my janky setup.

Ideally I wanted to have both boxes on the same pole, but now I’m thinking two J mounts mounted to the side of the house. Or would I need to mount on roof instead?

Viper67857

Re: Looking for mount recommendations

Post by Viper67857 »

Try to find one of the older DirecTV ka/ku mounts... They're a 2" J mount with support arms going out the sides. If you get 2 lag bolts through the main foot and 2 more in each support arm directly into the ends of the rafters then it will support your setup even with the eave mounting and an extension pole dropped inside the main pole.

I used to install those mounts for a living.. When properly done I could literally hang from them without anything budging. The wind load on the pre-slimline dishes required a lot of stability.

Some of the older, larger, Hughesnet/Wildblue/Starband dishes probably had similar mounts. You might find them on ebay or local thrift stores/flea markets.
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

@Viper67857 is giving you great advice. That is what we do when providing professional installations.

The mount we use is this one https://amzn.to/3i8spkC

Has everything needed to install (except the manual labor and tools).
LTEFix0404
Been thanked: 0

Post by LTEFix0404 »

Thank you for the recommendation. I ended up using those support arms, but I used my own 2” pole since I preferred my bottom enclosure to be aligned vertically and immediately under the top enclosure, and since my eave is not long enough to accommodate a J mount bracket or even an under-eave mount bracket. It just seemed more appropriate to use a straight pole since I’m mounting one enclosure on top of another. But I hope it is sturdy enough with my own pole and that flimsy Wilson bracket on my eave... it sure feels like it’s not going to budge though. Here is an updated picture:

For future readers, the support arms are compatible only with a 2” pole. I had to swap my original one because it was only 1.5”. Mine is 3 feet long.
Viper67857

Post by Viper67857 »

Nice innovation... Looks sturdy
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Looks good!

Return to “Questions and Support”