EM7455 antenna port connection problem

Topics related to wireless broadband antennas
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Dazed-and-Confused

EM7455 antenna port connection problem

Post by Dazed-and-Confused »

I am having a great deal of trouble trying to connect an antenna cable to the AUX port of an EM7455.

These things are tiny and the damn thing just refuses to attach properly. I am so frustrated with it I was considering gluing or soldering the antenna cable into place. But I will sleep on it and try again tomorrow.

Would gluing or soldering be regarded as out of the question or is it okay as a last resort?

The MAIN antenna attached in around twenty seconds.
Dazed-and-Confused

Re: EM7455 antenna port connection problem

Post by Dazed-and-Confused »

Still can't get the AUX antenna on. Why are they so damn small? Can soldering be an acceptable solution? Though that won't be easy either. I thought the MC7455 was difficult until I tried the EM7455.
terryjett

Re: EM7455 antenna port connection problem

Post by terryjett »

Pretty small connectors. They must be tight and no, I would not recommend gluing them. Soldering might well damaging beyond repair (heck, glue might do the same). Totally bad idea. But I have been frustrated too :)

My eyes suck. I have to use a high powered lighted desk magnifier (exact model https://amzn.to/3dEvlC4) to see those tiny connectors. First thing I do is make sure the connector ports on modem are not damaged in any way. They easily get bent when improper techniques are used. If bent in any way, chances are you will have to repair or get a new card.

I have also seen the cables get damaged. Look at connector closely and make sure the tiny outter copper connectors are not bent over which can prevent proper seating. This is also number one cause of bent ports on the modem card...

I always start with modem on a thin rubber mat to prevent it sliding around. Adjust my magnifier for bright close up and can clearly see the tiny port. Should be near perfect round and center stud not damaged.
9pJ6Lho[1].jpg
My tool of choice to push the connectors on is a wooden shisakabob stick (Jim Helms showed in tutorial about assembling router). Flatten the sharp end a little bit and use it to apply gentle but steady pressure on top of connector until it snaps in place. Takes a little practice to get the feel.

I might also suggest ordering some new cables and try the new one. Pain for me to get them on sometimes so understand your frustration.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Cellular Antennas”