tmobile network fix

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
Loorurban2
Has thanked: 0

tmobile network fix

Post by Loorurban2 »

I was looking through a number of threads and I didn't want to hijack them so I decided to try a new one. I recently setup up a modem (thanks didleywhorl *sorry for the misspell) using a em20 modem usb enclosure to wg3526 and it started out great. I am now being throttled I think because on one of the forums billa put a link to speedtest connection as below:

https://www.bing.com/widget/t/speedtest

The speeds are all over the place but im getting 20-50mbps down and 4-5 mbps up. When I use the internet or any other network I get about .5 mbps down and similar upload. I'm currtenly set at ttl64 with the bing speed test setup. NEED Help as this is my only internet source to work from as my phone is out of hotspot.
gscheb

Re: tmobile network fix

Post by gscheb »

Hello,
Try this,
Run speed test on https://www.speedtest.net/ 3 times or so.
Then this speed test on https://fast.com/ 3 times or so.
Let us know if those speeds test run differently.
If the speedtest.net always runs way faster than the fast.com this means your issue is HD streaming abilities.
Fast.com test video ability for Netflix and what not.
If this is your issue it an be fixed with plan changes.
Loorurban2

Post by Loorurban2 »

So first things first. I checked sms messages on my modem and it tells me that I have reached my hotspot limit and I will get 600 kbps down. I changed to ttl 64 and added a dns change to 8.8.8.8 on the router setting. This leads me to where I am now going from .5 mbps to 25mbps on speedtest link and 2.5mbps on fast.com. I get about 55mbps on the Ethernet port off my router
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

The TTL should be set to 64. Know someone with a MC7455 modem and uses TTL of 64 and works just fine. The only issue they had is the HD thing had to be worked out. So if you have TTL of 64 and still having issues on speedtest.net might be another issue then.
Loorurban2

Post by Loorurban2 »

So this morning I accidently powered off my router and modem and when I did that I lost all my download speed back to .6 again. if I run this I get 34 mpbs down:
https://www.bing.com/widget/t/speedtest
I tried changing the dns again but this fix didn't work this time?
Loorurban2

Post by Loorurban2 »

I forgot to mention on my work ipad I use a vpn and it gets 22 down at the moment.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Loorurban2 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:31 am my download speed back to .6 again.
On what speed test tool?
Loorurban2

Post by Loorurban2 »

not sure think its when I type speed test into google it gives drop down that says run speed test
Loorurban2

Post by Loorurban2 »

https://www.speedtest.net/
this one is giving 37 down
Loorurban2

Post by Loorurban2 »

the fast.com is .6
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

ok,
That is a HD streaming issue. Fast.com tests video capabilities. speedtest.net does not, it straight up raw data power no video test.
Fast.com is to test video for like Netflix and what not.
Do you have HD streaming on this plan, on this sim card?
Loorurban2

Post by Loorurban2 »

I did as you recommended and add HD to my plan and it is working now.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Loorurban2 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:52 pm I did as you recommended and add HD to my plan and it is working now.
All right, good to hear a success story and hopefully help someone else.
Thanks for posting back.
LoveMeSomeCALTE

Post by LoveMeSomeCALTE »

gscheb wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:54 am If the speedtest.net always runs way faster than the fast.com this means your issue is HD streaming abilities.
gscheb, this is interesting. So is Tmobile throttling outgoing connections to a block of IPs that are known to belong to Netflix?

Does Netflix run their own datacenter to be fingerprinted like that?

... or something else is at play here? (like Fast.com literally streams HD video behind the scenes, Tmobile detects and throttles that - in which case won't a VPN deter that detection in theory? (I say theory because Tmobile could cancel an account if it detects intense VPN activity) )
Loorurban2 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:23 am So first things first. I checked sms messages on my modem and it tells me that I have reached my hotspot limit and I will get 600 kbps down. I changed to ttl 64 and added a dns change to 8.8.8.8 on the router setting. This leads me to where I am now going from .5 mbps to 25mbps on speedtest link and 2.5mbps on fast.com. I get about 55mbps on the Ethernet port off my router
I don't quite understand this zone of behavior on Tmobile either. TTL != 64 definitely throttles the connection, but setting TTL = 64 still heavily deprioritizes the connection where it becomes extremely unreliable.

One moment I can be chatting as usual on Zoom and the next moment people are wondering if my house got nuked by north korea because how rapidly my connection deteriorated :roll: .
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Deprio can be avoided only by upgrading your account type. Typically the order is:
1st responders
Business accounts
Post paid accounts under their soft cap
Post paid accounts over their soft cap
Pre paid accounts under their cap
Pre paid accounts over their cap
MVNO operator accounts

I could be wrong, but thats what I've seen. There may be another type or two in that mix.

The throttles are for "hotspot data", and generally do not apply to "on phone" data.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

LoveMeSomeCALTE wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:07 pm gscheb, this is interesting. So is Tmobile throttling outgoing connections to a block of IPs that are known to belong to Netflix?

... or something else is at play here? (like Fast.com literally streams HD video behind the scenes, Tmobile detects and throttles that - in which case won't a VPN deter that detection in theory? (I say theory because Tmobile could cancel an account if it detects intense VPN activity) )

I don't quite understand this zone of behavior on Tmobile either. TTL != 64 definitely throttles the connection, but setting TTL = 64 still heavily deprioritizes the connection where it becomes extremely unreliable.

One moment I can be chatting as usual on Zoom and the next moment people are wondering if my house got nuked by north korea because how rapidly my connection deteriorated :roll: .
Honestly don't know how the carriers do it. But all of them throttle your video. Allot of them to 480p which is pretty low.
Do you have HD on your t-mobile?
Voom could be considered video after all maybe.
BillA

Post by BillA »

LoveMeSomeCALTE wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:07 pm gscheb, this is interesting. So is Tmobile throttling outgoing connections to a block of IPs that are known to belong to Netflix?

As an alternative, you could run a free or cheap proxy on your browser or router to bypasses most carrier's video throttling, and save on the monthly HD fees. I've been using this method for years and it works fine. Here more info on how to do it:
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=4706#p4706
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=5971#p5971
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=4564#p4564
LoveMeSomeCALTE

Post by LoveMeSomeCALTE »

gscheb wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:31 pm ok,
That is a HD streaming issue. Fast.com tests video capabilities. speedtest.net does not, it straight up raw data power no video test.
Fast.com is to test video for like Netflix and what not.
Do you have HD streaming on this plan, on this sim card?
If someone here has these "HD streaming turned off" LTE plans (as Loorurban2 did before they enabled the option (for an additional fee?)), that they can double check by running Fast.com and getting poor results - can they rerun the test but now via a regular proxy, as Bill suggests, and confirm if Fast.com continues giving poor results?
BillA

Post by BillA »

LoveMeSomeCALTE wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:09 am If someone here has these "HD streaming turned off" LTE plans (as Loorurban2 did before they enabled the option (for an additional fee?)), that they can double check by running Fast.com and getting poor results - can they rerun the test but now via a regular proxy, as Bill suggests, and confirm if Fast.com continues giving poor results?

On Tmobile/SimpleMobile running a speed test on Netflix's Fast.com, with the proxy off I get below 2Mbps, with proxy on I get the full speed of my mobile connection >50Mbps. No VPN needed which just slows down all connection, plus it's more expensive and difficult to set up. Not sure if the proxy brand matters, but I'm using bestproxyandvpn.com

Return to “Internet Service Providers”