Putting MH4 pigtails on the Quectel EM20-G M.2 modem

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
GeraldJ
Been thanked: 0

Putting MH4 pigtails on the Quectel EM20-G M.2 modem

Post by GeraldJ »

This incredibly hard and frustrating please help with any suggestions on how to put these on ....
Dazed-and-Confused

Re: Putting MH4 pigtails on the Quectel EM20-G M.2 modem

Post by Dazed-and-Confused »

I've never had that particular modem but I use a pair of magnifying glasses and a lot of patience. I never find it easy though. It is extremely frustrating. There ought to be a device invented that will do the job. Or the process simplified by the manufacturers by using larger connectors.
GeraldJ

Post by GeraldJ »

Thank you for the reply! you are so right...it takes a lot of patience I had to put 4 on ...I got it done but there’s got to be an a easier way lol
docderwood

Post by docderwood »

Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

The tools may help, but experience and patience will win out. Tools can make the user over confident and break things. Id rather be comfortable and experience with the operation, then introduce the tool to make the operation easier and smoother. Its not always a great idea to teach a procedure with a specialized tool unless the student has done the procedure without the tools first.
steveg

Post by steveg »

They definitely take A LOT of patience. It sometimes takes me a good 15-20 minutes to get them on. Other times they go on very quickly. Kind of a luck of the draw getting them on but I do have a small magnifying glass which helps to at least get them lined up before applying pressure. Always afraid I'm going to bend/break one and makes me want to start drinking again 😊.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

LoL! Good times
scott83
Has thanked: 0

Post by scott83 »

I gave up with the ones that came with the USB3.0 To NGFF M.2 Key B Adapter Enclosure With SIM Card Slot on The Wireless Haven. It came with two MHF4 pigtails so I bought 2 more from NetSolution.Shop. Those clicked into place on nearly the first try. I ended up spending a little over 30 minutes trying to connect the pigtails that came with it and had no success. Ultimately I just bought two more and waited the couple days for them to get here. They came today and fortunately clicked right into place. Much easier than messing around with the ones that it came with.

So, if anyone is having a ton of trouble, considering just buying some new ones...in my experience they seem to attach much easier.
Jon_T

Post by Jon_T »

scott83 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:43 pm I gave up with the ones that came with the USB3.0 To NGFF M.2 Key B Adapter Enclosure With SIM Card Slot on The Wireless Haven. It came with two MHF4 pigtails so I bought 2 more from NetSolution.Shop. Those clicked into place on nearly the first try. I ended up spending a little over 30 minutes trying to connect the pigtails that came with it and had no success. Ultimately I just bought two more and waited the couple days for them to get here. They came today and fortunately clicked right into place. Much easier than messing around with the ones that it came with.

So, if anyone is having a ton of trouble, considering just buying some new ones...in my experience they seem to attach much easier.
If they went on easier, I would be concerned they could also come off easier. I had a hard time putting mine on at first as well. I used a magnifying glass and found a small amount of turning and rolling helped get everything to line up properly. I applied very light pressure while doing this and then things just kind of slid in place. Spent like 20min on the first one while figuring it out, then the second one popped right on using this method.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”