What am I doing wrong?

Questions and Support related to Antennas & Cables
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related issues PRIOR to posting for assistance.
mrswrigels
Has thanked: 0

What am I doing wrong?

Post by mrswrigels »

Hi again guys,

I'm fairly new to this and I've been trying to improve my mother's cell phone signal(Sprint) in her tree-surrounded location.
She doesn't have a hot spot modem or anything like that, just her phone. The tower is about a mile away and supports bands 25 ,26 and 41. She can usually get on to 26 but in the house her phone will begin to roam on an ATT tower (and then I can't get a hold of her).

Here's my setup so far:

1 Wilson Electronics Wideband Directional Antenna 700-2700 MHz, 50 Ohm (314411).
25 feet of 50ohm KMR240 coaxial cable.
Wilson 811200 amplifier (824-894 and 1850-1990 MHz frequency bands)
SureCall Wide Band Omni-Directional Internal Ceiling Mount Dome Antenna 50ohm (698 - 2700 MHz)(For indoor)

I made sure everything was 50ohm after accidentally getting a 75ohm coax cable.
So I've got it all on my roof, running through the attic pointing at the tower to the best of my ability.
And nothing has improved with my signal in the field test. I feel like I've probably made some giant newbie mistake and don't know it :?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
d-tech
Been thanked: 0

Re: What am I doing wrong?

Post by d-tech »

This might be part of the problem: "The Wilson 811200 is a dual band (850/1900 Mhz) Direct Connection amplifier. Direct Connection amplifiers require that your cell phone or data card be directly wired to the amplifier, via a phone specific adapter (sold separately), providing maximum signal performance in low-signal areas, particularly rural and remote locations." This amplifier is not intended to be used in this type of installation. You had the right idea just the wrong type of amplifier. One such as this would fit your application: https://www.wavefarm.com/products/wilson-pro-70 but this is just an example. There are other more budget friendly options available.
mrswrigels

Post by mrswrigels »

Dang, I missed that part. Well that explains it. Thanks for the information.
Was really hoping it would work since so many of the amplifiers I see are so expensive.
Do you happen to know if any good ones for less than $100?
mrswrigels

Post by mrswrigels »

I've been trying to find a decently priced one and can only seem to find them on Wish.com and other not-so-quality driven websites.

Return to “Questions and Support”