Best AT&T Provider

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
tim829
Been thanked: 0

Best AT&T Provider

Post by tim829 »

Looking for some recommendations on the best AT&T providers. We had a new tower built not long ago that's 1.1 miles from the house so I'm looking to switch from Verizon which is SLOW due to the distance from the tower.

Ubifi was one I've looked at but I'm seeing a lot of people say they're overpriced at $99/mo. Also I don't like have they try to force you to use just their Mofi equipment. I've been looking around but I haven't confirmed yet if their SIM will work with any other hardware.

Thanks
Didneywhorl

Re: Best AT&T Provider

Post by Didneywhorl »

You asked this on another thread, but Ill leave this one too.

ATT is the best provider for ATT. ;)

The POST paid ATT ipad unlimited plan is the best deal going. I think its $20 a month.
tim829

Post by tim829 »

Didneywhorl wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:31 am You asked this on another thread, but Ill leave this one too.

ATT is the best provider for ATT. ;)

The POST paid ATT ipad unlimited plan is the best deal going. I think its $20 a month.
Well I initially responded to that other thread but figured it might be best to start my own instead.

So you are saying that I can take the SIM from that plan and put it in a custom modem that I build?

Surely there's data caps or throttling going on with a plan that cheap.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

tim829 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:38 am Well I initially responded to that other thread but figured it might be best to start my own instead.

So you are saying that I can take the SIM from that plan and put it in a custom modem that I build?

Surely there's data caps or throttling going on with a plan that cheap.
I don't know what you do with your SIM card, nor you with mine. ;)

All I know is I've not been throttled nor capped. Its a plan that might disappear some day, like the pre-paid plan, but as of today, it's there. For $20 it's worth a try. (Plus $30 activation)
tim829

Post by tim829 »

Didneywhorl wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:43 am I don't know what you do with your SIM card, nor you with mine. ;)

All I know is I've not been throttled nor capped. Its a plan that might disappear some day, like the pre-paid plan, but as of today, it's there. For $20 it's worth a try. (Plus $30 activation)
Where are y'all seeing these $20 plans on AT&T's website? I'm not seeing anything close to these prices on there!
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

tim829 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:55 am Where are y'all seeing these $20 plans on AT&T's website? I'm not seeing anything close to these prices on there!
Its in store only
scuba_steve999

Post by scuba_steve999 »

Didneywhorl wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:43 am I don't know what you do with your SIM card, nor you with mine. ;)

Do you need to change a TTL setting to make this work?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

I set mine to 65
fmj435

Post by fmj435 »

What does one ask for to get this plan? Just an unlimited sim card for a tablet?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Nope. You say, "I have an ipad at the house and need to get it setup on the interwebz. I had my kid send me the info, is it imei or something? I need the unlimited plan. My buddy got it for his kids. Said its $20 a month, and like $30 to activate it. Is that right? Something about ipad data only, unlimited in your bundle builder Opus thing, he said."

You gotta let em know you know its a real thing plan, but you just dont know about all that high tech stuff. You bought an ipad that can go on the 4G and you want your kids to be able to watch Youtube on long road trips and camping, etc, etc.

You, of course, NEED the imei of a legit ipad that is a newer ipad.
scuba_steve999

Post by scuba_steve999 »

There are websites that generate fake IMEI numbers. Also folks grab them off of pictures from ebay.
fmj435

Post by fmj435 »

Didneywhorl wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:40 pm Nope. You say, "I have an ipad at the house and need to get it setup on the interwebz. I had my kid send me the info, is it imei or something? I need the unlimited plan. My buddy got it for his kids. Said its $20 a month, and like $30 to activate it. Is that right? Something about ipad data only, unlimited in your bundle builder Opus thing, he said."

You gotta let em know you know its a real thing plan, but you just dont know about all that high tech stuff. You bought an ipad that can go on the 4G and you want your kids to be able to watch Youtube on long road trips and camping, etc, etc.

You, of course, NEED the imei of a legit ipad that is a newer ipad.
I happen to have a 4g Ipad, would it be easier to just bring that in or do I not want the sim installed in the ipad at any point?Also I know this isn't the correct place for this but can you recommend a modem to use with this for B66? I currently have an EM7565 I'm using with Tmobile but I'd like to order another one before they all go out of stock. Thanks for all the help, my family and I really appreciate all the help and so far we already have better and cheaper internet that will only get better as I continue to figure all this out.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Oh, yeah. Take the ipad. Even better. Thats easiest.

Band 66 is available through a few modems. If your looking for a similar capabilty modem the Sierra EM7511 also has B14, over the EM7565.

Otherwise, I actually prefer the Quectel EM12G, or if you want more power and 2 more antennas for 4x mimo, the Quectel EM20G.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Get it done?
fmj435

Post by fmj435 »

Well I didn't get the other modem ordered before the store shut down so I figured I would wait. I have 6 lines on at&t unlimited so I'm hoping it will be easy to get a few unlimited sim cards. One question I had was is this limited to 30mbps?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

fmj435 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:22 pm Well I didn't get the other modem ordered before the store shut down so I figured I would wait. I have 6 lines on at&t unlimited so I'm hoping it will be easy to get a few unlimited sim cards. One question I had was is this limited to 30mbps?
What modems do you need again?

No they shouldnt speed limit based on account, but the cell towers themselves may manage your speeds
LoveMeSomeCALTE

Post by LoveMeSomeCALTE »

1. After taxes and fees, how much does the $20 iPad plan come to?
2. First month it's $50+ (for the $30 activation)?
3. Can anyone without any prior ATT relationship/phone lines, go to the store and get this plan?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

LoveMeSomeCALTE wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:15 pm 1. After taxes and fees, how much does the $20 iPad plan come to?
2. First month it's $50+ (for the $30 activation)?
3. Can anyone without any prior ATT relationship/phone lines, go to the store and get this plan?
1: ~$35
2: First month add $50 for activation unless you have an ATT account already, or you talk them out of it.
3: No prior, or current, account required. No phone lines required. Anyone can get it, that can pass a credit check
LoveMeSomeCALTE

Thank you. I guess having the prepaid $35 iPad SIM continue to be plugged into the iPad Pro and keeping data usage under 20GB until I figure out better plans is going to be my lucky ticket then.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

The post paid is a great way to go. The pre-paids are, as you say, better off in the ipad.
fmj435

Post by fmj435 »

I went today and it was easy as can be, they would've given me as many as I wanted with no IMEI necessary. I do have a business account there so maybe that helps but it didn't seem like it.
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

fmj435 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:13 pm I went today and it was easy as can be, they would've given me as many as I wanted with no IMEI necessary. I do have a business account there so maybe that helps but it didn't seem like it.
Have not had anyone at my local store be so generous. They frowned upon not having my device in hand. Gave me a very hard time. Maybe the difference is what location and/or having business account.

SO, how many did you buy?
fmj435

Post by fmj435 »

I had them activate two of them. I have it in an EM20 and am getting the best internet I have seen with just the stock wg3526 antennas. Only 100mbps so far but everything I do works and feels faster.
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

fmj435 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:07 pm I had them activate two of them. I have it in an EM20 and am getting the best internet I have seen with just the stock wg3526 antennas. Only 100mbps so far but everything I do works and feels faster.
That is great!

Couple of stores in my area and they are not near as friendly when not having device in hand. Maybe it is difference between common man and business man :)
timc4444
Has thanked: 0

Post by timc4444 »

I might pick up a damaged ipad for this use as my Dad's went down (still investigating) What Gen ipad am I looking for ? and can I use it in his Netgear 1120s modem ?
Bender.B.Rodriguez

Post by Bender.B.Rodriguez »

Hello, I wanted to jump in and ask a couple of questions myself and was hoping that I could get some help on this topic.

I saw that you didn't need to be a current AT&T customer, but do you need to have a valid or real iPad IMEI? I do not have an iPad currently and did not plan on purchasing one.

Would switching your TTL be all that you would need to do to keep from getting banned for violating AT&T's TOS? Or is there other firmware or configurations that need to be taken into consideration?

I also wanted to find out what would be the easiest equipment setup/configuration that I could use for a postpaid AT&T iPad SIM. I am a complete noob at LTE equipment/modems so any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I have no experience with the equipment sold by Wireless Joint, but have technical experience and am not completely useless.

Just trying to weigh my options before going with a reseller. Figured that this would be the most inexpensive method to getting unlimited AT&T LTE internet to my rural home.

Any help an guidance you could provide to a novice just trying to get AT&T internet service would be appreciated!
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Which device are you going to use?
Bender.B.Rodriguez

Post by Bender.B.Rodriguez »

Didneywhorl wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:49 am Which device are you going to use?
I don't yet have a particular device or equipment picked out. I was hoping that someone would who has gotten the postpaid plan to work could share which equipment they were using.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

WiFiX WG3526p with a Sierra Wiereless EM7565 or 7511 if you want B14 to be available, or a Quectel EM12g. Just need a mini pcie to m.2 adapter to fit the modem into the router, and a pair of mhf4 antenna pigtails 10" since the router comes with ufl style. Prob want a 2.5A power supply upgrade too. The newer modems use a lot of power.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

TTL changes for ipv4 seem to be the only needed change to keep the data looking like device data instead of hotspot data
LoveMeSomeCALTE

Didneywhorl wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:01 am TTL changes for ipv4 seem to be the only needed change to keep the data looking like device data instead of hotspot data
On TMobile yes.

On ATT it works, for now, but they are backporting what they learn from Cricket DPI into ATT.

I am expecting to see some public announcement soon and will point to our group here to that but VPN/P2P data is currently already backported and will be tagged as "hotspot" data.

For those still on ATT iPad plan using VPN/P2P to get around DPI, I will urge them to look at another network like Visible.
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

LoveMeSomeCALTE wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:14 pm On TMobile yes.

On ATT it works, for now, but they are backporting what they learn from Cricket DPI into ATT.

I am expecting to see some public announcement soon and will point to our group here to that but VPN/P2P data is currently already backported and will be tagged as "hotspot" data.

For those still on ATT iPad plan using VPN/P2P to get around DPI, I will urge them to look at another network like Visible.
Have been hearing exact same info through the reseller grapevine about ATT. Working with a few of the real resellers and they are saying "the game is about over and many will soon be looking for a new provider".
LoveMeSomeCALTE

In general expect every US provider to become brokers of LTE data. Voice/text is going LTE too.

As a result, focus on maximizing ROI on LTE investments/BW goes up.

ATT's internal metric this quarter is reaching $13/GB (not roaming which is $120/GB, crazy I know). They are going to try tune all dials to reach that.

I personally am not touching my iPad SIM for more than 3GB until October as I am hoping they figure out $13/GB is too aggressive but ride it out until then.

The iPad SIM only serves me as a source of prioritized ATT traffic for $35/mo. If any knows about a source for prioritized ATT traffic, would appreciate it.

Return to “Internet Service Providers”