Metro by Tmobile Quectel EM12g on Raspberry pi 3b

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
prdg79
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Metro by Tmobile Quectel EM12g on Raspberry pi 3b

Post by prdg79 »

Hi, I got kicked off AT&T ipad plan without a single notification. Spent the past week thinking it was equipment and switched over to Metro by T-mobile yesterday. I cannot seem to connect to Metro. I got two towers under 5 miles; one withing a mile. Far as I can tell, my EM12g is communicating with my Pi3b. Both At commands for cpin and cnum give back the right responses, so sim card is ok i guess. However, my Signal information is blank. Using the fast.t-mobile.com. Does Metro have a different APN?
I'm attaching the debugging log and network status. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Didneywhorl

Re: Metro by Tmobile Quectel EM12g on Raspberry pi 3b

Post by Didneywhorl »

Try fast.metropcs.com
prdg79

Post by prdg79 »

Thanks Didneywhorl. I've tried fast.metropcs.com as well but it did not work. I was just reading on RVMobileinternet.com that as of May, T-mobile is cracking down on data only users and blocking data only modems even from resellers. Its not looking good.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Show me your connection profile

Hopefully BillA chimes in, I think he uses MetroPCS. I know he uses different mvno cell plans
BillA

Post by BillA »

Didneywhorl wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:00 pm Show me your connection profile

Hopefully BillA chimes in, I think he uses MetroPCS. I know he uses different mvno cell plans

Ding - ding - ding! ;D
How may I help you?
Oh a connection problem?

No problem, MetroPCS requires the IMEI to be registered with their network (yep, the only carrier in the US), so call 888-863-8768 and try to update your IMEI with the one in the modem. Now, they may or may not accept it, if not then you're SOL. There's a list of other carriers here which do not require to register the IMEI > https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=5790#p5790

As Didneywhorl has mentioned, the correct APN is "fast.metropcs.com" (without the quotes), and try TTL 63/64/65/66/100,
prdg79

Post by prdg79 »

Thanks Didneywhorl & BillA!!!!
This is turning out to be my new hobby. I'm spending so much time on the roof, I should just setup a tent up there :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Didneywhorl, I've attached the connection profile image.
BillA, I think its going to be the IMEI thing. I went though the entire list of TTLs, Tried all the possible T-mobile apn I could find on the internet including the MetroPCS apn.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
prdg79

Post by prdg79 »

Update to the LTE saga. Bad news, good news, and more. So bad news Metro is a no go. Good news is the T-Mobile prepaid works! I need to home the attenna because current speeds are 200kb but it's more than the zero kb for the past 12 days. Thanks again Didneywhorl and BillA
BillA

Post by BillA »

prdg79 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:11 pm Update to the LTE saga. Bad news, good news, and more. So bad news Metro is a no go. Good news is the T-Mobile prepaid works! I need to home the attenna because current speeds are 200kb but it's more than the zero kb for the past 12 days. Thanks again Didneywhorl and BillA

With the proper setting MetroPCS can be made to work too, but it's a bit more involving.
I'm glad Tmo works for you.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

BillA wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:18 pm With the proper setting MetroPCS can be made to work too, but it's a bit more involving.
I'm glad Tmo works for you.
Can I get an email from you on this one? And maybe some pagePlus info?

Return to “General and Unclassified”