Gigabit Passive PoE Splitter Question

This a discussion place for anything related to wireless
jfields47
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Gigabit Passive PoE Splitter Question

Post by jfields47 »

I have one of the 5v/3A gigabit passive PoE splitters from The Wireless Haven. I forgot to order the USB3.1 Type C Male To 2.1 MM X 5.5 MM Connector Adapter to connect to a nighthawk. I thought I might be able to snip the end off a USB-C cable and then snip the barrel connector from the splitter. There are 2 wires feeding the barrel connector, red and black. The USB-C cable that I snipped had red, white, green, and bare ground. I soldered the red to red and black to the bare ground. Connected to PoE switch and then to nighthawk and it powered up. However, it will not pass an IP address. Can someone more knowledgeable than I tell me why this wouldn't work. Seemed like a simple conversion but there must be more at work here. In the mean time, I'm ordering the adapters tomorrow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BillA

Re: Gigabit Passive PoE Splitter Question

Post by BillA »

To avoid wasting time and guessing, I would first test the modem/enclosure connected directly to the router via a short USB cable, and power the router with its own power supply to make sure that you're getting an IP. If not, then it has nothing to do with the POE.

The connector really shouldn't matter as long you have it wired it correctly, the router might be drawing too much power (just a guess). Try upgrading the injector's power adapter or increase its voltage one notch higher which would supply more amperage to the splitter. Make sure the splitter is set to the correct voltage for the router. In some cases you might be able to increase the splitter's voltage to increase its amperage as most routers can run from 5 to 12Volts, but that's on you.
If it starts smoking call 911. lol

Return to “OPEN | UNCLASSIFIED”