Fibocom NL952-NA Modem 4x4 Mimo?

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
gscheb

Fibocom NL952-NA Modem 4x4 Mimo?

Post by gscheb »

Has anyone ever heard of this thing?
Does anyone know if it compatible with rooter?
Says it is a CAT12 with band 71.
Also looks like it is 4x4 mimo.
Fibocom NL952-NA.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BillA

Re: Fibocom NL952-NA Modem 4x4 Mimo?

Post by BillA »

Seems to have all the US bands, though it's hard to tell if it's gonna work in a router till you try it, especially if it's a custom modem made for a laptop or there are no drivers available in the OpenWRT.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Hello,
Currently have one of these modems. It is installed into a WG1608 Router. It will connect to the internet every time but cant get it to search the net or do anything at all.

Bellow is screen shot showing it is connected.
Connected.PNG
Below is a screen shot of the error getting when trying to do anything on the web.
Error.PNG
The supplier says they have a customer using this modem in this router with this firmware and it works for them.
For some reason having all kinds of issues. Don't understand what is going on. The only time it will work at all is some openwrt firmware but it will connect work for awhile (like 5 minutes or so) and then go out again.

Anyone have any ideas what could be going on here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Really need to see your system log to know more. Also your signal info
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Well my signal is the same as the other Modems that work. Have several that work same sim, same service, same antennas, same signal.
What I am saying don't believe this is a signal issue.
System log is that on the debug area?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

I figured, just have to ask :)

System Log is under the Status menu I believe. Theres "System Log" and "Kernel Log"
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Didneywhorl wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:04 am System Log is under the Status menu I believe. There is "System Log" and "Kernel Log"
System Log.txt
Kernel log.txt
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Your logs look good

Have you looked at text messages in sms under modem?
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Didneywhorl wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:08 pm Your logs look good
Have you looked at text messages in sms under modem?
No I didn't look at the sms text messages.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Ok Finally getting some progress on this but don't understand why!
Spent allot of time messing with this one!
This is the original Firmware it came with loaded on it.
wg1608-20200624_111921.bin
It would connect with this but would go out after about 15 minutes or so every time and then show this error.
Error.PNG

Now with this firmware it would show that error immediately not even work for a few minutes.
openwrt-WG1608-GO2020-06-10-upgrade.bin

Now I have realized in the original firmware there is a setting to do custom DNS. So I set it to the cloud flare DNS.
When I do that it will run with out fail no issues so far. So then turned the custom DNS off and within 20 minutes get that error again.
Here is a screen shot of the DNS setting talking about shown below. The default is that box is checked so it does not have Custom DNS.
Cloud Flare DNS.PNG
ok have some questions on this.
1. Does this DNS thing make sense to anyone?
2. Does Rooter have this option as well?
3. If so wander if I can go back to Rooter and set the DNS and get it to work?

Rather have Rooter on this set up. More info and things available to you then openwrt has.

Thanks for information on this
Viper67857

Post by Viper67857 »

To define custom DNS servers in goldenorb: Network, Interfaces, LAN... That's one of the first things I do when setting up any new router, as most isp's dns servers tend to be dogshit... Avoiding them solves many problems..
BillA

Post by BillA »

Had the hunch it was some DNS issue, unless the service is being blocked for some reason (TTL, UA, Hostname, etc).
The carrier's DNS caching might be timing out with the combination of this modem, something doesn't seems to mesh well. GoldenOrb/WiFix has custom DNS/Hostname settings, it needs to be set in two places, here's how:

Modem > Connection Profile > Default Profile > Advanced > Custom DNS Server1/2 > for Server1 enter "9.9.9.9" without the quotes, and for Server2 enter "8.8.8.8" without the quotes, then Save&Apply

Network > Interfaces > LAN > Edit > Common Configuration > General Setup > Use Custom DNS Servers > enter "8.8.8.8" without the quotes, press "+" and enter  "9.9.9.9" without the quotes, then Save&Apply

8.8.8.8 is Google, 9.9.9.9 is Quad9, both high performance DNS servers, however you can substitute your own favorite.
It may or may not fix you issue, worth a shot.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Well definitely is DNS causing the issue. Never been forced to set this before and used allot of different devices. This is a totally new router and modem for me. So is due to it being a different modem or the router that is causing the issue? Wouldn't think it would be the carrier T-Mobile since that is the only constant here on these set ups.
Viper67857

Post by Viper67857 »

I had the issue on my first 2 routers with my em-12g on AT&T... Current downloads, video streams, etc would keep going but any new web lookups would fail. Both of them weren't directly supported by goldenorb so I had to make my own builds. The wg1608 build isn't exactly official yet, either, so maybe firmware has something to do with it dropping the carrier dns. Either way, the 1.1.1.1 is a faster, more reliable dns, so it's best to have it there even when issues don't occur.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

So re-flashed the WG1608 with Rooter and it won't put internet out with it. Just like before will show it is connected to T-Mobile but won't have any thru put internet on it. So Guess this thing for what ever only work with OpenWrt. Which works great no issues with it. Just can't Set the TTL for it. My son likes setting that to try to get the best ping for online gaming. And other people I know need the TTL setting just for their service to work.
So probably will sell this thing if someone interested in it. Just one of the things wanted to try out before I decide on our permanent set up here.
BillA

Post by BillA »

gscheb wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:46 am So re-flashed the WG1608 with Rooter and it won't put internet out with it. Just like before will show it is connected to T-Mobile but won't have any thru put internet on it. So Guess this thing for what ever only work with OpenWrt. Which works great no issues with it. Just can't Set the TTL for it. My son likes setting that to try to get the best ping for online gaming. And other people I know need the TTL setting just for their service to work.
So probably will sell this thing if someone interested in it. Just one of the things wanted to try out before I decide on our permanent set up here.

It could be an odd combination of the firmware, carrier, and DNS caching (loosing it after some time). Did you get a chance to try the settings in my previous message? https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=10732#p10732
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

BillA wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:02 am It could be an odd combination of the firmware, carrier, and DNS caching (loosing it after some time). Did you get a chance to try the settings in my previous message? https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=10732#p10732
Tried this one below :
Modem > Connection Profile > Default Profile > Advanced > Custom DNS Server1/2 > for Server1 enter "9.9.9.9" without the quotes, and for Server2 enter "8.8.8.8" without the quotes, then Save&Apply
Figured other way wouldn't be different results. Was that wrong to think that?
prideauxx

Post by prideauxx »

Hi gsheb,

I honestly hope you get the WG1608 working and don't need to sell it--it looks like decent kit. I may be interested though if it comes to that. Watching intently your experience here, as it seems we are in similar boats.

Best,

Justin
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

prideauxx wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:21 pm Hi gsheb,

I honestly hope you get the WG1608 working and don't need to sell it--it looks like decent kit. I may be interested though if it comes to that. Watching intently your experience here, as it seems we are in similar boats.
Best,
Justin
Well I had my system get over heated in an attic. Them decided wanted to upgrade. So been buying multiple things to try them out. Whether I get this to work or not plan on selling it. Also have a Quectel EP06 & EM12.
Thinking of trying a EM20 next.
Do this for myself and family and friends in the area. Since we have no isp service available.
prideauxx

Post by prideauxx »

gscheb wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:28 pm Well I had my system get over heated in an attic. Them decided wanted to upgrade. So been buying multiple things to try them out. Whether I get this to work or not plan on selling it. Also have a Quectel EP06 & EM12.
Thinking of trying a EM20 next.
Do this for myself and family and friends in the area. Since we have no isp service available.
Similar situation here. Running a Mofi 4500 with standard Sierra modem using Ubifi.net as a MVNO. Getting an alternate Tmobile-based solution online currently using a WG3526 with an EM12-G (running into same CA issues you had). I will likely be replacing the Mofi 4500 soon with some better kit and keeping the MVNO for now. Wish I could get my hands on a EM20--that was my first choice.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

prideauxx wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:33 pm Similar situation here. Running a Mofi 4500 with standard Sierra modem using Ubifi.net as a MVNO. Getting an alternate Tmobile-based solution online currently using a WG3526 with an EM12-G (running into same CA issues you had). I will likely be replacing the Mofi 4500 soon with some better kit and keeping the MVNO for now. Wish I could get my hands on a EM20--that was my first choice.
To be honest even when the EM12 even without the Carrier Aggregation runs good!
I got whole allot of stuff recently bought and had no intention of keeping all of it. If you don't need TTL settings this Fibocom works just fine just want the ability to have TTL and most my family needs it. They are older and get the 55+ post pay plan.
Fibocom has band 71 as well. Who knows maybe someone else can figure it out. Just don't want to spend allot more time on something don't plan on keeping anyway.
Just let me know if you are serious about buying it or not. The one thing that is wrong with it is small cut out in sim card tray on outside of it. But functions fine and don't notice unless you know to look for it.
prideauxx

Post by prideauxx »

gscheb wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:49 pm To be honest even when the EM12 even without the Carrier Aggregation runs good!
I got whole allot of stuff recently bought and had no intention of keeping all of it. If you don't need TTL settings this Fibocom works just fine just want the ability to have TTL and most my family needs it. They are older and get the 55+ post pay plan.
Fibocom has band 71 as well. Who knows maybe someone else can figure it out. Just don't want to spend allot more time on something don't plan on keeping anyway.
Just let me know if you are serious about buying it or not. The one thing that is wrong with it is small cut out in sim card tray on outside of it. But functions fine and don't notice unless you know to look for it.
Thank you for the offer--I mistakenly thought you were getting rid of the router (I mean, why would you?). Apologies.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

I mean the whole deal. Router and modem installed.
WG1608 and Fibocom modem.
BillA

Post by BillA »

gscheb wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:06 pm Tried this one below :
Figured other way wouldn't be different results. Was that wrong to think that?

You may flip the DNS server as you wish, even replace them with your favorites, the key is to enter it into those places.
The drawback of installing the router in a remote enclosure/attic is the heat/cold which can wreak havoc with the chips and caps. This is why I prefer leaving the router indoors downstairs and only tether the modem by usb or if using a phone as a modem via WiFi, less cables too... course to each their own. ; )
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

BillA wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:54 am You may flip the DNS server as you wish, even replace them with your favorites, the key is to enter it into those places.
The drawback of installing the router in a remote enclosure/attic is the heat/cold which can wreak havoc with the chips and caps. This is why I prefer leaving the router indoors downstairs and only tether the modem by usb or if using a phone as a modem via WiFi, less cables too... course to each their own. ; )
Hello BillA,

I set the DNS in both of those place you said to do. Even tried different ones and it still just wont work.

Plan on putting my system back into the attic but in a controlled temperature space.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1573#p10756

This is the what the supplier is saying to do with this shown below.
Supplier Advice.PNG
Honestly don't know if this has anything to do with it?
Also with this being a Fibocom Modem can't find anywhere on the web where to change the protocol on it?

Starting to think Rooter is a lost cause on this one.
BillA

Post by BillA »

gscheb wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:13 am Hello BillA,

I set the DNS in both of those place you said to do. Even tried different ones and it still just wont work.

Plan on putting my system back into the attic but in a controlled temperature space.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1573#p10756

This is the what the supplier is saying to do with this shown below.
Supplier Advice.PNG

Honestly don't know if this has anything to do with it?
Also with this being a Fibocom Modem can't find anywhere on the web where to change the protocol on it?

Starting to think Rooter is a lost cause on this one.

QMI mode is preferred, but as far as I know Fibocom modems have these modes: Diag (could be QMI), Modem, AT, Pipe, ECM, ADB
You could try this command, but no idea if it will work on your model.
AT+GTUSBMODE=18 / 23 / 33
Yipzy

Post by Yipzy »

Have you tried to post your problem over at https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/3vx1k1r3?p=669 as well? Those guys could help you out too with more insight and I think they are working on and troubleshooting Fibocom modems. Not specific to yours but the L850-GL and soon L860-GL. I am also waiting for my L860-GL to arrive for me to mess around with.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

gscheb wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:35 pm ...
ok have some questions on this.
1. Does this DNS thing make sense to anyone?
Not sure, usually the DNS deal is SIM/Account related, but I'm sure there are other things. I've heard changing the IMEI also helps. Do you have the AT Commands manual, V1?
gscheb wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:35 pm2. Does Rooter have this option as well?
Yes, its in multiple places, I use the spot under Connection Profile.
gscheb wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:35 pm3. If so wander if I can go back to Rooter and set the DNS and get it to work?
Worth a try.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Didneywhorl wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:39 am Not sure, usually the DNS deal is SIM/Account related, but I'm sure there are other things. I've heard changing the IMEI also helps. Do you have the AT Commands manual, V1?
Yes, its in multiple places, I use the spot under Connection Profile.
Worth a try.
I have tried to change DNS and it doesn't work. Don't know anything about IMEI edits. Do not have the AT Commands manual. Would like to have it if someone does have it.
BillA

Post by BillA »

gscheb wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:43 am I have tried to change DNS and it doesn't work. Don't know anything about IMEI edits. Do not have the AT Commands manual. Would like to have it if someone does have it.

As of Aug. 1st 2020, PagePlus/Verizon and SimpleMobile/Tmobile seem to be blocking non-Sierra modems pretty aggressively. Currently there's a solution for Quectel and Simcom modems only, uniquely customized to each router using multiple parameters at the time of a new activation (not for existing lines). If anyone needs some help, click on the contact icon/bubble below my profile pic.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

BillA wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:58 pm As of Aug 1st. Tmobile/Simple/Pageplus have started blocking modems pretty aggressively, especially non-Sierra brands. I have a solution mainly for Quectel's customized at the time of each new activation/router using multiple parameters (cannot do it on existing lines).
I have not had any issues with quectel or this fibocom. The Fibocom just doesn't like the rooter software for some reason.
BillA

Post by BillA »

gscheb wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:02 pm I have not had any issues with quectel or this fibocom. The Fibocom just doesn't like the rooter software for some reason.
Blocking seems to be pretty random at this time, it has happened to quite a few users especially when they renew the monthly service, perhaps the carrier does some equipment scanning at that time.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

BillA wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:33 pm Had the hunch it was some DNS issue, unless the service is being blocked for some reason (TTL, UA, Hostname, etc).
The carrier's DNS caching might be timing out with the combination of this modem, something doesn't seems to mesh well. GoldenOrb/WiFix has custom DNS/Hostname settings, it needs to be set in two places, here's how:

Network > Interfaces > LAN > Edit > Common Configuration > General Setup > Use Custom DNS Servers > enter "8.8.8.8" without the quotes, press "+" and enter  "9.9.9.9" without the quotes, then Save&Apply

8.8.8.8 is Google, 9.9.9.9 is Quad9, both high performance DNS servers, however you can substitute your own favorite.
It may or may not fix you issue, worth a shot.
Hello BillA,
Got question about this DNS stuff. So have set this on my new setups moving forward. Well on my WG3526 have these DNS settings done. But the WiFi is turned off on the WG3526 have a access point hooked to it. A regular house hold tp-link router.
Do I need the DNS set on both the WG3526 and the tp-link router? Or just one of them? If just one of them which one?
BillA

Post by BillA »

gscheb wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:07 pm Hello BillA,
Got question about this DNA stuff. So have set this on my new setups moving forward. Well on my WG3526 have these DNA settings done. But the WiFi is turned off on the WG3526 have a access point hooked to it. A regular house hold tp-link router.
Do I need the DNS set on both the WG3526 and the tp-link router? Or just one of them? If just one of them which one?

Yes, since you have the mobile router in bypass mode, your other router is sending the DHCP/DNS/MAC/Hostname request to the mobile network. Unfortunately, there's no guarantee that the second router will be able to mask the router usage as the mobile router would.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

BillA wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:04 pm Yes, since you have the mobile router in bypass mode, your other router is sending the DHCP/DNS/MAC/Hostname request to the mobile network. Unfortunately, there's no guarantee that the second router will be able to mask the router usage as the mobile router would.
So the second router the tp-link one should have the setting to?
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

BillA wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:04 pm Yes, since you have the mobile router in bypass mode, your other router is sending the DHCP/DNS/MAC/Hostname request to the mobile network. Unfortunately, there's no guarantee that the second router will be able to mask the router usage as the mobile router would.
So the second router the tp-link one should have the setting to?
Or you saying the second one might not work either way?
BillA

Post by BillA »

gscheb wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:11 pm So the second router the tp-link one should have the setting to?
Or you saying the second one might not work either way?

Yes, it should work in theory, but no guarantee, only if the mobile router is serving as DHCP. I would set the DNS/MAC/Hostname="iPhone" in both routers as a good measure.
Tuna8er

Post by Tuna8er »

4.2.2.2 works on my mofi for secondary.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”