Modem Choice Sierra Wireless EM7565 & EM7511 vs. Quectel EM20-G

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
d-tech
Been thanked: 0

Modem Choice Sierra Wireless EM7565 & EM7511 vs. Quectel EM20-G

Post by d-tech »

Hello I am new to this 4G community and am blown away by the knowledge and contributions so I commend you all! I have a background in computer repair / IT support and putting together tube amps for audio so I am fairly technical I would like to think at least. Due to Comcast ending their node 3/4th of a mile down the road and quoting $15,000 to shell out for a new one I am currently using a 4G service from Cyberonic and using their provided modem which is nothing special likely CAT-3. I am using their provided SIM card with AT&T and at best achieve 8mbps download / 5mbps upload but want to take it to the next level as I know I am leaving speed on the table. I have a ZDAComm Yagi directional antenna rated at 16dBi for the 698-755Mhz band and also 2 Wideband 700-2700Mhz 10dBi directional antennas to
play with so far. Only the Yagi is hooked up currently and I have not dialed in the direction yet. The antenna is mounted 40ft. vertically on a pole using a 25ft. LMR-400 cable into an upper room of the house to keep the cable distance shorter. My signal levels range from -95 to -105dBm for ATT signal and there are 5 towers around me. The blue dot is my location. The top right tower is 3.5 miles from my location, lower right tower is 4.5 miles, middle tower is 1.5 miles, and left both towers 2.9 miles. I am trying to decide between the Quectel EM20-G, Sierra Wireless EM7565 & EM7511 modems. The tower information is from Cellmapper and I know it's not the most accurate but given the bands listed in my area which modem would you choose? Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gscheb

Re: Modem Choice Sierra Wireless EM7565 & EM7511 vs. Quectel EM20-G

Post by gscheb »

Hello,
Would recommend reading these two current posts to start.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1257
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1208
Out of the three you have if you are asking which is more advanced and faster that wold be the Quectel EM20-G.
Didneywhorl

Re: Modem Choice Sierra Wireless EM7565 & EM7511 vs. Quectel EM20-G

Post by Didneywhorl »

The Quectel EM20G, a category 20 modem, is a much more powerful modem. Most of the modem isn't utilized, EXCEPT it has 4 antenna ports to be able to use 4x mimo versus 2x mimo like the other cards you listed. Quectel DOES make a cat12 modem, like the two Sierras you noted. Unsurprisingly, it's called the EM12G, it too only has 2 antenna ports.

They are all great modems, really. The choice is usually about future proofing, and wether or not you want the option for 2 more antennas at the roughly $100 more price tag.
Keeping your antenna cables short is great, I would use the pair of antennas, as more antennas (mimo) allows for better signal collection.
Check the threads gscheb posted for info there.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”